Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              36      
       38              68       69       end

Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

ACEG
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #1 · p.37 #1 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

I didn’t like the loud «noise» from the Z9 either.

Though, it’s nothing compared to the noise Z8 gives in this regard. NOT impressed; gave me this «cheap» feeling (again; compared to D(x) / Z (x) standard).

arbitrage wrote:
Just one of my many minor annoyances with the Z9. Sad to hear it is even louder on the Z8.

Edited on Jun 01, 2023 at 02:06 PM · View previous versions

Jun 01, 2023 at 11:50 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.37 #2 · p.37 #2 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

yep noise

Jun 01, 2023 at 12:05 PM
dasams
• • •
p.37 #3 · p.37 #3 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:
Interestingly, the 100-400 has no "play" on the Z8 mount, where it had play from day one on the Z7ii and Z9. Probably just variability unit to unit.

Same here. There's also no play with my TC 1.4 in the Z8. However, there is play when the 100-400 is attached to the TC 1.4.

Jun 01, 2023 at 12:27 PM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.37 #4 · p.37 #4 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

I had "lots of play" with 400f4.5 and Z7II, even axialy on right side. Some probably read my comments back in the fall time.

The lens even went to Nikon to be checked, Nikon found it to be normal.

What I did, I just put a tiny piece of masking tape on right side of camera mount, that made it as tight as rock.

I found much less play on Z8, but I will still do the same thing, I like it to be tight, I don't like clunkiness.

Jun 01, 2023 at 12:34 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.37 #5 · p.37 #5 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Z8 is way more camera than what i need or will be able to use. I haven’t bought any gear for quite some time now, and i wonder if i will ‘actually’ ever need a more capable body, for my usage of course.

Edited on Jun 20, 2023 at 10:39 AM · View previous versions

Jun 01, 2023 at 01:49 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.37 #6 · p.37 #6 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

nandadevieast wrote:
Camera is smaller than the impression you get from internet. D850 is bulkier. I think its smaller than D780 series bodies also, or maybe similar. (I have a D850 on me but not a D780).

I kept my D850 because i own 500/300 PF’s and for the joy of owning last Nikon DSLR in this series. I love that body anyway and intend to use it in the future.

For now i wish there is no issue with these…like how Z9 locked on some people.

Z8 is fantastic, way more camera than what i need or will be able to
...Show more

Your situation sounds like mine too.

Keeping my trusty old D850 and 500PF and maybe the D500 too.

Jun 01, 2023 at 02:02 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.37 #7 · p.37 #7 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

A short 4k/120 10bit sample slowed down 4x, handholding video is much easier

https://youtu.be/vSl4HixtPfk

Jun 01, 2023 at 02:33 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.37 #8 · p.37 #8 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:
A short 4k/120 10bit sample slowed down 4x, handholding video is much easier

https://youtu.be/vSl4HixtPfk

It's a start! Pretty good. Subscribed !

Jun 01, 2023 at 05:00 PM
Spectro
• • •
p.37 #9 · p.37 #9 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:
I would have been better off never having used a Z9 for an extended period of time The Z8 is markedly nicer than the Z7ii and would have felt like a huge upgrade in contrast.

Since I'm fully aware of what the Z8 can do in terms of performance, it's all about how it feels and balances with my lenses.

My theory is that many people would not have purchased a Z9 if there was a smaller option with similar specs for AF that was available at the same time.
Because the Z9 was the only game in town with the performance it delivered, many people purchased it and found the size to be an issue whereas those that were used to the larger single digit DSLR bodies found it very comfortable to work with.
Then comes along the Z8 with a different feel and the build quality questions begin. I think this will quickly pass.
My opinion only.

Jun 01, 2023 at 08:26 PM
JustShootMe
• • •
p.37 #10 · p.37 #10 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

So many recent Z9 sales on the board , did the same thing happen when the D700 entered the picture ?

Jun 01, 2023 at 09:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.37 #11 · p.37 #11 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

I’m one of those!

Spectro wrote:
My theory is that many people would not have purchased a Z9 if there was a smaller option with similar specs for AF that was available at the same time.
Because the Z9 was the only game in town with the performance it delivered, many people purchased it and found the size to be an issue whereas those that were used to the larger single digit DSLR bodies found it very comfortable to work with.
Then comes along the Z8 with a different feel and the build quality questions begin. I think this will quickly pass.
My opinion only.

Jun 01, 2023 at 09:29 PM
Ai_Print
• • •
p.37 #12 · p.37 #12 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Finally got to use the Z8 on a job today, left the Z9 and Z7II in the trunk. I used the 24-70 2.8 and 50mm 1.2 which balanced much better on the 8 than on the 7. Overall it did great, pretty much as the Z9 would have but in a smaller size.

Speaking of build, I’m not sure what everyone is going on about here regarding the build quality of this thing, it’s fine. I have been using Nikon cameras for work since the F3 days and have never been disappointed by build quality, ever. I am not brutal on my cameras but they do work hard, out in the elements, occasionally get bumped or fall.

I find how amateurs talk so critically about build quality so much to be quite comical really.

Jun 01, 2023 at 11:59 PM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.37 #13 · p.37 #13 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Ai_Print wrote:
I find how amateurs talk so critically about build quality so much to be quite comical really.

Many amateurs not only spend more money on camera gear but also get to shoot a lot more than typical professional photographers (who also have to market the work, sell it, work with customers etc.).

Even if you never had equipment malfunction with Nikon gear, some of us have had it happen to us, and in my opinion, an important quality metric is the worst sample that gets to customer hands. And people have the right to voice their experiences, good and bad. Otherwise manufacturers get very arrogant and stop caring about the customers.

Jun 02, 2023 at 02:48 AM
Jesse Evans
• • • •
p.37 #14 · p.37 #14 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

ilkka_nissila wrote:
…in my opinion, an important quality metric is the worst sample that gets to customer hands.

The worst sample that gets to customer hands is a bad metric. In a world where hundreds of thousands to millions of each camera are manufactured, there will always be one that is prone to failure due to myriad issues.

Imagine if people went online and they said: my Toyota Corolla died after just 2 years! Toyota Corollas are NOT reliable compared to the Chrysler 300 that I bought in 2007 which lasted 10 years!

Yet we would all understand that the much more important metric in vehicle reliability is what one could expect if they themselves were to buy one. To understand what you personally can expect, you need to look at the fleet and see if there is a statistical reliability issue, if people are broadly complaining about reliability, or if it has a generally good reputation.

A single bum unit just isn’t a factor unless a bunch of others also join in to complain that they too experienced the issues you did.

Jun 02, 2023 at 06:23 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.37 #15 · p.37 #15 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

ilkka_nissila wrote:
Many amateurs not only spend more money on camera gear but also get to shoot a lot more than typical professional photographers (who also have to market the work, sell it, work with customers etc.).

Even if you never had equipment malfunction with Nikon gear, some of us have had it happen to us, and in my opinion, an important quality metric is the worst sample that gets to customer hands. And people have the right to voice their experiences, good and bad. Otherwise manufacturers get very arrogant and stop caring about the customers.

If the worst sample to get to customers was an important metric, it would drive up prices substantially. Every camera would need to be tested thoroughly to make sure no bad cameras slipped through. I prefer the current system in which cameras are offered at a substantially lower price, a few bad cameras make it to market, and companies replace those bad cameras under warranty. No system is perfect, but under the current system prices are lower and the devil is in the details about how common bad cameras are and how well camera makers respond to warranty. claims. As long as bad cameras are pretty rare (and the company still has a financial incentive to make such bad camera rare--camera replaced under warranty have to be an added expense), and warranty service is good, I am good with the current system. I don't want zero chance of a bad camera at a much higher price. I want a lower price with a very low chance of a bad camera and if I get unlucky I want the company to replace/repair the camera quickly without much hassle.

Jun 02, 2023 at 07:06 AM
Max Power
• • •
p.37 #16 · p.37 #16 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Ai_Print wrote:
Finally got to use the Z8 on a job today, left the Z9 and Z7II in the trunk. I used the 24-70 2.8 and 50mm 1.2 which balanced much better on the 8 than on the 7. Overall it did great, pretty much as the Z9 would have but in a smaller size.

Speaking of build, I’m not sure what everyone is going on about here regarding the build quality of this thing, it’s fine. I have been using Nikon cameras for work since the F3 days and have never been disappointed by build quality, ever. I am not brutal
...Show more

Have you ever owned a D600? Or an early D800?

Build quality is a thing. Don't get arrogant about it.

Jun 02, 2023 at 08:41 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.37 #17 · p.37 #17 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Commenting on things like in-hand feel, materials, textures etc isn't complaining, it's simply noticing and commenting. I'm sure the Z8 will hold up well. In no world does it feel as solid or robust as the Z9.

Jun 02, 2023 at 08:51 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.37 #18 · p.37 #18 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

The one area I'm testing more than others is low angle photos where I hold the body with a single hand in portrait orientation...this was a somewhat hard thing to do with the Z9 simply because of the weight, while the Z8 allows for slower shutter speeds (for me) than the Z9 did. I wouldn't have been able to get a picture this sharp with the Z9 one handed. Pretty big win.

Jun 02, 2023 at 09:03 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.37 #19 · p.37 #19 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

RoamingScott wrote:
The one area I'm testing more than others is low angle photos where I hold the body with a single hand in portrait orientation...this was a somewhat hard thing to do with the Z9 simply because of the weight, while the Z8 allows for slower shutter speeds (for me) than the Z9 did. I wouldn't have been able to get a picture this sharp with the Z9 one handed. Pretty big win.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52945604053_ba99c3ec3d_o.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52945528040_032847f45b_o.jpg

You just hit on a feature that I have been wondering about.

I thought the Z8 might be a challenge to work with in this portrait position because my right hand might be blocking my view of the vertical LCD. Whereas the Z9 has a release button and AF-ON button for vertical shooting.

So, why does your thumb not hinder your viewing of the vert viewfinder? Is it because the finder can be pulled out a long ways.?

Jun 02, 2023 at 09:14 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.37 #20 · p.37 #20 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Both these are gorgeous images. I need this camera to work very well with wildflowers

Jun 02, 2023 at 09:17 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.