Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Are M11 users using 60 MP?

choijm0715

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are M11 users using 60 MP?

I'm not a user of the M11, but if I were to buy one in the future, I would use the 36MP resolution.
Is this a waste of money?

I don't have the PC power to use a 60MP resolution and I don't like the noise of a high resolution camera.

I'd like to ask M11 users, do you use the 60MP resolution?
Let us know what you think of the higher resolution of 60MP.

Apr 29, 2023 at 09:11 AM
pmeheut
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are M11 users using 60 MP?

I only use 60MP because lower ones have artifacts. I have enough PC power to handle it but if I did not, I would lower the resolution in Photoshop.

I have no use of 60MP and I do not see the difference even on big prints but I use the virtual x1.3 or x1.8 zoom sometimes and then this is convenient.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:06 AM
mark1958
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are M11 users using 60 MP?

maybe consider the M10 if you won't use 60 megapixels?
I never use less.. can always crop.. If you are going to invest in an M11 why not a new PC

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:31 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are M11 users using 60 MP?

choijm0715 wrote:
I'm not a user of the M11, but if I were to buy one in the future, I would use the 36MP resolution.
Is this a waste of money?

I don't have the PC power to use a 60MP resolution and I don't like the noise of a high resolution camera.

I'd like to ask M11 users, do you use the 60MP resolution?
Let us know what you think of the higher resolution of 60MP.

To me the M11 sensor is the best full frame digital sensor ever offered by Leica. It just happens to be 60 MPs. At 60 MPs it handles noise quite well and I hope to see this sensor in other new Leica cameras too. I also appreciate the feature to use lower resolution files in-camera when wanted/needed so much so that this has now become my own must-have feature when considering buying a new camera going forward.

I prefer to work with as much data as I can--so am happy to accommodate 60 MP + files. But if I'm squeezed on storage space or processing speed, or need to upload photos to social media quickly for various reasons, the M11's triple resolution in-camera feature delivers with confidence. From what I see, the full 60MP file probably delivers the very best critical IQ in general. But the lower resolution in-camera files are very good too.

I don't think you are alone in considering to use or using the Leica M11 at 36MP only as there are many on the forums with similar concerns every time Leica increases sensor MPs in their cameras. IMO given everything else the M11 offers, I don't feel it's a waste of money to use the M11 at 36MP only.

OTOH, I also shot with the 24MP M10 and the 40 MP M10-R and really enjoyed working with those files too. However, the M11 quickly became my favorite rangefinder of the three for many reasons other than 60MPs.

Apr 29, 2023 at 11:09 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are M11 users using 60 MP?

When I first purchased my M11 I thought that I would use the binned 36 mp mode the most. However, in practice I find i shoot almost exclusively in the 60mp mode. I don't find any meaningful advantage in either noise or dynamic range in the other modes. My computer can handle the files OK. I prefer the cropping options, and increased flexibility of the 60 mp mode. I thought I would reserve it for important portraits and landscapes. But as it turns out, if I am willing to click the shutter on a scene, I want the best possible image all the time. FOMO and all being strong in me I guess.

Apr 29, 2023 at 12:11 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are M11 users using 60 MP?

mark1958 wrote:
maybe consider the M10 if you won't use 60 megapixels?
I never use less.. can always crop.. If you are going to invest in an M11 why not a new PC

With the M11 you can crop to get a similar sense of multiple focal lengths like the Q2 does. I sat sense because there are differences between a crop that gives a 50mm field of view and an actual 50mm focal length lens. Leica calls this digital zoom on the M11. I don't think it actually save you any file size in RAW, but does in JPEG files.

The M11 also offers a unique triple resolution feature the is based on pixel binning. The resolutions offered are 60, 36, and 18 megapixel in RAW, and similar saving in JPEG. Interestingly eica says you get higher Dynamic Range, and lower noise in these binned files. This sounds better that the compression schemes other camera companies use. However in my brief and un scientific experimentation with this I haven't not any benefits in those attributes. However, I also haven't noticed any penalties in IQ either.

I really like the way Leica has implimented the 60 mp sensor in the M11. I much prefer it over the A7RIV/V implementations from Sony.

Apr 30, 2023 at 12:30 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are M11 users using 60 MP?

I see no reason to not use 60MP. Itís not like Iím shooting birds at 20fps.

Apr 30, 2023 at 12:55 PM
kinetic
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are M11 users using 60 MP?

I use 60MP. Personally, there's no reason for me not to. I use a pretty huge SD card and have plenty of space on my synology system to store. I also use Amazon Photos to back up on the cloud which has unlimited photo storage, so these 60MP RAW files are freely backed up.

May 02, 2023 at 12:37 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.