FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

Archive 2023 · Interesting Leica Survey

Matt Kerby
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Interesting Leica Survey

Funny to get this email.
A couple months ago I was at the Leica Store Bellevue and I was telling the Manager the new SL ASPH's weren't all that well received as they are just being considered Panasonic rebadged lenses online. He seemed surprised and said, well, that doesn't make sense as they're made in Portugal where they've been making m lenses blah blah blah.
I responded with: well, the SL 24-70 and 100-400 are obviously Sigma lenses with some Leica tweaks and that I, as a consumer, understand that I have too make a choice. I believe they are basically the same lenses, but I also believe the Leica branded ones are made more durable and "I guess" upgraded into a Leica lens...So....1st, am I willing to buy a Leica lens made outside Germany, 2nd if IQ is the same, how much more am I willing to pay for the Leica version over the Sigma?
Then...a couple months later i get the survey.

Side note...I'll take either of the 35mm Noct's

Apr 22, 2023 at 10:04 AM
SlowDriver
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Interesting Leica Survey

retrofocus wrote:
Main reason why Leica took the Summarit lenses off their list is due to the push into the luxury brand market. The very good Summarit lenses didn't fit the bill here since they were purposely released as entry-level lenses with lower price tags. Their problem was that they were too good for the price, and made many users not willing to upgrade after having one or several Summarit lenses. I don't believe the reasoning at all that users wanted to pay $$$$ more for a bit faster Summicron or even Summilux lens. But yes, it is true that Leica must
...Show more

Additionally when the Summarits were discontinued Leica Store Miami launched a petition to bring them back. Why would they launch a petition to bring them back if there were not selling well?

Apr 22, 2023 at 06:40 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Interesting Leica Survey

SlowDriver wrote:
Additionally when the Summarits were discontinued Leica Store Miami launched a petition to bring them back. Why would they launch a petition to bring them back if there were not selling well?

+1. It was the only time RedDotForum / Leica Store Miami openly criticized Leica for doing something they didn't agree with.

Apr 22, 2023 at 06:51 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Interesting Leica Survey

Got the survey and like other surveys deleted the email right away. Ironic if Leica, Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses would all be made by Cosina.

Apr 22, 2023 at 06:56 PM
AcuteShadows
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Interesting Leica Survey

retrofocus wrote:
Main reason why Leica took the Summarit lenses off their list is due to the push into the luxury brand market. The very good Summarit lenses didn't fit the bill here since they were purposely released as entry-level lenses with lower price tags. Their problem was that they were too good for the price, and made many users not willing to upgrade after having one or several Summarit lenses. I don't believe the reasoning at all that users wanted to pay $$$$ more for a bit faster Summicron or even Summilux lens. But yes, it is true that Leica must
...Show more

That may well be true. Still, if you resolve the internal competition by discontinuing the product that is in higher demand, you would only do it if a substantial amount of customers is willing to buy the alternative product (that had less demand initially, but a higher margin). I have the 50mm and 90mm Summarit, yet the 28mm Summicron that I also own is clearly the best of those three lenses.

Apr 22, 2023 at 07:03 PM
1              end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1              end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.