New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · New user purchasing on "Buy-Sell"

pixl8

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New user purchasing on "Buy-Sell"

New user here looking for forum alternatives to DP-Review so I just recently registered. I'm amazed by the frequency of commerce happening in the Buy-Sell area, and my new-found interest in acquiring my first Leica has me perusing the sight daily. What do I need to do to make sure my new user status isn't held against me when I find a FS posting I want to act on? As a seller, I'd imagine new users are red-flags they want to avoid.

Thanks,
Will

Apr 18, 2023 at 09:49 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New user purchasing on "Buy-Sell"

pixl8 wrote:
New user here looking for forum alternatives to DP-Review so I just recently registered. I'm amazed by the frequency of commerce happening in the Buy-Sell area, and my new-found interest in acquiring my first Leica has me perusing the sight daily. What do I need to do to make sure my new user status isn't held against me when I find a FS posting I want to act on? As a seller, I'd imagine new users are red-flags they want to avoid.

Thanks,
Will

Ideally your first couple of transactions would be local ones where you met the buyer in person and paid with cash. Those are the lowest risk for the seller especially if you meet at designated places for such transactions--where I live many police stations have designated places for such transactions.

Short of that you will probably want to set up contact with the sellers, perhaps over zoom or a similar system so you can set up visual contact with the seller and verify your address with something like a utility bill that you can show them. If you have history at another site that you can show them this may help.

Still new users do raise concerns. Simple hanging around the forum and being a good forum participants for a few months may be what is necessary before some sellers will sell to you.

Good luck!

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:28 PM
pixl8

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New user purchasing on "Buy-Sell"

Good idea on the visual contact suggestion. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep them in mind moving forward.

Apr 19, 2023 at 08:19 AM
Matt Kerby
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New user purchasing on "Buy-Sell"

pixl8 wrote:

Thanks,
Will

Getting involved with the forum is a good start. Upload some pics, have an opinion. When I'm selling to a newer member I check their posts, their social media (like your flickr)..anything to show me they are a real person. So, post a link on your profile to some social media to make it easy for me. Pay however I want you to pay, respond quickly when I reply to your PM.
Maybe start with a lower cost accessory to get feedback started.
Welcome to the forum!

Apr 19, 2023 at 09:08 AM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New user purchasing on "Buy-Sell"

Simple, registered on B&S forum as a paid member, which will be beneficial to you and of course our beloved forum here.

From there, try to conduct any transaction with a friendly seller with less restrictions on new member, or provide a reference from previous or other platform.

Apr 24, 2023 at 08:57 AM
BruceRH
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New user purchasing on "Buy-Sell"

For someone new, I try to make sure they are legitimate. I will ask for their eBay name, instagram etc. But as others have said, participate on the forums. The first think I do is a search on the user name to see if you have any posts here. I sold a Leica to a new member after I got I good idea of who he was through that process. Welcome to the forum, this is a great place to buy and sell as well as the amount of information available on the forums. Much more civil than DPR. I see you are in Irving, I am not too far from you in Bedford.

Apr 25, 2023 at 06:28 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New user purchasing on "Buy-Sell"

In addition to other great points already made by others, I would say try to do you first transactions with well established members who have a lot of feedback and have done a good number of transactions here. The established seller would likely have a better idea of what assurance they need from you to trust you, unlike a new seller who would be more nervous themselves about the transaction. At the same time it will protect you as well, so that no one tries to exploit you for your inexperience either.

Apr 25, 2023 at 06:48 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.