Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3       4       end
  

Archive 2023 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9

  
 
runamuck
Offline
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


I have no comment. Juszt reporting what he said.
https://luminescentphoto.com/blog/2023/05/15/i-sold-my-nikon-z9/



May 15, 2023 at 05:54 PM
stompyq
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


who?


May 15, 2023 at 06:07 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


click bait and i bet that took a little to dig out.


May 15, 2023 at 06:11 PM
Alistair1
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


I have read it so you don't have to🙂:

He sold the Z9 to order a Z8.
QUOTE:
"Enter the Nikon Z8
Iím glad you asked! The newly announced Nikon Z8 is exactly the camera I wanted from Nikon. I hesitated to purchase the Nikon Z9 when it was announced due to its massive size, but its autofocus system is downright amazing, and it has some features that I really like (built in GPS, 4-axis tilt LCD, bird and animal detection). Iíve absolutely been happy using my Z9, but it is certainly heavy, especially for international travel. I saw some of my clients struggle to handle the Z9, especially when paired with a telephoto lens like the brilliant 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 Z Nikkor."
END QUOTE.

He also added an Oly MFT kit for it's weight and size and which he praises highly.

And to the OP, you sir are establishing yourself on this board as quite the troll.



May 15, 2023 at 06:33 PM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


Alistair1 wrote:
I have read it so you don't have to🙂:

He sold the Z9 to order a Z8.
QUOTE:
"Enter the Nikon Z8
Iím glad you asked! The newly announced Nikon Z8 is exactly the camera I wanted from Nikon. I hesitated to purchase the Nikon Z9 when it was announced due to its massive size, but its autofocus system is downright amazing, and it has some features that I really like (built in GPS, 4-axis tilt LCD, bird and animal detection). Iíve absolutely been happy using my Z9, but it is certainly heavy, especially for international travel. I saw some of my clients struggle
...Show more

Thank you. I saw this on FB and reposted here. If reporting makes me a troll, so be it. I frequent several FB photography pages and other sites. If you don't like what I post, block me. BTW, I DID read it before I posted it.



May 15, 2023 at 06:41 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


he's no troll. i'd rather have him then a few others that impose themselves here.


May 15, 2023 at 07:16 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


So the hot take here is the Z8 is smaller than the Z9?


May 15, 2023 at 07:41 PM
TooManyShots
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


Desmolicious wrote:
So the hot take here is the Z8 is smaller than the Z9?


Speaking of hot..z8 overheats in 8k recording in about 30 minutes...while the Z9 does not...



May 15, 2023 at 08:04 PM
Alistair1
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9




runamuck wrote:
Thank you. I saw this on FB and reposted here. If reporting makes me a troll, so be it. I frequent several FB photography pages and other sites. If you don't like what I post, block me. BTW, I DID read it before I posted it.

Ok, maybe I was too hasty in which case I withdraw and apologize. Just getting a little tired of some stuff going on here ATM and diminishing this board.



May 15, 2023 at 08:24 PM
1bwana1
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


TooManyShots wrote:
Speaking of hot..z8 overheats in 8k recording in about 30 minutes...while the Z9 does not...


I have read that this is very card used dependant.



May 15, 2023 at 08:28 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


even the Z9 is card dependent for maximized performance

and there's a whole slew of questionable cards out there that are marketed by "used car salesmen."



May 15, 2023 at 08:47 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


TooManyShots wrote:
Speaking of hot..z8 overheats in 8k recording in about 30 minutes...while the Z9 does not...


Not on external power, according to Matt Irwin, just as I mentioned yesterday. You cannot expect to shoot longer runtimes off the internal battery on a small body camera with less internal thermal control.



May 15, 2023 at 10:01 PM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


Alistair1 wrote:
Ok, maybe I was too hasty in which case I withdraw and apologize. Just getting a little tired of some stuff going on here ATM and diminishing this board.


Apology accepted. I am all over the web and if I see something interesting (to me anyway) I will post it. Before I post anything I do read it. Right now I am over t DPR going through their landscape series. I have found it very interesting.


FWIW facebook has a slew of photograhy pages. I often go through just to get ideas. Some is drek, some are really great. And there are 3 IR pages that I follow.



May 17, 2023 at 11:29 PM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


Z8 is 2 lbs and the z9 weighsz 3 pounds. That is substantial to these old bones.


May 17, 2023 at 11:49 PM
ChrisMak
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


This actually is a very positive post that is linked by the OP, and I could have written it, if I had still been a Nikon user.

The Z8 will only grow the Nikon community, from now on there is no need for heated debates between users that switch away from Nikon because of the weight and size of the Z9 (like myself) and users that are intolerant to that argument and use generic arguments like "better balance with long lenses" to enforce the benign nature of the Z9 casing, while some just downright hate the unnecessary size and bulk (those that wanted to migrate from the D850 or -like me- D500).

The Z8 now proves that all that size and weight is in fact only needed for prolonged 8K shooting, as was clear from the onset. All those that won't be shooting hours of 8K now have a more userfriendly body. What's not to like?



May 18, 2023 at 03:06 AM
Eric214
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


Alistair1 wrote:
Ok, maybe I was too hasty in which case I withdraw and apologize. Just getting a little tired of some stuff going on here ATM and diminishing this board.



LoL they must be the riff raft from DPReview



May 18, 2023 at 03:54 AM
Eric214
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


ChrisMak wrote:
This actually is a very positive post that is linked by the OP, and I could have written it, if I had still been a Nikon user.

The Z8 will only grow the Nikon community, from now on there is no need for heated debates between users that switch away from Nikon because of the weight and size of the Z9 (like myself) and users that are intolerant to that argument and use generic arguments like "better balance with long lenses" to enforce the benign nature of the Z9 casing, while some just downright hate the unnecessary size and bulk (those
...Show more

And Z8, the owner of absurd crappy battery life even for stills. I laugh every time a see a Z9 user say they are selling their Z9 for aZ8.



May 18, 2023 at 03:57 AM
NikonClio64
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


1bwana1 wrote:
I have read that this is very card used dependant.


This has just been confirmed in a series of tests by Nikon UK's Ricci Chera.... He previously published the first information on how certain CFexp cards overheat in Z9, and this was also as the first Z9 cameras began to be sold.



These are torture tests compared to how many Z8 owners are likely to use the camera, particularly for stills.

Thom Hogan has cleared up more misinformation - including battery life

https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/myths-sprout-spontaneously.html

https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/continued-z8-commentary.html



May 18, 2023 at 04:12 AM
ChrisMak
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


Eric214 wrote:
And Z8, the owner of absurd crappy battery life even for stills. I laugh every time a see a Z9 user say they are selling their Z9 for aZ8.


Now honestly, how long does a battery swap take?

But understand, my point is that there is now a choice, and it should have been there earlier i.m.o. even though I understand company politics ŗ la "exhaust Z9 sales first" bla bla.



May 18, 2023 at 04:29 AM
ilkka_nissila
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why Jason P. Odell sold his Z9


The 30 min (ish) recording before overheating is for 8K 60 fps RAW video and depends on memory card and conditions. Note that using this format, after 30 min of recording, one would have a 1.3 TB video file filling up memory card space and later the computer. I cannot see it being practical for regular use. Think about how much data one would have after (say) 20 or 30 years
of using 8K RAW video at 60 fps.

However, up to 2 hour continuous recording without overheating has been reported using other 8K video formats. E.g. Gerald Undone reported 1h 53min recording in raw 8K video with 24 fps frame rate, when the battery ran out. In more normal video formats, e.g. oversampled 4K 24 fps mode, the Z8 recorded 1h 58min when the battery ran out. No overheating in that time. 4K 60 fps oversampled stopped after 56 minutes until overheating happened.

It really only seems to be an issue for long recording using the most demanding video formats. Things that I would use (i.e. 4K 25 fps oversampled) seem to run for almost two hours continuously. That's more than adequate for a lot of practical applications.

For 10-bit, high frame rate, and 8K RAW 12-bit, based on the reports indeed the Z9 would be a more reliable choice for long clips and/or heavy use.

I personally prefer the Z9 for the integral vertical grip design. However, if one prefers a smaller size camera the Z8 seems like an excellent option. Even if one does video, as the smaller and lighter camera would likely be significantly easier to use on a gimbal.




TooManyShots wrote:
Speaking of hot..z8 overheats in 8k recording in about 30 minutes...while the Z9 does not...




May 18, 2023 at 06:09 AM
       2       3       4       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       3       4       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.