FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              end

Archive 2023 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

Alistair1 wrote:
The big advantage the Z8 and Z9 have over the Sony range is their fast start-up time. The Sony A1 is so slow to start up that an elevated risk of missed shots presents if turned off between shots. The Z8/9 share no such concern. For this reason the Z8 battery would probably outlast the A1 in the kayak scenario described above.

You may want to update that after the most recent firmware. Many are claiming that the start up time is now very fast. I haven't done the update yet as I am always cautious about that, so I am not confirming that information. In any case I agree that as of my last experience with this the Z9/8 has an advantage in this regard. With my current firmware if I have the camera off and at my side while walking, by the time I turn it on, and get it to my eye it is ready to shoot. So I have never had trouble in this regard. I am not a bird shooter.

May 23, 2023 at 07:52 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

I have shot with many cameras rom the D70/80/90, D300, D500, D7200, D800, Z6 and 7. I sold several to finance newer cameras. The Z6 I sold as it was all but useless in DX mode. The z7 gets a much higher pixel density. I never had any problem with startup time on any DSLR or Z6/7. All are minuscule compared to the time getting the camera up to my face. I have missed shots for many reasons, but startup time was never an issue. Diabetic neuropathy has removed some feeling in my fingers, and Essential Tremors mean I now disgustingly often simply miss the shutter button because my finger moves unexpectdedly.

May 24, 2023 at 03:11 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

1bwana1 wrote:
You may want to update that after the most recent firmware. Many are claiming that the start up time is now very fast. I haven't done the update yet as I am always cautious about that, so I am not confirming that information. In any case I agree that as of my last experience with this the Z9/8 has an advantage in this regard. With my current firmware if I have the camera off and at my side while walking, by the time I turn it on, and get it to my eye it is ready to shoot. So I
...Show more

I just tested my A1. I tried with 3 different lenses in case that made a difference. I ran the test 10 times with each lens. From the fully off position the time it took to populate the rear screen and take a shot was less than 1 second. That is faster than I can get the camera to my eye to frame a shot. I see no issue with start up time on my A1.

Now my Leica M11 does take time to start up and I have missed shots because of it. However, I can fully mitigate this with proper settings. The way I set up standby mode startup is instantaneous. The power consumption is low enough that one battery lasts me all day most of the time.

May 24, 2023 at 04:56 AM
SNJOps
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

Wouldn’t say its a troll thread but it’s definitely click baity one in my opinion. You could have labelled the thread that the user swapped their their Z9 for a Z8 but instead chose to state that the user sold their Z9 which while being factually correct is still misleading because full context is missing.

May 24, 2023 at 09:15 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

1bwana1 wrote:
I just tested my A1. I tried with 3 different lenses in case that made a difference. I ran the test 10 times with each lens. From the fully off position the time it took to populate the rear screen and take a shot was less than 1 second. That is faster than I can get the camera to my eye to frame a shot. I see no issue with start up time on my A1.

Now my Leica M11 does take time to start up and I have missed shots because of it. However, I can fully mitigate this
...Show more

And Geoff reported that while the A1 woke up faster at first after the FW update, it went back to be erratic and unpredictable after shooting it for a week. Huge YMMV on this update, seems totally anecdotal so far.

May 24, 2023 at 09:55 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

sum1sgrampa wrote:
Well, I'm pretty sure I won't. I shoot a Z9 and have no plans to change

This post is primarily for 1bwana1 and sum1sgrampa, but anyone is welcome to comment.

After several years of hashing it over, I finally opted for the Z8. I have several weeks to test it myself whereupon I *may* return it for a Z9. But I do not want to be obligated to an integrated body.

I will test the battery life of the Z8 with stills and plenty of video clips. My video clips are short and then stitched together in post. I see no situation in which I will need to keep video engaged for more than say..... 20 seconds... and usually less than that. My outings last 3 to 4 hours. God forbid I will have to carry 3 or 4 extra batteries. I do not mind one at all. If I have to carry all those batteries, I'll return the Z8 for the Z9

I think this battery issue is overblown ........ that is, for my shooting habits

Robert

Shame on you Nikon. You should have allowed for the "18" battery in the grip, which is what I use in my D850 and it takes a week or more of outings to even put a dent in one of those larger batteries.

Suggestion: Why not build a wider grip that will accept the "18" (which you should done in the first place) ?

Edited on May 24, 2023 at 10:23 AM · View previous versions

May 24, 2023 at 10:14 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

I decided to look up Jason since I'd never heard of him.

Less than 2000 IG followers and about 16.5k YT followers with recent videos struggling to break 1000 views. Totally irrelevant in today's landscape, so no great surprise no one seems to know who he is.

His photography (what's posted to IG at least) certainly doesn't seem to warrant workshop services.

May 24, 2023 at 10:21 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

RoamingScott wrote:
And Geoff reported that while the A1 woke up faster at first after the FW update, it went back to be erratic and unpredictable after shooting it for a week. Huge YMMV on this update, seems totally anecdotal so far.

It may have something to do with the big lenses Geoff uses. The biggest I tested on was my 70-200 GM vII. But the speeds I experienced are exactly as stated. I do not even have the update the Geoff is reporting on installed yet.

I guess I could post a video somewhere.

May 24, 2023 at 10:22 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

1bwana1 wrote:
It may have something to do with the big lenses Geoff uses. The biggest I tested on was my 70-200 GM vII. But the speeds I experienced are exactly as stated. I do not even have the update the Geoff is reporting on installed yet.

I guess I could post a video somewhere.

The point, as you've said, is that no two use cases are alike. Some will see fast speeds, some will see slower.

Sometimes my Z9 wakes up instantly, sometimes it has to think some deep thoughts and drink a coffee first. In the end, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

May 24, 2023 at 10:23 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

RoamingScott wrote:
The point, as you've said, is that no two use cases are alike. Some will see fast speeds, some will see slower.

Sometimes my Z9 wakes up instantly, sometimes it has to think some deep thoughts and drink a coffee first. In the end, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

In my use and apparently in yours it doesn't matter. But others seem to think it is important to theirs.

May 24, 2023 at 10:25 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

I just did a test with my longest lens the 20-600 G. It in fact is a bit slower for the camera to start up than with the GM lenses I tested previously. The GM lenses were consistent in their almost instant start up. The 200-600 G is a bit erratic in this regard as others have reported. The pattern for this seems to be related to how in sync the lens and the camera are. If I switch on the camera with the lens in some random focal length, aperture, focus point, the time before ready to shoot is longer as the lens seems to sync up with the camera before the screen populates, and the camera can shoot. You can hear the lens making adjustments during this time. If I then turn off the camera so the lens and the camera are in sync, when I turn the camera back on it is again almost instantaneous, less than one second. Obviously it takes more time to sync a big heavy lens than the smaller lighter GM lenses. But in my tests the longest startup was still less than two seconds.

I just did some quick and not very scientific tests, but it was noticeable to me. More exploration is obviously required to understand this fully.

May 24, 2023 at 07:43 PM
Eric214
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

RoamingScott wrote:

Not sure if you're aware but if you have the shutter shield on so that it closes when the power is off, the camera starts up in about 1 second. If you keep the shutter shield off, the camera starts up and is ready to shoot in just .5 seconds which is as fast as my D500 and D850 were. This is why i leave it off unless I'm changing lenses

May 25, 2023 at 05:04 PM
Eric214
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

RoamingScott wrote:
I decided to look up Jason since I'd never heard of him.

Less than 2000 IG followers and about 16.5k YT followers with recent videos struggling to break 1000 views. Totally irrelevant in today's landscape, so no great surprise no one seems to know who he is.

His photography (what's posted to IG at least) certainly doesn't seem to warrant workshop services.

Yeah this guy isn't on anyone's radar for the most part.

May 25, 2023 at 05:06 PM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

bs kite wrote:
This post is primarily for 1bwana1 and sum1sgrampa, but anyone is welcome to comment.

After several years of hashing it over, I finally opted for the Z8. I have several weeks to test it myself whereupon I *may* return it for a Z9. But I do not want to be obligated to an integrated body.

I will test the battery life of the Z8 with stills and plenty of video clips. My video clips are short and then stitched together in post. I see no situation in which I will need to keep video engaged for more than say..... 20
...Show more

Well Robert, I have yet to push the record button on my Z9. I never shoot video so I'm no help to you at all. My guess is that if you get the Z8 you will love it. I agree, I think the battery life "issue" is probably way overblown. I probably shot 3,000 images in about three hours at the Peregrine site on my last trip to SoCal. Didn't put a dent in the Z9 battery. Just go for it
Gary

May 25, 2023 at 06:29 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

When I added the battery grip to my D850 cameras and could use the EN-EL18 batteries I was able to shoot for 2 full days without changing batteries. It made it simpler to recharge the batteries from the two bodies at night and be ready the next day to start again. When I was using the much smaller EN-EL15 batteries I was having to recharge 4 or more of them each night and monitor the chargers to replace a charged battery with the next one to charge.

This is why I gave little consideration to the Sony or Canon cameras for replacing my Nikon DSLR cameras when moving to mirrorless.

I also like the eronomics of the full size Nikon cameras and find they more comfortable to hold with my right hand only, even with a heavy lens attached.

With Canon and with the Z8 one can attach a battery grip but in both cases they hold two small size batteries which is OK but not ideal. Using two $70 EN-EL15 instead of a single $140 EN-EL18 battery provides no cost savings with the Z8 camera.

For landscape and portrait and street photography the Z8 is a good substitute for the Z9 camera. It is not as good for shooting video with its smaller battery.

May 28, 2023 at 03:26 PM
tobycat2
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

So what I gleaned from this four page post is that a smaller battery doesn’t last as long as a larger battery, that no one knows who this photography Jim guy is, and some weird user likes to gloat about reading. I hate to say I wasted 8 min of my time…but

May 29, 2023 at 08:03 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

Welcome to the Nikon forum.

tobycat2 wrote:
So what I gleaned from this four page post is that a smaller battery doesn’t last as long as a larger battery, that no one knows who this photography Jim guy is, and some weird user likes to gloat about reading. I hate to say I wasted 8 min of my time…but

May 29, 2023 at 08:04 AM
tobycat2
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

RoamingScott wrote:
Welcome to the Nikon forum.

Lol you only beat me by 9 months on this site. It’s still better than DPR forums (as useful as they can be)

May 29, 2023 at 08:26 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

elkhornsun wrote:
When I added the battery grip to my D850 cameras and could use the EN-EL18 batteries I was able to shoot for 2 full days without changing batteries. It made it simpler to recharge the batteries from the two bodies at night and be ready the next day to start again. When I was using the much smaller EN-EL15 batteries I was having to recharge 4 or more of them each night and monitor the chargers to replace a charged battery with the next one to charge.

This is why I gave little consideration to the Sony or Canon cameras
...Show more

Your experience with the "18" in your D850 is exactly my experience with the "18" in my D850. I sometimes forgot and went *many* days without charging the "18".

My outings are short and I do not recall having to charge 4 or more "15's". In fact, I do not recall ever needing more than one but that would be risky I guess. I do not even have 4 "15's"

I have a Z8 on order and will probably wait and test it. But in the end I may switch it for a brand new Z9.

Nikon's pro-grade pieces are built like rocks. Yes, I agree with you. We know that the Z9 is one of those rocks.

I am not afraid to hang a 5 pound lens (the 200-500) off my gripped D850 with one hand, at my side. Now, when I lift it, I do move my left arm in there to give my right arm help. I have been doing this for years and have had no issues at all.

Afterthought: I think I am trying to get away from that risky habit. As you already know, weight is the problem. The Z8 weighs 2 lbs and the Z9 2.9. But the Z9 is compacted into 149mm's square, while the Z8 with its optional grip attached is much bigger.... even bigger than my D850 with its grip attach.

May 29, 2023 at 08:45 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.