New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Any Pentax users here?

Sagar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any Pentax users here?

Just curious if we have any Pentax users here on FM and whatís your experience. Curious about the brand because of K3 Monochrome release, hence the question

Apr 24, 2023 at 03:45 AM
TNCasual
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any Pentax users here?

My main camera is a K1. I am very happy with the results I can get out of it.

That K3 monochrome has shot to second on my wishlist of bodies. First, I need to replace a E-M5ii for telephoto work.

Apr 24, 2023 at 11:44 AM
wastedimages
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any Pentax users here?

Used Pentax for years, lovely cameras, weirdly I switched for full frame and live view to use all my old Pentax glass

Apr 27, 2023 at 09:31 AM
ottokbre
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any Pentax users here?

I've been eyeing a Kp or a K3II/III for a while now. My main concern is primes. The 31/1.8 looks great but where is the 28mm equivalent?

Jun 17, 2023 at 01:46 PM
JCDoss
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any Pentax users here?

I have, use, and love my Pentax K-1 mII cameras. I only use manual focus lenses on my cameras and have loads of fun with it. I have been posting photos in this thread if you want to have a look, and you other Pentaxians can post there too if you want. Do you have specific questions?

Jun 17, 2023 at 04:09 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any Pentax users here?

I would like to be a Pentax shooter, but rationally it just never makes sense. During my bird photography phase, it was the lack of long lenses and superfast cameras. For full frame, it was the fact that the K1 just didnít feel right in my hand. Now, with the monochrome, I rented a regular K3 and loved using the camera, but the Ďlimitedí lenses I would use it with, donít translate to my preferred focal lengths in FF. I loved the 645Z but itís too heavy for me to use on a regular basis. If I had the spare cash, Iíd probably still buy the monochrome and a few lenses, but I canít justify it in my mind.

Jun 18, 2023 at 06:30 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any Pentax users here?

I still use an Auto 110. Great camera.

Jun 18, 2023 at 10:01 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Any Pentax users here?

Desmolicious wrote:
I still use an Auto 110. Great camera.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52815413523_e042b965af_c.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52814959296_954cb99b96_c.jpg

I got that kit, but just bought it for display. Where do you even find the film?

Jun 18, 2023 at 12:32 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Any Pentax users here?

johnvanr wrote:
I got that kit, but just bought it for display. Where do you even find the film?

Lomography sells four different types for it. Plus I bought a massive stash of Superia (expired) from KEH that works great.

Jun 18, 2023 at 05:50 PM
RJMono

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Any Pentax users here?

I've used Pentax cameras since the early 90's and have a solid collection of old 35mm manual focus film bodies and over 30 lenses...one digital body, a K5sII. I do like the digital camera and it works alright with the old glass but my eyes are aging and the viewfinder is getting harder to see through to focus well. I have been contemplating getting a K1markII and may just bite the bullet and order it. The monochrome version of the K3mark III is very interesting but sadly I can't find it for sale anywhere.

The 645 series was always a good solid camera, but I haven't had a need to try the digital versions. Looks like it has been discontinued. I used several of them back in the day.

My favorite film cameras are the K series bodies like the KM and KX, although the K2s are growing on me.

Jun 19, 2023 at 07:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CookieDave

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Any Pentax users here?

Love me some Pentax. While I donít shoot with Pentax anymore, thereís something special about the older film cameras. Really enjoyed shooting with a Spotmatic F, which led me to trying out their digital bodies. Got decently invested, starting with a K-3, and when I found the noise results were a bit much, switched to the K-1. Got in deep enough that I picked up a K100D to use for converting SDM lenses into screw drive. Eventually missed shooting Nikon enough that I sold it all, but I still have a copy of the FA 77mm limited.

Jun 19, 2023 at 07:15 AM
jon.oman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Any Pentax users here?

Well, I have never been a Pentax user. But, I just ordered the Monochrome version. I really wanted a monochrome camera, but could never afford a Leica. So, Pentax won me over. Before this, I was strictly Nikon. I started with the Nikon F. My more recent is the Z7. I only hope I wont have to wait too long for the Pentax K-3 Mark III Monochrome to arrive!

Jun 20, 2023 at 11:19 AM
Nushi

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Any Pentax users here?

Sagar wrote:
Just curious if we have any Pentax users here on FM and whatís your experience. Curious about the brand because of K3 Monochrome release, hence the question

I'm a Pentax user but only barely 'here' on FM. I've used Pentax for a long time film, ff, apsc. 10+ years ago no one made cameras and lenses with the build and haptics a Pentax has. The small metal prime lenses were also rather unique (consciously forgetting Leica here...). They were also almost alone with IBIS and sensor shift (shift lens effect by moving the sensor) which was useful for me.

Their main thing is probably a very different mindset to other brands. As seen in their film project and curious engineering solutions*

Their cameras have remained 'camera like' and despite having many features they never became gadgets. If you like optical viewfinders metal lenses and native mounting of vintage K mount it's a great brand. Make sure the lenses you need are available though as the lineup isn't as extensive as for the old canikon dslr's.

*astro tracer, pixel shift (since 2015), moon lander screen, third dial, sensor shift, hyper auto etc.

Just to add: The relatively new HD Pentax-D FA 21mm f2.4 is a *very* nice, if pricey, lens. https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/limited_lens/dfa_limited/

Jun 20, 2023 at 12:08 PM
CookieDave

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Any Pentax users here?

jon.oman wrote:
Well, I have never been a Pentax user. But, I just ordered the Monochrome version. I really wanted a monochrome camera, but could never afford a Leica. So, Pentax won me over. Before this, I was strictly Nikon. I started with the Nikon F. My more recent is the Z7. I only hope I wont have to wait too long for the Pentax K-3 Mark III Monochrome to arrive!

Heck yeah. Give a little write-up when it arrives. I've been very interested in monochrome cameras, but definitely don't want to drop the change on having something converted through maxmax, and certainly can't afford to pick up one of the Leicas. I've always liked shooting Pentax, but needed more reliable autofocus, and was missing Nikon.

Jun 20, 2023 at 12:22 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Any Pentax users here?

Took this with my Zoom 90WR. Great camera that I still use. You can get them for $10...

LX w 40 2.8

K2 w 50mm 1.4 SMC

Jun 20, 2023 at 01:17 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Any Pentax users here?

I use the Pentax 645Z for landscape stuff and am very happy with the files it produces.

Also will never let go of the following lenses as I can use them on mirrorless bodies:

SMC Takumar 55/1.8
Pentax K 50/1.2

Jun 20, 2023 at 09:32 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Any Pentax users here?

I have an old Spotmatic.

Jun 21, 2023 at 02:19 AM
CookieDave

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Any Pentax users here?

Nice reskin. I never got into that due to having terribly unsteady hands, but that's some nice work right there.

Jun 21, 2023 at 10:22 AM
Abu_Yusuf

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Any Pentax users here?

I'm a former Pentax shooter. Mz-7 was my first camera and the only one I bought new (so far). I have a Pentax S with the amazing 58mm f2. The camera needs a CLA and once I get it ready I'll be an active pentaxian again

Nov 23, 2023 at 07:08 PM
Push1stop
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Any Pentax users here?

If any of you pentax guys want one of those pentax 50mm "zeiss killer" 8 element takumar lenses, I have one ill part with for a fair price ($200 o.b.o.) ... it gets zero use for me and just sits around. PM me if interested

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:59 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.