Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7              end
  

Archive 2023 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

  
 
AcuteShadows
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


RobCD wrote:
Yes the filter size is one aspect but I also use the Nisi 100mm system a lot and while it can be used with both the 14-30 f4 and the 14-24 f2.8 S, there are some differences. It's been a while since I tested the 14-24 setup so someone can correct me if I'm remembering something wrong. Also, Nisi may have made improvements that I'm not aware of.

From what I remember, you can't use the NISI CPL with the 14-24 f2.8 which is not only a limitation with that specific lens but also makes using the Nisi system between
...Show more

Thank you for the explanation! I'm using a B+W 112mm polarizing filter with the 14-24mm f/2.8 which works very well. However, there is kind of a scarcity of filter variants (e.g., ND filters) that are available at 112mm.



May 18, 2023 at 12:00 PM
stompyq
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


AcuteShadows wrote:
It's not f/2.8 as such, but the improvement in quality when using lenses with a larger maximum aperture at smaller aperture settings. This also depends on the particular lens, and often better quality is only offered in combination with a larger maximum aperture. For me, the advantages are:

- less vignetting

- better and constant color reproduction across the frame (here, in my experience, Milvus 50mm f/1.4 > Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 S > Nikkor 50mm 1.8 S > Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 S > Nikkor 24-70mm f/4 S)

- higher sharpness across the frame

- less aberrations (with tree branches against the sky, reflections on
...Show more

I'm confused by what you say. Are you saying that f2.8 or faster lenses are all what you say at f8/f11 and that much better than f4 lenses at f8/f11? because those are the apertures you should be for most landscapes to maximize depth of field while minimizing diffraction




May 22, 2023 at 01:48 PM
maverick777
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


AcuteShadows wrote:
Thank you for the explanation! I'm using a B+W 112mm polarizing filter with the 14-24mm f/2.8 which works very well. However, there is kind of a scarcity of filter variants (e.g., ND filters) that are available at 112mm.


One option are Kase magnetic filters which comes in 112mm. I use an 82mm kit. I decided to get these filters instead of square filters because they are much more convenient when traveling and setting up. It's so simple to pop them on an off.



May 22, 2023 at 03:02 PM
AcuteShadows
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


stompyq wrote:
I'm confused by what you say. Are you saying that f2.8 or faster lenses are all what you say at f8/f11 and that much better than f4 lenses at f8/f11? because those are the apertures you should be for most landscapes to maximize depth of field while minimizing diffraction



Yes, they are generally better at f/8 and f/11, though part of the reason is that these lenses are generally better. Furthermore, if possible, I'd take landscape images at f/5.6 rather than f/8 or f/11.



May 23, 2023 at 12:26 AM
AcuteShadows
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


maverick777 wrote:
One option are Kase magnetic filters which comes in 112mm. I use an 82mm kit. I decided to get these filters instead of square filters because they are much more convenient when traveling and setting up. It's so simple to pop them on an off.


Yes, that is one option, but it is one of only a few available options.



May 23, 2023 at 12:27 AM
ArizonaImage
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel



The Z8 is for those who wanted a smaller Z9 for BIF or video. If you aren't shooting fast action or video, than the Z7 II makes more sense. You'll get better IQ at low light (BSI vs Stacked). I'm still waiting on the Z6 III.



May 23, 2023 at 04:00 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


ArizonaImage wrote:
The Z8 is for those who wanted a smaller Z9 for BIF or video. If you aren't shooting fast action or video, than the Z7 II makes more sense. You'll get better IQ at low light (BSI vs Stacked). I'm still waiting on the Z6 III.


I already laid out a huge list of QoL things the Z8 gives you over the Z7ii even for slower subjects. It's all down to how important those are for a person.

It's not clear that the Z7ii "makes more sense" in a global sense. In fact the Z8 Starlight mode is a total game changer for astro, one of the slowest possible genres.



May 23, 2023 at 04:04 PM
akul
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


RoamingScott wrote:
I already laid out a huge list of QoL things the Z8 gives you over the Z7ii even for slower subjects. It's all down to how important those are for a person.

It's not clear that the Z7ii "makes more sense" in a global sense. In fact the Z8 Starlight mode is a total game changer for astro, one of the slowest possible genres.


Not only for Astro, but low light shooting in general, starlight mode looks very useful, so as the articulate screen for portrait position shooting.




May 24, 2023 at 07:15 AM
ArizonaImage
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


RoamingScott wrote:
I already laid out a huge list of QoL things the Z8 gives you over the Z7ii even for slower subjects. It's all down to how important those are for a person.

It's not clear that the Z7ii "makes more sense" in a global sense. In fact the Z8 Starlight mode is a total game changer for astro, one of the slowest possible genres.


Again, assuming what HIS needs are. Starlight mode won't make the IQ of a stacked vs BSI sensor any better.



May 24, 2023 at 06:04 PM
RoamingScott
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


I never mentioned IQ.


May 24, 2023 at 06:47 PM
PIOK
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


According to Matt Irwin there is more coming ( and I think he knows as much as Ricci - Nikon Ambassador )
I will wait for Z7 III or wait what next ---- Z8 is too big with less battery life than Z7 II and still not the lowest price as landscape camera. Once we know more choice will be easier









May 24, 2023 at 07:01 PM
elkhornsun
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


If you are spending $200 for a RRS L bracket that is on you. Sellers on Amazon provide equivalent brackets at less than a third the price. CNC aluminum is the same whether it comes from a Mormon company in Utah or from an Asian company.


May 28, 2023 at 03:38 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


let's just refer to it as USA makers (as there are a few) vs an offshore makers. the subtle variables can be discussed privately if you wish. after seeing a few offshore ones i am more than happy with my USA designed and made one. The one where more thought was put into design, function and quality with the body.


May 28, 2023 at 03:48 PM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


elkhornsun wrote:
If you are spending $200 for a RRS L bracket that is on you. Sellers on Amazon provide equivalent brackets at less than a third the price. CNC aluminum is the same whether it comes from a Mormon company in Utah or from an Asian company.


You know of course that Joseph Johnson who owns RRS bought the company when they were living Shanghai China. His Wife is Chinese. They still source some products from China. When he bought it RRSW was located in San Louis Obispo, California. He later moved to Utah because of the lower costs there for both his company and living for his employees. I don't know whether he is Mormon or not, but for the life of me cannot think of why anyone would reference someone's religion in the framework of the conversation in this thread.

The discussion should be about products available, quality, service, and price.



May 28, 2023 at 05:08 PM
sjms
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel


and those products are the tripod bags, ball head pouches, tee shirts, hats and other soft goods. and they even mention their sourcing.
yes, he and his family are followers of the Morman faith and it has no relevance. i was brought up an Irish Catholic.



May 29, 2023 at 06:43 PM
groob
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel




sjms wrote:
let's just refer to it as USA makers (as there are a few) vs an offshore makers. the subtle variables can be discussed privately if you wish. after seeing a few offshore ones i am more than happy with my USA designed and made one. The one where more thought was put into design, function and quality with the body.


Iím can attest that an L bracket from Sunway is not equivalent to RRS. Iíve used a Sunway for a few years now, and itís flimsier and more prone to loosening. Itís nearly come completely off my camera a few times. Lesson learned about it. OTOH, a Kirk L bracket seemed equivalent.



May 29, 2023 at 07:02 PM
1       2       3              7              end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7              end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.