New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Help with 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR

BuD500

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR

My first post here on FM forums.
I recently bought a used 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR that worked fine for a while. I just noticed that when I remove and install the Zemlin hood that it came with, I can see and feel that the front of the lens moves a couple millimeters each way. The movement is also seen at the same time in the focus distance indicator. Is this movement normal for a 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens?

May 13, 2023 at 01:20 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR

I am holding the lens right now and trying to fully understand your post.

This stock cap (the one I have... not the Zemlin) for Nikon 500PF has always been difficult to remove. I learned that I must do it in a certain way for it to be easily removed.... otherwise it is a fight.

When a hood is removed the front of the lens must not move at all... not even a mm. That is a problem but of course can be fixed. Imo, the battle I can have with removal of the hood may eventually result in the front of the lens showing that movement that you have. It is not right. It is not good. I think it is poorly designed. However, as I said, I worked on it and figured out an exact way to grip the hood for easy removal of the hood.

I do not understand what you mean by "The movement is also seen at the same time in the focus distance indicator". I am holding the lens and wondering how that "FDI" can move too. By FDI are you referring to the dial within a window... the dial that moves when the lens focuses? Please clarify.

Welcome to FM forum

May 13, 2023 at 06:44 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR

We should not have to fight to remove a lens hood. I once pulled and twisted so hard on my 80-400 AFS that I pulled the front of the lens off. I had been having trouble removing the hood and was frustrated with the problem. Then, at the end of an outing a young eagle was headed directly at me and low. Eagle opps for me are rare. So I fought to get it off in time and it would not budge. So, I finally forced it until the front of the lens came off. On the other hand, the hood on my 200-500 was easily knocked off when it hit the gunwale and went to the pond bottom. After that happened I have kept the hood permanently attached to the 200-500 with gaff tape. It works.

May 13, 2023 at 07:09 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR

Sorry for posting a YT vid just for this. How would I have simply copied and pasted a link to the vid? Tell me how and I'll do it next time.

Here is an easy way to detach and re-attach the 500PF stock hood

1st, depress the button. Then *push* (not pull) to rotate the hood off. To re-attach, do the same thing... *Push*... not pull.

I guess I can understand the challenge the manufacturer has. Too tight and it's a fight. But if not attached tightly enough it will fall off with just a bump. That is what happened to my first 200-500 hood. Just tape it for security.

May 13, 2023 at 03:07 PM
BuD500

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR

bs kite wrote:
I am holding the lens right now and trying to fully understand your post.

This stock cap (the one I have... not the Zemlin) for Nikon 500PF has always been difficult to remove. I learned that I must do it in a certain way for it to be easily removed.... otherwise it is a fight.

When a hood is removed the front of the lens must not move at all... not even a mm. That is a problem but of course can be fixed. Imo, the battle I can have with removal of the hood may eventually result in
...Show more

I don't know how I can explain it better. If I knew how to upload a video onto here it would show you what I mean. Basically, the front half of the lens from the focus ring to the front of the lens moves a couple millimeters each way as one. The small play is there if I'm moving the focus ring or the front of the lens and I just now noticed that the front half also has a little play when applying some up and down pressure on the front of the lens. I think it needs repair. The autofocus works but it doesn't focus at about 100 yards and beyond unless I manually turn the focus ring past the infinity mark.

The Zemlin hood doesn't seem to work like the stock hood as you described.

Thank you for the welcome

May 13, 2023 at 06:59 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR

BuD500 wrote:
I don't know how I can explain it better. If I knew how to upload a video onto here it would show you what I mean. Basically, the front half of the lens from the focus ring to the front of the lens moves a couple millimeters each way as one. The small play is there if I'm moving the focus ring or the front of the lens and I just now noticed that the front half also has a little play when applying some up and down pressure on the front of the lens. I think it needs repair.
...Show more

You are welcome.

I am glad that you have a good attitude about repairing it. You already know that it is a great lens. It is worth getting it back to where it should be. Who would you have repair it? I just noticed that you are in AK.

May 13, 2023 at 08:19 PM
BuD500

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR

I was told that Nikon had stopped selling parts for repair so, I'll probably send it in to Nikon's west coast repair center.

May 16, 2023 at 07:23 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.