Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Any good comparisons between Leica 50mm APO vs FLE 2?

kinetic
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Any good comparisons between Leica 50mm APO vs FLE 2?

Does anyone have the new 50mm Summilux FLE 2 and the 50mm APO Summicron that can do a comparison photo or two?

I don't really care for absolute sharpness, nor those shots where a dead tree is backlit by sun and it's a horrible photo with CA, because I understand those limits.

I'm hoping for someone who can take a nicely light, well composed image, with both lenses. Something around F/2, F/2.8, F/4 would be awesome.

Apr 20, 2023 at 01:14 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Any good comparisons between Leica 50mm APO vs FLE 2?

kinetic wrote:
Does anyone have the new 50mm Summilux FLE 2 and the 50mm APO Summicron that can do a comparison photo or two?

I don't really care for absolute sharpness, nor those shots where a dead tree is backlit by sun and it's a horrible photo with CA, because I understand those limits.

I'm hoping for someone who can take a nicely light, well composed image, with both lenses. Something around F/2, F/2.8, F/4 would be awesome.

I don't think the new 50 Lux Asph 2 is generally available yet (still listed as coming soon at B & H), so I don't think any one will have the comparisons you want. It looks like the new lens will be more available next month, but expect it to be trickle out (new lenses from Leica almost always do). I also don't expect huge differences between version 1 and version 2 of the 50 lux Asph, but again we will have to wait for actual tests to see if that expectation is actually. born out.

While you are waiting for the new lens to become more available, you might want comparison between the 50 Lux Asph and the 50 cron APO. I haven't owned both lenses at the same time, so no direct comparison, but I used to own the 50 cron APO and now own the 50 Lux Asph first version. Here are my thoughts, the 50 cron APO is definitely sharper and has a flatter field, but the transition zone from in focus to out of focus is very fast and can be a bit busy. The 50 Lux Asph is plenty sharp in the center from even wide open and sharp across the from from f/5.6 or so, and has a rendering that I like as well as any lens I have owned. It is my favorite lens that I have ever owned. Even though the 50 cron APO is technically better I prefer the images from the 50 Lux Asph.

Apr 20, 2023 at 01:49 PM
kinetic
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Any good comparisons between Leica 50mm APO vs FLE 2?

Steve Spencer wrote:
I don't think the new 50 Lux Asph 2 is generally available yet (still listed as coming soon at B & H), so I don't think any one will have the comparisons you want. It looks like the new lens will be more available next month, but expect it to be trickle out (new lenses from Leica almost always do). I also don't expect huge differences between version 1 and version 2 of the 50 lux Asph, but again we will have to wait for actual tests to see if that expectation is actually. born out.

While you are waiting
...Show more

I understand it's still early, but I've actually seen a big handful of people already receiving their lenses. Most have just said they unboxed it, and are excited, and I'm just as excited to see some results.

Maybe nobody on FM has it yet? But I've seen many on other communities like reddit, twitter, instagram etc who have them, so I was just under the assumption FM members must have too.

Apr 20, 2023 at 01:53 PM
kinetic
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Any good comparisons between Leica 50mm APO vs FLE 2?

Also, I've never followed a new lens release so closely, so I may hold unrealistic expectations for sure haha.

Apr 20, 2023 at 01:54 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Any good comparisons between Leica 50mm APO vs FLE 2?

Have you seen Jonathan Slack's write-up?

Possibly of interest:

"I've done some extensive comparisons of the lens against the previous 50 Summilux M Asph and also the 50 APO Summicron-M, both for definition and CA. It was no surprise that from f2 onwards the APO Summicron still rules in terms of detail and control of CA, but the new Summilux is a small but noticeable improvement on it's predecessor, especially with respect to edge definition."

Sure, not a lot to go on, but I agree with Steve. The Cron APO will remain the technical champion and the new Lux ASPH will be slightly improved. IMO where it potentially gains the most will be out of focus rendering if the ninja-star aperture shape has been eliminated in the f/2.5-4.5 range.

Edited on Apr 20, 2023 at 03:32 PM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2023 at 03:25 PM
kinetic
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Any good comparisons between Leica 50mm APO vs FLE 2?

rscheffler wrote:
Have you seen Jonathan Slack's write-up?

Possibly of interest:

"I've done some extensive comparisons of the lens against the previous 50 Summilux M Asph and also the 50 APO Summicron-M, both for definition and CA. It was no surprise that from f2 onwards the APO Summicron still rules in terms of detail and control of CA, but the new Summilux is a small but noticeable improvement on it's predecessor, especially with respect to edge definition."

Yup saw that. But I guess I'm a bit less interested in just CA and detail, and more looking for realistic photo comparisons.

Apr 20, 2023 at 03:31 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Any good comparisons between Leica 50mm APO vs FLE 2?

I added a bit to my previous post since you posted. I'll just add that over the years it appears that those who prioritize 'character' seem to prefer the Lux over the Cron APO. Steve mentioned it and I've read other comments to the same effect. This was also mentioned to me as the primary reason by a friend and Leica user who switched back to the Lux after using the Cron APO for a while.

As a long-time Lux ASPH user myself, I've been very tempted by the Cron APO and later the VM 50/2 APO, but IMO there is something very pleasing about the Lux's look (most of the time) that offsets its weaknesses. Given that v2 isn't a total redesign, the optics are only slightly tweaked and MTF isn't considerably different, I suspect v2 will not be any worse in respect to rendering/character. As I suggested, if the new aperture mechanism allows for a rounder openings at wider apertures, it will only be an improvement over v1. For this reason alone, if you don't already have v1, I'd say get the v2 instead. There really isn't a price penalty either, if buying new. But yes, it would be nice to see some side by side comparisons against v1 and the Cron APO.

Apr 20, 2023 at 03:40 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.