New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Indoor sports, Z6II or Z7II?

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Indoor sports, Z6II or Z7II?

I've had a Z6II for a bunch of years but recently picked up a Z7II. I have a gymnastics recital coming up for my daughters. Last year I shot with the Z6II and 70-200 f/2.8S, and also with the 1.4TC that I used for a part of it. I haven't had a chance to use the Z7II in shooting conditions like this much so I am looking for some opinions on what I bring:

Z6II + TC + 70-200 again
Z7II + 70-200, crop if needed.

I'm not super concerned with the frame-rate difference, but I am curious about what exerpiences folks have had with the AF consistency for something indoor like this. Lighting conditions last year were around f/2.8 1/1000s ISO3200 for refernce.

May 16, 2023 at 01:26 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Indoor sports, Z6II or Z7II?

Bodies share the same AF system,. Should be no difference between bodies.

May 16, 2023 at 01:52 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Indoor sports, Z6II or Z7II?

runamuck wrote:

Then please explain why the Z6ii is rated to -4.5ev and the Z7ii is -3ev.

May 16, 2023 at 01:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Indoor sports, Z6II or Z7II?

runamuck wrote:

That's part of my thinking, though their AF sensitivity is different with the Z6II focusing to -4.5 and Z7II to -3.0ev.

May 16, 2023 at 02:18 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Indoor sports, Z6II or Z7II?

Z6II is slightly more geared towards action, the Z7II leans toward landscape/portrait, etc. You probably won't notice a huge difference either way but for what you're doing I would take the Z6II for indoor gymnastics. The Z6II has a significantly larger buffer as well, if that matters to you. You will be at either 1/500 or ISO 6400 though with that TC based on the lighting conditions you describe.

May 16, 2023 at 02:46 PM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Indoor sports, Z6II or Z7II?

In low light, cropping will usually achieve better results compare to TC.

(a) you have a larger aperture, which helps with AF

(b) due to lack of photons, you will not be able to use additional pixels anyway

Because of (b), it probably doesn't matter if you use the Z6 II or the Z7 II, because there are not enough photons to be able to use the additional pixels of the Z7 II. More pixels, in this situation, just means that you can see ISO noise better and that you will have more work with noise reduction.

That said, if there are at least some situations where you have enough light, the Z7 has an advantage, as you retain more pixels after cropping.

May 16, 2023 at 03:15 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.