Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5              68       69       end

Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

ilkka_nissila
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

ArizonaImage wrote:
Nice.. but not the camera most Nikon users were waiting for. They release a mini Z9 that few wanted, while most were waiting for a Z6 III. The Z8 has the same hand me down monitor and EVF. Not sure why Nikon put so much into this camera when the market for it is far smaller than the Z6, R6, A7IV market which is majority of Nikons sales.

I also don't have any statistics about what the customers want, but I do know that a bunch of people have been complaining about the Z9's weight and seemed to want the same thing in a smaller package, which the Z8 delivers.

As for a Z6 III, there is the question of whether it makes sense for Nikon to spend the money for the costly development of another stacked sensor to differentiate it from the Z8. And if they were to do it, would it be any cheaper? Likely there would be very little difference in price.

Without stacked sensor, how much can the Z6 series AF improve, only by replacing the dual Expeed 6's with one Expeed 7, and would this satisfy users?

Although the Z8's nominal battery rating seems low, practical experience with other Z cameras suggests that the real-world number of shots will be much higher (say 1500 seems realistic) so for most people this is likely to be sufficient, but for long video takes or all-day photography, one would need several batteries. In this case the Z9 may be more appropriate.

In Europe the XQD and CFexpress cards are very expensive compared to United States, so having SD card option can be a big deal for some. Also some customers can require delivery of images on card while the event is still going on, so SD again works for those rather than giving and not necessarily getting back expensive CFexpress / XQD cards.

May 11, 2023 at 02:13 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Z8 battery should be alright for photography. I could see myself needing at least 2 batteries for a full day shooting.
When I can, Z9 will still be the main camera and Z8 as a back up. For Africa trip, Z7 ii was ok as a back up camera with 100-400 in addition to Z9 with supertele but Z8 would be even better wit 100-400. I don't want to carry 2 Z9 with me. I am indifferent regarding SD card as 2nd slot is for overflow and video most of the time. No idea though if UHS-2 card is fast enough for 8K video or 4K120p. I assume it should be at least for 4K120P. Not planning on using raw video file much. Since I already invested in quite a bit for CFE cards and XQD cards, I certainly could use left over XQD cards in the 2nd slots and I would prefer that over SD card personally but not a big deal since I still have SD cards that I use with GFX system anyhow. Also 8K video will drain battery quite quickly. On Z9, I was already surprise at how quickly battery goes down with 8K recording, Z8 will be even worse.

May 11, 2023 at 03:45 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Looks like an awesome spec camera.
It's been mentioned that it's a similar size to a D750. Having recently sold my D750, I have become very used to the size of the Z6/Z7, and now prefer that size camera. And they fit snugly in my Billingham camera bag. So I'm thinking that I will stick to the smaller bodies, rather than investing in Z8's. I'll look at Z6iii/Z7iii when they come out.

May 11, 2023 at 04:38 AM
ilkka_nissila
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

suteetat wrote:
Z8 battery should be alright for photography. I could see myself needing at least 2 batteries for a full day shooting.
When I can, Z9 will still be the main camera and Z8 as a back up. For Africa trip, Z7 ii was ok as a back up camera with 100-400 in addition to Z9 with supertele but Z8 would be even better wit 100-400. I don't want to carry 2 Z9 with me. I am indifferent regarding SD card as 2nd slot is for overflow and video most of the time. No idea though if UHS-2 card is fast enough
...Show more

Theoretically 4K 120 can be more demanding on battery than 8K, as the former requires downsampling and if there is to be no line skipping, this is likely to take up more processing than 8K. Also 4K120 can result in more heat production for the same reason. However, since it's used mainly for slow motion video, it may be used for occasional clips rather than long takes.

May 11, 2023 at 05:08 AM
agrumpyoldsod
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

IlyaSnopchenko wrote:
Would've been nice if Z9 had one CFE slot and one SD like this one. It would've saved me a lot of irritation (and expense...)

NO WAY !!!!

Slot 1 Delkin Black 650GB for stills
Slot 2 Sabrent CF-XXIT-2TB for those 80 minute 8.3K 60p HQ N-RAW and as overflow should I EVER fill a 650GB card. Many working pros write to slot 1 and immediately back up to Slot 2 -- this needs a 100% compatible card. SD simply does not do the job - not in Lossless RAW at 20fps or any of the higher data video formats.

May 11, 2023 at 06:20 AM
agrumpyoldsod
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

suteetat wrote:
When I can, Z9 will still be the main camera and Z8 as a back up. For Africa trip, Z7 ii was ok as a back up camera with 100-400 in addition to Z9 with supertele but Z8 would be even better wit 100-400. I don't want to carry 2 Z9 with me. I am indifferent regarding SD card as 2nd slot is for overflow and video most of the time. No idea though if UHS-2 card is fast enough
...Show more

If you have been living in the Nikon eco system for a while then you will have a bunch of EN-EL15 (a/b/c) -- I certainly do. BUT here is the trick just plug a cable into the camera's new power delivery port and into a power bank or d-tap from a V-battery and it will last and last and last. Lots of folk make power bank caddies that bolt onto a cage or l-plate.

May 11, 2023 at 06:23 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

agrumpyoldsod wrote:
If you have been living in the Nikon eco system for a while then you will have a bunch of EN-EL15 (a/b/c) -- I certainly do. BUT here is the trick just plug a cable into the camera's new power delivery port and into a power bank or d-tap from a V-battery and it will last and last and last. Lots of folk make power bank caddies that bolt onto a cage or l-plate.

Yes, I have 5-6 EN-EL15x floating around so I am not worry about battery power very much, at least for photography anyhow. The two USB-C ports certainly open up a lot of possibility that is not even available on Z9.

May 11, 2023 at 06:33 AM
agrumpyoldsod
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Alistair1 wrote:
Base ISO now 200 for NRAW? I hope the Z9 gets that pronto.

The spec says -- ISO sensitivity (Recommended Exposure Index):
M mode: Manual selection (ISO 64 to 25600 in steps of 1/6, 1/3 or 1 EV); with additional options available equivalent to approx. 0.3, 0.7, 1 or 2 EV (ISO 102400 equivalent) above ISO 25600; auto ISO sensitivity control (ISO 64 to Hi 2.0) available with selectable upper limit
P, S or A mode: Auto ISO sensitivity control (ISO 64 to Hi 2.0) with selectable upper limit
Note: ISO sensitivity is limited to 400-25600 when HLG is selected for tone mode

MY Z9 will only allow me to reduce the ISO below 800 when I shoot lower quality options - like 10-bit H265.

Where did your ISO 200 for NRAW come from?

May 11, 2023 at 06:35 AM
agrumpyoldsod
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

ilkka_nissila wrote:
I also don't have any statistics about what the customers want, but I do know that a bunch of people have been complaining about the Z9's weight and seemed to want the same thing in a smaller package, which the Z8 delivers.

As for a Z6 III, there is the question of whether it makes sense for Nikon to spend the money for the costly development of another stacked sensor to differentiate it from the Z8. And if they were to do it, would it be any cheaper? Likely there would be very little difference in price.

Without stacked sensor, how
...Show more

@ArizonaImage "Nice.. but not the camera most Nikon users were waiting for" -- you and I speak to very different people -- I suspect by most people you me you......

@ilkka_nissila -- Nice post -- but the real question for the Z6/Z7 family models is the price point of the target market and what technology this buys.

It is entirely likely that a Stacked BSI CMOS sensor and all the tech required to make it work without a shutter costs so much that $3,999 plus tax is a fair.

There is no evidence that simply reducing the sensor size to DX (for those of you who want a D500 replacement that works like a Z8/Z9) will significantly reduce the price -- I could make the case that since those few shooters who seem to want this body REALLY want a 30+MP sensor (the DX crop on the Z8/Z9 is 19.5MP) so there would need to be a new version of this sensor with at least 160% pixel density of the current sensor -- 72.4mp effective in Full Frame AND this simply does not exist to day. So when ever such emerges then the price will most likely be higher than the Z8.

Now if one accepts that the Z6 and Z7 family will always have a shutter then cheaper sensors could be used. BUT will they deliver the performance or by how much would the performance degrade by the vuse of a slower sensor -- with AF readings ever 1/120th of a second be possible even if an Expeed 7 and other pipes from a Z9/Z8 are used.

Sure there is no technical reason why a 61mp Z7iii with shutter could not be delivered -- why one would want one is not really relevant - but assuming one does then OK -- another direct competitor for the A7RV emerges. We know this sensor gets hot. AND would it have to be for sale at less than $3,000 body only?

Then in the Z6iii space -- some folk are quoting "Nikon will not produce another 24mp sensor" -- really -- why? Well is this because they want to offer 6k video -- would the price need to be below $2,000 - how much more will folk pay for 31mp and 6k 10-bit. A Z5ii will come at some point with 24mp presumably - how does Nikon differentiate between these low capable bodies.

The questions for the Z6iii, Z7iii and Z5ii are about the direction of travel for lower priced and less capable bodies - what can be done for the money and what is the market.

I would hope that folk can work out that they simply cannot expect to get more from Nikon for the bodies you own free -- yes that is you Z6ii/Z7ii owners who desperately want firmware more updates that will give you Z9 levels of AF -- BTW I own both -- It is just not going to happen.

The Z6/Z7 sensors and Expeed 6 chips (even 2 of them) are just way way to slow and underpowered. It is time to go and shoot and then decide when successor bodies come out -- or move on... just please stop whining.

I find that the Z7 and Z6ii work great -- provided that you understand their limitations and how to use them.

May 11, 2023 at 07:08 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

agrumpyoldsod wrote:
The spec says -- ISO sensitivity (Recommended Exposure Index):
M mode: Manual selection (ISO 64 to 25600 in steps of 1/6, 1/3 or 1 EV); with additional options available equivalent to approx. 0.3, 0.7, 1 or 2 EV (ISO 102400 equivalent) above ISO 25600; auto ISO sensitivity control (ISO 64 to Hi 2.0) available with selectable upper limit
P, S or A mode: Auto ISO sensitivity control (ISO 64 to Hi 2.0) with selectable upper limit
Note: ISO sensitivity is limited to 400-25600 when HLG is selected for tone mode

MY Z9 will only allow me to reduce the ISO below 800 when I
...Show more

Nikon mentioned it in their Z8 press release:

"Upcoming features will be added in planned firmware updates, including an Auto Capture function, which will allow a photographer to automatically trigger a remote camera on user-set parameters. An update will also allow for the base ISO to be extended down to 200 when shooting video footage with N-Log enabled."

Source: https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z8-initial-review/3

May 11, 2023 at 07:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

agrumpyoldsod
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

snapsy wrote:
Nikon mentioned it in their Z8 press release:

"Upcoming features will be added in planned firmware updates, including an Auto Capture function, which will allow a photographer to automatically trigger a remote camera on user-set parameters. An update will also allow for the base ISO to be extended down to 200 when shooting video footage with N-Log enabled."

Source: https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z8-initial-review/3

Yes this was in the DPR review and NOT the press release from Nikon -- I am in the wait or see camp for this one. AND yes it will be welcome for both the Z8 and Z9

May 11, 2023 at 07:33 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

agrumpyoldsod wrote:
Yes this was in the DPR review and NOT the press release from Nikon -- I am in the wait or see camp for this one. AND yes it will be welcome for both the Z8 and Z9

The link I provided was Nikon USA's Z8 press release. It's just embedded on one of the pages of Dpreview's coverage.

May 11, 2023 at 07:40 AM
RickPJ
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

FWIW. I get far better than predicted battery life from my Z6II. Of course I rarely shoot video but I got over 1200 shots at a rodeo with this camera and two batteries in the grip.

May 11, 2023 at 09:05 AM
Everythingis1
• •
[X]
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Am I the only one that thinks the vast majority of this tech is wasted if it can't auto-focus as well as the 6 year old A7R III?

May 11, 2023 at 09:08 AM
gannis
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Ya guess you are the only one.

Everythingis1 wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks the vast majority of this tech is wasted if it can't auto-focus as well as the 6 year old A7R III?

May 11, 2023 at 09:27 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

ilkka_nissila wrote:
Without stacked sensor, how much can the Z6 series AF improve, only by replacing the dual Expeed 6's with one Expeed 7, and would this satisfy users?

There is also the rolling shutter issue.

ilkka_nissila wrote:
Although the Z8's nominal battery rating seems low, practical experience with other Z cameras suggests that the real-world number of shots will be much higher (say 1500 seems realistic).

My Z6 has never taken more than 2-300 pictures per battery charge (around 200 with EN-EL 15 and about 300 with EN-EL 15c).

May 11, 2023 at 09:31 AM
PIOK
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

May 11, 2023 at 09:52 AM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Granger has always given me major creep vibes, and when he pulled out his bondage ropes in his Z8 photoshoot, I cringed so hard.

May 11, 2023 at 10:02 AM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

ilkka_nissila wrote:

Without stacked sensor, how
...Show more

The thing is, the Z6 did great at what it was intended to do. Be a low light champion which it is. I donít need Z9 AF in the Z6 III, because thatís not what that body is intended to be. It does great as is, especially in video focus. What I want is that Expeed7 so I can get better video features. I still want that 24.5mp BSI in there with Expeed7 so I can shoot at least 10-bit internal 4:2:2 rather than 8-bit 4:2:0 thatís the weakness of the Z6 II. They will improve AF as well. Neither the A7IV or R6 have a stacked sensor and the AF is great. I hope Nikon keeps the Z6 low resolution rather than jumping to the A7IV sensor. I had that camera and I didnít like what was coming out of it in terms of low light in both video and stills. Keep it 24mp, give me some Z9 video features like ProRES or NRAW internally with overall improvements and Iím happy.

May 11, 2023 at 10:10 AM
karkawry

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Nikon unveils the highly anticipated Z8 camera!

Everythingis1 wrote:

No, I don't think you are...

May 11, 2023 at 10:16 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.