Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

It seems very similar to the 7A 28 5.6

May 21, 2023 at 10:44 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

What would anyone want a 28 f/5.6 the size of a 28 f/2?

May 22, 2023 at 11:17 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

I wonder if it brings up the 35mm frame lines like the 7A version.

May 22, 2023 at 01:12 PM
cheerfulgator

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

I do love my Miticon F0.95 50mm. It has a lot of character and it's fun trying to focus on the front of the eyeball.

May 22, 2023 at 02:42 PM
leonasj
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

does any tried mitakon 28mm 5.6 on gfx body? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006079105161.html

Nov 26, 2023 at 06:07 AM
steamtrain
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

highdesertmesa wrote:
What would anyone want a 28 f/5.6 the size of a 28 f/2?

A less ambitious max aperture can allow for better IQ. The price could also be lower.

Nov 26, 2023 at 06:50 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

Amusing to watch pop-up Chinese 'companies' knocking off one another in an endless cycle of IP and copyright larceny. And not a single original idea between them.

Nov 26, 2023 at 09:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

steamtrain wrote:
A less ambitious max aperture can allow for better IQ. The price could also be lower.

Yes, I understand why I might want a 28 f/5.6 as I owned the Leica 28 Summaron for a time. My comment was to say if I'm going to be limited to f/5.6, I should at least have the benefit of a very small lens like the 28 Summaron or TTA 28 5.6. To say it another way, if the lens is going to be that big, I would rather be shooting a 28 f/2.

That said – the Mitakon 28 5.6 has a huge advantage (IMO) over the others with its 0.35m minimum focus distance. Hmm, that has me interested now

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:11 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

You are assuming that this outfit has the glass, the means or can see a profit angle in creating a really compact iteration of a slow 28. That they're not, suggests some reason not elaborated.

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:21 AM
helimat
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

Maybe this explains the size

Nov 26, 2023 at 11:54 AM
dan98

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

j.liam wrote:
Amusing to watch pop-up Chinese 'companies' knocking off one another in an endless cycle of IP and copyright larceny. And not a single original idea between them.

I'm not sure that this applies in this case. First, Mitakon is not a "pop-up" company--they have been around for decades. They used to produce quite a few SLR lenses, including a K-mount lens that I used many years ago (which was not a bad lens). Second, the optical formula for their 28/5.6 is different than the formula used in the 7Artisans 28/5.6, which in turn is different than the optical formula of the TTArtisan 28/5.6, so it is not clear to me what you mean by stolen IP. Yes, there are cases where the same design is repackaged for sale by different Chinese companies, but this is not an example of that.

Nov 26, 2023 at 01:19 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

dan98 wrote:
I'm not sure that this applies in this case. First, Mitakon is not a "pop-up" company--they have been around for decades. They used to produce quite a few SLR lenses, including a K-mount lens that I used many years ago (which was not a bad lens). Second, the optical formula for their 28/5.6 is different than the formula used in the 7Artisans 28/5.6, which in turn is different than the optical formula of the TTArtisan 28/5.6, so it is not clear to me what you mean by stolen IP. Yes, there are cases where the same design is repackaged for
...Show more

What do I mean? Leica decides upon reproducing the classic 28/5.6, so TT Artisan knocks off the very aesthetics and comes up with their optical formula (price limiting the types of glass used). Next, 7A tweaks the look and magic, another 28mm ƒ/5.6 lens. Leica decides on a faithful reproduction of its historic 50/1.2 then voila, LLL makes its knock-off ("tribute"). Mitakon? yup, they've been around for a while and I remember the shoddy quality 50/0.95 they turned out way back and dumped on the market at a steep price. IIRC, they were the 3rd party maker for the 1st iteration of Meyer-Optiks Görlitz lenses, a low-quality, sleezy deception that bankrupted the original holder of the marque.

Again, nothing new. Don't get me wrong, getting these modestly priced accessories for an M body is good fun. You occasionally find something surprising. But the culture of shameless copying/imitation/replicating/counterfeiting is what I find distasteful.

Nov 26, 2023 at 02:35 PM
dan98

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

j.liam wrote:
What do I mean? Leica decides upon reproducing the classic 28/5.6, so TT Artisan knocks off the very aesthetics and comes up with their optical formula (price limiting the types of glass used). Next, 7A tweaks the look and magic, another 28mm ƒ/5.6 lens. Leica decides on a faithful reproduction of its historic 50/1.2 then voila, LLL makes its version. Mitakon? yup, they've been around for a while and I remember the shoddy quality 50/0/.95 they turned out way back and dumped on the market at a steep price. IIRC, they were the 3rd party maker for the 1st iteration
...Show more

I am still struggling to understand how the new Mitakon lens represents an example of "IP and copyright larceny". The lens does not resemble the Leica 28/5.6 (or the TTArtisan lens), differing in its shape, overall size, and proportions. It also has 8 elements in 7 groups (versus 6/4 for the Leica), a different minimum focus distance, and even different fonts on the lens. Maybe the "aesthetics" or the "magic" are meant to be the same, but those are not protected IP (and are not even definable). As for your other points, yes, Mitakon has produced some shoddy lenses, but that also is not evidence of IP larceny. Are you suggesting that they produced the Meyer-Optiks Görlitz lenses without a license to do so? I doubt that you believe that's true. You seem to dislike the company and think that they make bad products. That's fine. I suspect that most people here would agree with you, but none of that justifies your unsubstantiated claims about their theft of IP.

Nov 26, 2023 at 03:34 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mitakon 28mm f5.6

dan98 wrote:
I am still struggling to understand how the new Mitakon lens represents an example of "IP and copyright larceny".

One maker produces a lens stikingly similar to the Leica and the others follow suit with a similar item of the same FL and oddly slow aperture.

dan98 wrote:
Are you suggesting that they produced the Meyer-Optiks Görlitz lenses without a license to do so?
Not at all. The owner of the Meyer-Optiks name had them made by Mitakon in China and then passed them off as "Made in Germany". The deception was on Meyer and the owners paid the price—though Mitakon did go along with the ‘Made in Germany’ ruse by imprinting this on the lenses.

dan98 wrote:
You seem to dislike the company and think that they make bad products. That's fine. I suspect that most people here would agree with you, but none of that justifies your unsubstantiated claims about their theft of IP.

What I said was I dislike the culture of knock-off/replication. If Leica has just reproduced lenses from their repertoire, I'm sure they have obtained patents and copyrights on the new iterations. Nothing appears to bother LLL and TT. Who's Leica going to sue, and where, in the PRC? That will undermine Leica's presence in China so the downside for them is greater than any upside.

Nov 26, 2023 at 03:54 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.