New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2023 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

PIOK
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

Z8 - Landscape and Travel - first let me say it is an amazing camera ( but here are mine complains )

1* Nikon is very proud they build so amazing camera which is "lighter and smaller than D850" ( they forget that is really much bigger and heavier vs Nikon Z6 and Z7 - anyway it seems like all matter is to bring D850 users to Z system

2* Bigger means - another $200 RRS L plate for many landscape photographers (camera is priced well if I can only buy for $4400 US - in my case is not gonna be that easy )

3* Let see how it fits to mirrorless ICU's once the L-Plate is attached

4* How much time will Nikon take to bring Z7 III

I think with my Z7 II ( Z8 does not bring as much - but as I always take 2 cameras with me I want to replace my Z6 so I hope for Z7 III or I may add Z8 one day - but this size and weight put me off )

I can carry my backpack, but sometimes is really hard to fit this big lenses and cameras and not pass weight limits if you go for hiking/ landscape photography trips
Is only 200g more but this is huge ( why I will spend tons of money for ultralight camping equipment and expensive clothes and kill the difference with heavier cameras )
But I want the best cameras - don't get me wrong ( but with Z8 I feel is step backward to my previous D810 - size/weight wise )

Anyway is nice to have such a serious problems

May 12, 2023 at 11:12 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

1) Bringing D850 users into the new mount is a huge fiscal opportunity for Nikon. That's clearly what this camera is designed to do.

2) That's a preference, not everyone uses L plates. Regardless, if you're a plate user, you're buying a new one for whatever new camera regardless, so how is this a Z8 negative?

3) ?

4) How is this Z8 related?

You don't need anything more than a Z7 for great landscape photography, let alone the Z7ii. Why are you so concerned about this when you have a working setup? No one's making you buy a Z8, so why the whining?

May 12, 2023 at 11:17 AM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

RoamingScott wrote:
1) Bringing D850 users into the new mount is a huge fiscal opportunity for Nikon. That's clearly what this camera is designed to do.

2) That's a preference, not everyone uses L plates. Regardless, if you're a plate user, you're buying a new one for whatever new camera regardless, so how is this a Z8 negative?

3) ?

4) How is this Z8 related?

You don't need anything more than a Z7 for great landscape photography, let alone the Z7ii. Why are you so concerned about this when you have a working setup? No one's making you buy a Z8, so why the whining?

2) as you know Nikon Z6, Z6 II , Z7, Z7II use the same L plate so this is really great ( if Z6 III and Z7 III use the same I am sure many people will like this fact )

3) Z8 is higher and mirrorless ICUs are not the same hight like old DSLR ICU ( Z8 will probably fill it completely, that's mean I can not put my laptop on the top of it )

4) It is - I wish to have moving screen for low angle horizontal shoots, better autofocus at night, illuminated buttons, red dull screen option

May 12, 2023 at 11:34 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

So you're just disappointed that the Z8 isn't just a Z7iii, got it. The Z8 is clearly not the right camera for your preferences. Sony exists, or you can wait...those are the options.

May 12, 2023 at 11:36 AM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

RoamingScott wrote:
So you're just disappointed that the Z8 isn't just a Z7iii, got it. The Z8 is clearly not the right camera for your preferences. Sony exists, or you can wait...those are the options.

I already own the best Sony camera on the market - Rx100 7 so there is not reason to downgrade to any other toy

May 12, 2023 at 11:40 AM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

PIOK wrote:
( but with Z8 I feel is step backward to my previous D810 - size/weight wise )

How is the Z8 a step backwards in terms of size/weight? The Z8 is lighter and smaller and probably 5x the camera.

May 12, 2023 at 02:14 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

I really don't understand why you'd get a Z8 for landscape and travel when the Z7 is a capable more affordable and smaller camera that works well for this purpose.

Also not sure why you'd get an RRS L-bracket (not taking their political leanings into account) when you can get a SmallRig one for around 1/3 the price.

May 12, 2023 at 02:20 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

RobCD wrote:
How is the Z8 a step backwards in terms of size/weight? The Z8 is lighter and smaller and probably 5x the camera.

No doubt Z8 is 5x times better in some regards ( but not pure image quality for stills - maybe a little bit better - lenses are much better so here we can see difference )

About a size - yes it brings me back to D810 moment

D810 size - 5.7 x 4.8 x 3.2" / 146 x 123 x 81.5 mm -------- 31.04 oz / 880 g
Z8 size - 5.7 x 4.7 x 3.3" / 144 x 118.5 x 83 mm. ------- 2.0 lb / 910 g

May 12, 2023 at 02:37 PM
Alan Olander
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

Not all l-brackets fit Z6/7 and Z6ii/7ii. RRS does, Kirk does not.

May 12, 2023 at 02:38 PM
stompyq
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

Willing to buy a 4K camera but unwilling to spend on a $200 L plate ......

May 12, 2023 at 02:43 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

pingflood wrote:
I really don't understand why you'd get a Z8 for landscape and travel when the Z7 is a capable more affordable and smaller camera that works well for this purpose.

Also not sure why you'd get an RRS L-bracket (not taking their political leanings into account) when you can get a SmallRig one for around 1/3 the price.

I said... "maybe I would buy " - I am very happy with Z7 II image quality and is not going anywhere

RRS ( well some time ago I bought Kirk plate and I could barely lock my RRS locking mehanism - I still use it, but every time I do I stress to damage locking clamp. Just because I wanted save some $$$ - I am not taking this risk again but is great we have this options there )

May 12, 2023 at 02:45 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

stompyq wrote:
Willing to buy a 4K camera but unwilling to spend on a $200 L plate ......

Yes I must be crazy ... It's great you don't set spending limits for yourself. But buying 4000 camera has nothing to do with adding extra cost which could be avoided. But I am glad you don't care

May 12, 2023 at 02:48 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

PIOK wrote:
No doubt Z8 is 5x times better in some regards ( but not pure image quality for stills - maybe a little bit better - lenses are much better so here we can see difference )

About a size - yes it brings me back to D810 moment

D810 size - 5.7 x 4.8 x 3.2" / 146 x 123 x 81.5 mm -------- 31.04 oz / 880 g
Z8 size - 5.7 x 4.7 x 3.3" / 144 x 118.5 x 83 mm. ------- 2.0 lb / 910 g

https://camerasize.com/compact/#907,557,ha,t

D810 with battery - 980g
Z8 with battery - 910g

May 12, 2023 at 02:52 PM
Fpessolano
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

I see no real reason for what you write for a z8 except want and GAS.

May 12, 2023 at 03:09 PM
Mister-Mr
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

I would suspect there are many who want to see IF the Z7 iii will be marketed and what it would bring to the table.

I wouldn't hold my breath. My thinking is like this.. The Z7 II retail USD price is $2996.. The Z8 $3995.. So I would think that the Z7 III would likely launch at a price higher than $2996.

Is there a market for the Z7 III, if the price spread is a only a few hundred dollars ? I do not know.

Pure speculation.. But it would seem the Z8 is a bargain , though I'm waiting for more thorough testing to be sure. And the Z8 is available to order right now..

PIOK wrote:
Z8 - Landscape and Travel - first let me say it is an amazing camera ( but here are mine complains )

4* How much time will Nikon take to bring Z7 III

May 12, 2023 at 03:25 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

Fpessolano wrote:
I see no real reason for what you write for a z8 except want and GAS.

I do agree with You... I will probably get 24 - 120 f4 ( to replace my 24-70 f4 which will be much better money spend )

May 12, 2023 at 03:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

pingflood wrote:

well, smallrigs had issues with consistency. they had to pull their L bracket for the Z9 early on because it was lacking to say the least.

they're simple handstrap i purchased barely has enough webbing to use on my old D7000 to back lock the end. they cut corners in finishing.

as to RRS. they are more consistent and more thoughtful in design and execution. no bodies perfect all of the time but they back their stuff up. just have proof of purchase. i have purchased stuff from them since 1991.

Edited on May 19, 2023 at 07:11 AM · View previous versions

May 12, 2023 at 06:55 PM
urbanwild
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

I think many are stuck on the landscape part, which I agree there's little benefit over the Z7......the portrait orientation screen tilt is something I'd love but that's no reason to spend so much. The Z7 size is nicer for this purpose too.

With that said, travel is a different story. If you want one camera that can do portraits, landscapes, wildlife and perhaps fast events, this seems to be the body to have.....smaller than the Z9 but just as capable with a few extra batteries on hand.

I have a D500, Z6ii and a Z7. If it weren't for kayaking with a camera (i.e. the risk of dropping a camera in the pacific ocean), I think I'd gladly sell the D500, the 200-500 and another body (likely the z6ii) for the Z8. Seems crazy to sell the three of these and still come up with another $1500ish though. So I think I'll stay put and enjoy less worries on the water.

May 12, 2023 at 07:47 PM
azenis
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

I sold my Z6II to upgrade to a Z9, and I just sold my Z9 to get the Z8.

The reason for me to upgrade to Z9 was that it's a camera with no compromise.

Between Z6II and Z7II, I had to pick between AF capability vs. MP.

Z8 for me is the perfect camera. The only complaint I had with Z9 was its size. It's just too big of a body for street photography and travel without people looking at you like they saw a ghost.

Z8 is basically Z9 in a much smaller body. The only tradeoff so far seems to be the length of 8k video that it can take before overheating in hot sunny day and battery life. But for a person who only occasionally takes video, the nearly 30min length is more than enough for me. In nearly all the videos I've made so far with the Z9 was some scenery like a waterfall or events where still picture just wouldn't capture the whole thing and the longest video is just under 5min.

TBH, if they could do a camera that's Z8 in an even smaller body but limits video to 5min, that'd be enough for me.

May 12, 2023 at 08:01 PM
swifty168
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Z8 - Landscape and Travel

I agree with urbanwild. I'm not much of a landscaper and these days only really photograph when I travel, which unfortunately has been quite lacking in the past three years.
But the thing that I miss the most since transitioning to mirrorless (due to my DSLR dying) was the instant responsiveness of it, from startup to the always there finder etc. particularly useful in street photography where it's often about fleeting moments.
So the biggest gain I can see from my perspective is the Z9 EVF and responsiveness in a smaller body. Still to be verified after I test it of course but it looks good so far. Perhaps too good and an overkill for me actually but those are the things I look forward to the most.
I think it largely comes down to how you shoot. Travel photography encompasses a lot of genres.

As for landscape photography, it also seems people are defining it down to just the tripod mounted, base ISO, max scene DR type of landscapes. Whilst that genre is certainly popular, I think once you move away from that ideal scenario then there are advantages to the very fast frame rates enabled by the stacked sensor. You might need more work in post though.

May 12, 2023 at 08:19 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.