Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2023 · Leica M11 Irritants

  
 
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica M11 Irritants


I have had my M11 a few weeks now. I love this camera in almost every way. But as always there are little things that irritate me. For those that are shooting this camera let's list our irrantants with the hope that someone knows a work around, or maybe that Leica will fix them in an upcoming firmware update.

I will start.

Although I don't often shoot with "Live View" or the EVF, when I do I have the Zoom Focusing Aid active to assist in accurate focusing. However, it zooms to the point where the "X" on the screen is located. Since this "X" is positioned by the touch screen, it tends to be accidently moved to one corner or the other of the frame. I never know where the camera is going to Zoom to. It drives me nuts!!! I wish Leica would give me the ability to lock this point in the center of the screen. Then I could quickly and easily focus and recompose.

Anyone know how to do this, or have a good way of dealing with this issue?



Apr 29, 2023 at 03:27 PM
mark1958
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica M11 Irritants


I have the same annoyance. when I use live view zoom-- I want to know how to fix the location (e.g. middle or side) so it does not move once set until I want to move it


Apr 29, 2023 at 03:55 PM
lifeandmylens
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica M11 Irritants


These cameras need a function to turn off the touch screen. The M10 and SL series cameras have the same problem. Double tap the screen and it returns to the center.


Apr 29, 2023 at 05:36 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica M11 Irritants


I resorted to turning off auto-magnification and only zooming via double tap of the LCD in the place where I wanted it to zoom into.


Apr 29, 2023 at 05:38 PM
LBJ2
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica M11 Irritants


highdesertmesa wrote:
I resorted to turning off auto-magnification and only zooming via double tap of the LCD in the place where I wanted it to zoom into.


Also, If using the Visoflex you can turn off the LCD ( and touch control) and only work via the Visoflex/EVF. Use the directional pad on the rear of the camera to change the focus point in the frame.

Display Settings=> EVF ( LCD off completely. EVF for all functions)

Display Settings=> EVF Extended ( EVF for shooting. Touch control can be used for Status Screen functions, accessing menu and image review/swipe only)

Either way, *Turn LV Off then On again always sets the focus point back to center of the frame



Apr 29, 2023 at 06:54 PM
mark1958
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica M11 Irritants


Will try this ..Just seems like too much work. I just dont understand why the zoom default position cannot be set to middle and then if want can move with LCD touch movement or back dial arrows

LBJ2 wrote:
Also, If using the Visoflex you can turn off the LCD ( and touch control) and only work via the Visoflex/EVF. Use the directional pad on the rear of the camera to change the focus point in the frame.

Display Settings=> EVF ( LCD off completely. EVF for all functions)

Display Settings=> EVF Extended ( EVF for shooting. Touch control can be used for Status Screen functions, accessing menu and image review/swipe only)

Either way, *Turn LV Off then On again always sets the focus point back to center of the frame





Apr 29, 2023 at 08:18 PM
RustyRus
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica M11 Irritants


1bwana1 wrote:
I have had my M11 a few weeks now. I love this camera in almost every way. But as always there are little things that irritate me. For those that are shooting this camera let's list our irrantants with the hope that someone knows a work around, or maybe that Leica will fix them in an upcoming firmware update.

I will start.

Although I don't often shoot with "Live View" or the EVF, when I do I have the Zoom Focusing Aid active to assist in accurate focusing. However, it zooms to the point where the "X" on the screen is located.
...Show more


Have you contacted Leica? Being in product development, nothing gets changed without direct feedback from the consumer.



Apr 30, 2023 at 12:18 AM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica M11 Irritants


RustyRus wrote:
Have you contacted Leica? Being in product development, nothing gets changed without direct feedback from the consumer.


No, not sure who to contact that matters.

Leica recently did have me take a survey on what lenses they should make next. I wish they would send one on wwhat I think should be improved on the M11 I just bought.



Apr 30, 2023 at 12:55 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica M11 Irritants


I prefer shooting with the M10-R because there are two specific aspects of the M11 camera that bother me.

First, I would like to have the option to choose whether the shutter closes when the camera powers down or when it comes back from standby mode. Most other mirrorless cameras, like the SL series, don't make a sound when turning on or off. The noise from the shutter opening every time the camera goes into standby or shuts down can be irritating and can also wear out the shutter unnecessarily. It would be better if the shutter only engaged when taking photos, like with other M bodies.

Second, the Leica M11 produces more accurate colors than earlier M cameras. However, there is always a magenta tint in the color output, no matter the white balance setting. To fix this, you can adjust the tint in post-processing, usually within the range of -7 to -10, depending on the image. It may be possible for Leica to adjust this since the camera embeds the color tint number in the DNG file, which is determined by Leica.



Apr 30, 2023 at 10:30 AM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica M11 Irritants


Fred Miranda wrote:
I prefer shooting with the M10-R because there are two specific aspects of the M11 camera that bother me.

First, I would like to have the option to choose whether the shutter closes when the camera powers down or when it comes back from standby mode. Most other mirrorless cameras, like the SL series, don't make a sound when turning on or off. The noise from the shutter opening every time the camera goes into standby or shuts down can be irritating and can also wear out the shutter unnecessarily. It would be better if the shutter only engaged when
...Show more


I see exactly what you are saying about the shutter Fred. But at least that is easily addressed in the current firmware. You can set the Camera to never go into standby which will leave the shutter open the whole time the camera is on. At the same time you can set the LV/EVF to turn off after a set period of time. This does a pretty good job of saving energy, with the added benefit of almost instantly being ready to shoot even with LV/EVF on 1/2 press of the shutter. The start up is completely silent too. The excellent battery life in the M11 probably will mean that you still get longer life with the M11 in this configuration that you do with the M10R.

I love the colors coming out of the M11, and guess I am not noticing the magenta tint. In any case case, I use lightroom so it seems straight forward to do a custom profile for the M11 that will automatically apply your prefered tint adjustment to all M11 files when opening them in lightroom.

So, at least there are easy workarounds for you issues. Mine need a firmware fix.



Apr 30, 2023 at 01:48 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica M11 Irritants


GFX 50S/R was notorious for this magenta tint. One of those things you canít un-see once youíve seen it. It still exists to a lesser extent in the 100S at about the same level as the M11, which makes sense given the same base sensor is used for both. Something at the hardware level coded onto one of the on-sensor chips would be my guess. I doubt it can be fixed in firmware without tinting some scenes too green.

White balance needs the same AI-based love that manufacturers have been giving autofocus. Huge oversight in my opinion.



Apr 30, 2023 at 03:13 PM
Pikal
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica M11 Irritants


1bwana1 wrote:
Although I don't often shoot with "Live View" or the EVF, when I do I have the Zoom Focusing Aid active to assist in accurate focusing. However, it zooms to the point where the "X" on the screen is located. Since this "X" is positioned by the touch screen, it tends to be accidently moved to one corner or the other of the frame. I never know where the camera is going to Zoom to. It drives me nuts!!! I wish Leica would give me the ability to lock this point in the center of the screen. Then I could
...Show more

Exactly, the way this currently functions doesn't work for me.

I would like the option to reset certain settings, of my choosing, when the camera is turned off and back on, e.g. exposure comp.



May 01, 2023 at 03:02 PM
Pikal
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica M11 Irritants


lifeandmylens wrote:
These cameras need a function to turn off the touch screen. The M10 and SL series cameras have the same problem. Double tap the screen and it returns to the center.


That is something I can make good use of, thank you!



May 01, 2023 at 03:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica M11 Irritants


highdesertmesa wrote:
GFX 50S/R was notorious for this magenta tint. One of those things you canít un-see once youíve seen it. It still exists to a lesser extent in the 100S at about the same level as the M11, which makes sense given the same base sensor is used for both. Something at the hardware level coded onto one of the on-sensor chips would be my guess. I doubt it can be fixed in firmware without tinting some scenes too green.

White balance needs the same AI-based love that manufacturers have been giving autofocus. Huge oversight in my opinion.


I was not aware of this. Thanks for the info!



May 07, 2023 at 11:25 AM
1bwana1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica M11 Irritants


Another item to add to my list of "what was Leica thinking?" when designing the M11.

The USB port implementation.

First, let me say it is great to have this port. Downloading my images from camera to computer is very convenient, as is charging the battery through the port. This means I can travel with just the the same USB cord I have for my phone anyway. I can charge while driving around in my car, in the field with a battery bank, or any of the now ubiquitous USB power ports in hotel room, airports, and restaurants. No more traveling with a bunch of different chargers for all of my electronics.

The most obvious thing to not 100% like is the location. Being on the bottom you cannot sit the camera upright during image download or charging. It would have been more convenient in another location. Probably the side would have been best.

It may be some setting, or other user error of mine, but I cannot get the battery to charge unless I leave the camera on. Yes, it goes into standby mode, but still I would prefer to just plug it in and let it charge overnight. I am uncomfortable leaving the camera on all night so it can charge.

Anyone know of a way to get the battery to charge through the USB while the camera is turned off?

By the way, I have the same exact issue whether I am using my phone USB cord, or the Wall Wart and USB cable that came with my M11. So, it is not likely the cable, or power source.



May 07, 2023 at 12:44 PM
highdesertmesa
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica M11 Irritants


1bwana1 wrote:
Another item to add to my list of "what was Leica thinking?" when designing the M11.

The USB port implementation.

First, let me say it is great to have this port. Downloading my images from camera to computer is very convenient, as is charging the battery through the port. This means I can travel with just the the same USB cord I have for my phone anyway. I can charge while driving around in my car, in the field with a battery bank, or any of the now ubiquitous USB power ports in hotel room, airports, and restaurants. No more traveling
...Show more

I thought I remember reading that once the charging starts, you can turn the camera off, and it will continue to charge.



May 07, 2023 at 02:11 PM
LBJ2
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica M11 Irritants


1bwana1 wrote:
Another item to add to my list of "what was Leica thinking?" when designing the M11.

The USB port implementation.

First, let me say it is great to have this port. Downloading my images from camera to computer is very convenient, as is charging the battery through the port. This means I can travel with just the the same USB cord I have for my phone anyway. I can charge while driving around in my car, in the field with a battery bank, or any of the now ubiquitous USB power ports in hotel room, airports, and restaurants. No more traveling
...Show more

It used to be the M11 would USB charge when the camera was turned off. Seems this last firmware update intentionally or unintentionally changed that behavior as I also discovered since I now need to turn the camera ON in order to USB charge. Not sure why the change or maybe it was a user request for some reason. The good news for me is the M11 is now able to USB charge via the Thunderbolt 4 ports in my Mac Studio computer something that was not possible prior to the firmware update.

Having been used to all ports being on the side of my cameras, I also found the very useful M11's USB port to be in an awkward position too, at the bottom of the camera. Who knows the design reason, but I've adjusted since as I just lay the camera facing down with or without the lens when using the USB port. With the camera face down on my desk, I now have access to see/check the green blinking charging light as well as work on the rear screen menu/photos, touch control, dial pad etc. at the same time. Maybe this was the design rationale while maintaining the M10 design ? 🤷🏽‍♂️



May 07, 2023 at 02:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica M11 Irritants


LBJ2 wrote:


The good news for me is the M11 is now able to USB charge via the Thunderbolt 4 ports in my Mac Studio computer something that was not possible prior to the firmware update


I remember this wasn't possible before. I'm glad Leica fixed this bug.



May 07, 2023 at 03:05 PM





FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password



This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.