Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Wisdom on regular or SE edition of Nokton 40/50 1.2 lenses for Sony?

chiron
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wisdom on regular or SE edition of Nokton 40/50 1.2 lenses for Sony?

Any wisdom, experiences, or advice on choosing either the regular or the SE version of the Voigtlander Nokton 50mm/1.2 or 40mm/1.2 lenses for Sony camera bodies? I tend to like smaller lenses and bodies, but I seem to recall someone saying the SE versions were harder to focus because of the smaller focus ring.

Any advice based on experience with the lenses on any camera body would be welcome!

View previous versions

May 03, 2023 at 09:17 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wisdom on regular or SE edition of Nokton 40/50 1.2 lenses for Sony?

I had the original E-mount versions of both 40/1.2 and 50/1.2 first but after the SE versions came out I bought them and traded away the original ones. I don't see any difference in one or the other version being easier to focus but I appreciate the lighter and smaller bodies of the SE versions especially on my Sony A7C. The difference in weight is especially nice with the 40/1.2 SE since it lost 80g of weight and the SE version is pretty comfortable paired with an A7C.

Now that the SE versions have been discontinued it might be getting harder to find them as new.

May 03, 2023 at 10:06 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wisdom on regular or SE edition of Nokton 40/50 1.2 lenses for Sony?

In case you're looking for a smaller lens, you should consider the SE edition, although it lacks the 'de-clicking' feature. The 40/1.2 SE version is especially more compact than the classic one, yet shares the same optical design in a smaller lens barrel.

May 03, 2023 at 11:01 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wisdom on regular or SE edition of Nokton 40/50 1.2 lenses for Sony?

Juha Kannisto wrote:
I had the original E-mount versions of both 40/1.2 and 50/1.2 first but after the SE versions came out I bought them and traded away the original ones. I don't see any difference in one or the other version being easier to focus but I appreciate the lighter and smaller bodies of the SE versions especially on my Sony A7C. The difference in weight is especially nice with the 40/1.2 SE since it lost 80g of weight and the SE version is pretty comfortable paired with an A7C.

Now that the SE versions have been discontinued it might be getting
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

Fred Miranda wrote:
In case you're looking for a smaller lens, you should consider the SE edition, although it lacks the 'de-clicking' feature. The 40/1.2 SE version is especially more compact than the classic one, yet shares the same optical design in a smaller lens barrel.

Thank you both. I am indeed looking for a smaller version of these lenses to use on the smaller Sony bodies. I was thinking of both the 35/1.2 and the 50/1.2. Alternatively, I could just go with the 40/1.2. But I do hear very good things about the 50/1.2 especially.

May 03, 2023 at 12:14 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wisdom on regular or SE edition of Nokton 40/50 1.2 lenses for Sony?

chiron wrote:
---------------------------------------------

Thank you both. I am indeed looking for a smaller version of these lenses to use on the smaller Sony bodies. I was thinking of both the 35/1.2 and the 50/1.2. Alternatively, I could just go with the 40/1.2. But I do hear very good things about the 50/1.2 especially.

Undoubtedly, the Voigtlander 50/1.2 is one of the Cosina line-up's finest lenses. While it may not perform as well as the Leica 50/1.4 Summilux Asph in close range since it lacks FLE, it is quite comparable at mid and long distances. Additionally, their rendering is quite alike, with a modern, smooth draw.
On the other hand, the CV 40/1.2 Nokton provides more character in the rendering, and it is adored by many photographers. The SE edition is without a doubt, the smallest of the group, even when compared to the CV 35/1.2 Nokton (v3). Ultimately, it comes down to your preferred focal length.

May 03, 2023 at 03:24 PM
lensfan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wisdom on regular or SE edition of Nokton 40/50 1.2 lenses for Sony?

chiron wrote:
Any wisdom, experiences, or advice on choosing either the regular or the SE version of the Voigtlander Nokton 50mm/1.2 or 40mm/1.2 lenses for Sony camera bodies? I tend to like smaller lenses and bodies, but I seem to recall someone saying the SE versions were harder to focus because of the smaller focus ring.

Any advice based on experience with the lenses on any camera body would be welcome!

If I was to do it again, I'd pick 1.2/40 SE over the original. I got original version for the sake of de-click which I absolutely don't care. But I would appreciate to have a more narrow lens every day.

May 03, 2023 at 06:39 PM
nbar

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wisdom on regular or SE edition of Nokton 40/50 1.2 lenses for Sony?

I've had both versions of the 40 and 50. I pretty decisively prefer the original 40. For one, the front element is scalloped--I have no reservations leaving its hood in the box. Two, it feels nicer to manipulate; I don't care for the ridges on the focusing ring of the SE. Three, I find it more aesthetically pleasing than the SE; I find it sleek and gorgeous, and when I look at it, it makes me want to go and take pictures with it. Finally, being the lens I have on my body 90% of the time, should I feel the desire to capture video (even as a mostly stills guy), I have access to a clickless aperture.

I've personally never suffered the con of its 80g heavier weight. It isn't at all heavy to me, being more than another 80g lighter (and much smaller) than the 35GM I used before it. It's hardly longer than the SE, and of course much shorter without the hood. I find it balances nicely on the body, and has just enough weight to feel steady in my hands.

All that being said, I might actually prefer the SE when it comes to the 50mm. The original 50 isn't scalloped, it's bigger and heavier, and I'm less likely to find the focal length useful for general purpose video.

I don't have either 50mm anymore, but the Nokton 40mm f/1.2 remains my favorite lens. My copy of the new Ultron 75mm f/1.9 comes tomorrow. We'll see if it holds up

May 03, 2023 at 07:51 PM
lensfan
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wisdom on regular or SE edition of Nokton 40/50 1.2 lenses for Sony?

nbar wrote:
I've had both versions of the 40 and 50. I pretty decisively prefer the original 40. For one, the front element is scalloped--I have no reservations leaving its hood in the box. Two, it feels nicer to manipulate; I don't care for the ridges on the focusing ring of the SE. Three, I find it more aesthetically pleasing than the SE; I find it sleek and gorgeous, and when I look at it, it makes me want to go and take pictures with it. Finally, being the lens I have on my body 90% of the time, should I feel
...Show more

But if I put the original hood on original lens it becomes a bit unbalanced on a7riv body and tends to keel forward.

May 03, 2023 at 07:55 PM
nbar

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wisdom on regular or SE edition of Nokton 40/50 1.2 lenses for Sony?

Another reason not to bother with the original hood on the original lens

May 03, 2023 at 08:27 PM
lensfan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wisdom on regular or SE edition of Nokton 40/50 1.2 lenses for Sony?

nbar wrote:
Another reason not to bother with the original hood on the original lens

You are right - just put it in the box. Good bye! And look, how tiny this 1.2 monster is now!

May 03, 2023 at 08:30 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.