New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Q2 low light

newyork
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Q2 low light

I know the monochrome version is excellent in low light but Iím curious how the regular color version is. I use a Fuji and Iím curious how itíd perform in low light versus an x-s10.

If a small improvement then meh. If itís much better then Iím interested.

May 07, 2023 at 11:17 AM
theHUN
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Q2 low light

The Q2 has the same sensor as the SL2, so comparisons between the SL2 and SL2-S (very good high ISO performance) will give you an idea.

Here is one such comparison: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/316039-sl2-s-vs-sl2-iso-comparison-with-sl2-downsized-to-sl2-s/

Edit: The DPR studio scene has both cameras. https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight

A word of caution though, they do not always use the same exposure time and so noise comparisons are not entirely fair.

May 07, 2023 at 02:54 PM
newyork
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Q2 low light

Had a fear the noise might be an issue. Iím sure no one in the Leica section has a Fuji x-s10 AND Q2 haha.

May 07, 2023 at 03:14 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Q2 low light

Q2 in low light is acceptable to me up to ISO 3200 in color or 6400 for b&w conversions. Definitely donít get the Q2 right now since the Q3 will be announced any day now, and Q2 prices will drop.

May 07, 2023 at 03:18 PM
newyork
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Q2 low light

Great point. Iím still tossing back and forth m series and Q. Seems the M does better and the mono chromatic for both.

highdesertmesa wrote:
Q2 in low light is acceptable to me up to ISO 3200 in color or 6400 for b&w conversions. Definitely donít get the Q2 right now since the Q3 will be announced any day now, and Q2 prices will drop.

May 07, 2023 at 03:26 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Q2 low light

My advice is get the M 10.

May 07, 2023 at 03:28 PM
RustyRus
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Q2 low light

I have seen a ton of posts from you about buying Leica stuff, or buying this lens or that.

Maybe its time to sell your Fuji stuff off and make the jump to a full frame system. Its clear you won't ever be satisfied with a APS-c sensor. Thats my guess anyway.

May 07, 2023 at 04:12 PM
newyork
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Q2 low light

Agreed. For sure. Not going to get much for the Fuji but the Leica will happen.

May 07, 2023 at 04:56 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Q2 low light

I've had a Q (and Q-P), and Q2 (and will be buying the Q3 immediately upon release!) , as well as the SL2 and SL2-S as mentioned above. I currently shoot all Fuji (X-E4/X-T3/XH2S and GFX 50S/50R).

The SL2S is amazing in low light. No other camera I've listed is really stellar in low light, including the Q's.

The Q2 is mediocre at ISO 6400, and I wouldn't use it beyond that. Compared to the X-E4 (same sensor as X-S10 I believe), I'd say they're roughly the same at ISO 3200 and up. Low light performance isn't really a differentiator between the Q2 sensor the X-trans IV sensor.

That being said, I do find the noise on the X series cameras much less distracting and "blocky" than the Q2.

If you're really interested in the difference at 6400 let me know, I can share some raw files and you can look for yourself. Neither is great, but if I knew I was going into a low light situation, I'd actually take the a Fuji X camera over the Q2.. If it was a nice sunny day, I'd take the Q2 unless I needed to change lenses..

May 08, 2023 at 08:44 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Q2 low light

I think a Q is a much more gentle introduction to the Leica world. The upcoming Q3 should be a pretty solid camera, assuming it does use the M11 sensor it will be a pretty effective tool for general photography. I shoot Fuji as well as Leica and they both have their place Ė the Fuji cameras are also pleasant to use, the lenses (primes in particular) are great, and the images are lovely.

May 08, 2023 at 09:10 PM
theHUN
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Q2 low light

I still think the Q2 is a rather basic camera that is way overpriced for what it delivers. No way I would pick a Q2 for color work when I have my A7R3 with an equally killer 28 mm lens. No way I would use a Q2 in crop mode when I have an A7R3 with killer longer lenses. No way I would use a Q2 in macro when I have the A7R3 with a 180 mm 1x macro with plenty of working distance (to not scare away critters) and a Laowa macro for when I want to go up to 5x.

My choice would be a Q2M (if 28 mm mono is preferable), a Leica M (if you want a choice in focal length or RF focusing is preferable), or a Nikon/Sony (if AF is preferable).

May 08, 2023 at 09:23 PM
widi5006

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Q2 low light

theHUN wrote:
I still think the Q2 is a rather basic camera that is way overpriced for what it delivers. No way I would pick a Q2 for color work when I have my A7R3 with an equally killer 28 mm lens. No way I would use a Q2 in crop mode when I have an A7R3 with killer longer lenses. No way I would use a Q2 in macro when I have the A7R3 with a 180 mm 1x macro with plenty of working distance (to not scare away critters) and a Laowa macro for when I want to go up
...Show more

My thoughts exactly !...Thats why I have a Leica Q2M and Sony A7Rv combo....best of both worlds.

May 08, 2023 at 10:51 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Q2 low light

I think this RedDot article does a good job of comparing ISO performance. It is specifically to compare BW performance of native vs converted but you can easily see the differences.

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2021/02/bw-iso-showdown-2021-leica-q2-monochrom-vs-m10-monochrom-vs-q2-vs-m10-r/?fbclid=IwAR003lDxVUcCEfjBgna2CpK_O-YZkCACjXcrl0cnKbMOhnzlwttYAbAZxU0

May 09, 2023 at 10:30 AM
newyork
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Q2 low light

Man those Monos are impressive. Canít be beat for low light. The 10R did really well and surprised me. They made a comment about the 10P that seemed positive towards the end.
Sl2-s seems to be great as well.

Michael H wrote:
I think this RedDot article does a good job of comparing ISO performance. It is specifically to compare BW performance of native vs converted but you can easily see the differences.

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2021/02/bw-iso-showdown-2021-leica-q2-monochrom-vs-m10-monochrom-vs-q2-vs-m10-r/?fbclid=IwAR003lDxVUcCEfjBgna2CpK_O-YZkCACjXcrl0cnKbMOhnzlwttYAbAZxU0

May 09, 2023 at 11:27 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.