New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

Archive 2023 · A poll for D850 owners.

sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A poll for D850 owners.

CanadaMark wrote:
Voted "other" because I moved from a D850 to a Z9, but the Z8 didn't exist at the time. If the Z8 came out first, I would own that instead. The Z8 is the "mirrorless successor" to the D850 and then some. It's a direct competitor to the A1 for a lot less money, and gives people the grip-less option so many have been asking for in Nikon land. I think it's going to bring a lot of the remaining mirrorless holdouts over from their DSLRs.

I have been considering buying a used/refurb Z7v1 just to bring with me when traveling
...Show more

I'm wondering though couldn't the Z8 be considered a D500 replacement ? I jumped over the D850 but so many people seemed to feel that the D850 was like having a "built in" D500 because of the ability to crop to DX mode and not really give up anything IQ wise. And most claimed there was little to no difference in AF ability. So now we have the smaller body than the Z9, better AF than both of those DSLR's, and so many other features of milc. Seeing the DX frame fill the EVF with no "gray out" like the D850 is really great. Over the last three months I've been using my Z9 I feel it's certainly replaced my D500. I haven't really compared the Z8 to the D500 size wise but I guess it's a little bigger ? That and the price of the D500 at introduction are the only two factors that would make someone long for a D500 replacement in my mind. We're never going to see a screaming bargain like the D500 again, I don't think. This is strictly a feeling on my part but I don't think we'll see a high performance (Z8/Z9) body in DX. Could be very wrong.
Gary

May 16, 2023 at 03:56 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A poll for D850 owners.

sum1sgrampa wrote:
I'm wondering though couldn't the Z8 be considered a D500 replacement ? I jumped over the D850 but so many people seemed to feel that the D850 was like having a "built in" D500 because of the ability to crop to DX mode and not really give up anything IQ wise. And most claimed there was little to no difference in AF ability. So now we have the smaller body than the Z9, better AF than both of those DSLR's, and so many other features of milc. Seeing the DX frame fill the EVF with no "gray out" like the
...Show more

You could certainly look at it that way, and you wouldn't be wrong. The key is that the Z8/Z9 only serve double duty as a hypothetical D500 replacement if you can afford it and are OK with the slightly larger bodies - for some people those aren't options.

The main draw to the D500 was that it was only ~$2,000 and gave you the same AF performance as the D850 and D5, along with an unlimited buffer and 10fps (higher than a gripped D850 but lower than a D5). It was aimed directly at sports/wildlife photographers. Downsides were mostly the low-ish 20MP sensor (roughly the same as a D850 in DX mode) and a DX viewfinder. With a D850, you gained back the ability to shoot full frame and it was a much better "all round" camera because it was also an ideal camera for landscapes, studio work, or other still life while only giving up 1FPS (gripped) for action/wildlife. So for people like me who shoot a bit of everything, the D850 was a better choice. You also get nicer viewfinders on the full frame DSLRs. For someone who only shot birds, for example, buying a D500 and gluing a 200-500 or 500PF to it was a fantastic option to have.

With the Z8/Z9, it's much the same story. If/when we get a "Z900" (mirrorless D500), it is all but guaranteed to offer the same value proposition as before. It will have the important Z8/Z9 features but a much smaller sensor and a much smaller price tag. The fact that we now need stacked sensors for peak MILC performance complicates things a bit, but we can see that the Fuji H2S offers a 26MP APS-C stacked sensor at the ~$2500 price point, right where I would expect a "Z900" to be (slight premium to a D500 launch price). This time though, I suspect it will have a higher MP sensor (more than 20MP), so that won't be the same as cropping a Z8/Z9 image down to DX as it was with the D850/D500 - so maybe a small benefit there with regards to pixel density that wildlife shooters would appreciate.

Same as with the D500/D850 though, if you can afford it, you aren't going to feel like you're missing out if/when a "Z900" is announced if you already have a Z9. Even less so now that the flagship action cameras aren't limited to low MP sensors like the D5/D6 were.

May 16, 2023 at 04:24 PM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A poll for D850 owners.

I would agree with everything above. So price would be the key motivator for someone hoping for a true D500 replacement. I longed for a D500 milc for over a year. The Z9 has put all that longing to bed I bought grips for my D500 and my D810. I always hated the fact that you had to remove the grip to get at the battery in the body so I quickly gave up using them. I'm finding I'm using the vertical grip on the Z9 to the point where I would really miss it if it were gone. My apologies to the OP, I see I've gone off topic.
Gary

May 16, 2023 at 05:02 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A poll for D850 owners.

At this stage I will not be selling my Z9 for a Z8 but I also have Z7II which is my lightweight body for travel. However, if I need a lightweighter body for travel which has the AF abilities of the Z9, like tracking birds etc, I may consider getting a Z8 as an adjunct to my Z9 in the future but I don't need a Z8 at the moment.

May 16, 2023 at 06:48 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A poll for D850 owners.

It's a close one between moving to a Z8 and keeping the D850.

May 23, 2023 at 04:01 PM
1              end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.