New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Ultrawide Z

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ultrawide Z

When will there be a lens wider than 14mm in Z mount?
The Nikkor Z roadmaps I've viewed are pretty sparse on lenses compared to what they had in the old days for F mount. Are they only filling in those missing lenses and no ultrawide for Z FX?

EBH

May 11, 2023 at 06:12 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ultrawide Z

EB-1 wrote:
When will there be a lens wider than 14mm in Z mount?
The Nikkor Z roadmaps I've viewed are pretty sparse on lenses compared to what they had in the old days for F mount. Are they only filling in those missing lenses and no ultrawide for Z FX?

EBH

If you can live with electronic contacts Laowa makes a number of ultrawides for Z mount:

https://www.venuslens.net

In particular they have 9mm f/5.6 and 11mm f/4.5 rectilinear lenses in Z mount that cover a FF sensor. They seem to be not too bad performers too.

May 11, 2023 at 06:55 PM
ahinesdesign
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ultrawide Z

If you are ok with using an adapter, there are <14mm wide options beyond Laowa and a few other manual focus Z mount options.

Nikon's own 8-15mm is a great fisheye zoom with AF. Sigma's 12-24mm Art is stellar.

In E mount, you have Sony's 12-24mm lenses, along with Voigtlander 10mm (MF).

May 11, 2023 at 07:59 PM
groob
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ultrawide Z

Iím curious what youíre shooting that is wider than 14mm?

May 11, 2023 at 08:13 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ultrawide Z

groob wrote:
Iím curious what youíre shooting that is wider than 14mm?

Whatever I could. Since the MILS register distances are so much shorter than SLR register distances it should be easier to design and manufacture wider lenses like 12-24 or even 11-24. It wasn't all that long ago that Nikon was impressing us with the 14-24 that was ahead of its time.

EBH

May 11, 2023 at 09:36 PM
groob
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ultrawide Z

EB-1 wrote:
Whatever I could. Since the MILS register distances are so much shorter than SLR register distances it should be easier to design and manufacture wider lenses like 12-24 or even 11-24. It wasn't all that long ago that Nikon was impressing us with the 14-24 that was ahead of its time.

EBH

Sure, I was just curious what, specifically, you were shooting. I think the only thing Iíve ever shot that required a wider focal length than 14mm was the Canadian Rockies.

May 11, 2023 at 09:53 PM
Fpessolano
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ultrawide Z

For anything wider you should look at Laowa. I use the 10-18, corners are not great but for my intended use (where corners are always unused) is ok. Namely their 9,11 and 12 are probably better.

May 12, 2023 at 12:50 AM
Ekh2112
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ultrawide Z

Itís interesting to note that the Z lens roadmap begins at 12mm. Could be a while before we see anything thereÖ.

May 17, 2023 at 10:55 AM
Max Power
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ultrawide Z

I would just be happy if the 14-30 f4 was priced like the 24-70 f4.

May 17, 2023 at 12:25 PM
pkmx

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ultrawide Z

Ekh2112 wrote:
Itís interesting to note that the Z lens roadmap begins at 12mm. Could be a while before we see anything thereÖ.

I think that's for the DX 12-28.

May 17, 2023 at 06:34 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.