FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

kinetic
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Focusing so precisely isn't a Leica specific problem. That's why people who are doing very precise macro work, for example, use focusing rails. Basically on a tripod, you have a very precise rail that will adjust the distance. It's great if you want perfect 1:1 magnification shooting at super shallow DOF.

May 02, 2023 at 12:34 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

M11 50mm 1.4 @f2-2,8 cannot remember which

May 02, 2023 at 03:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Although I haven't seen it yet, I am confident that they spoke highly of the M11M, describing it as exceptional.

May 07, 2023 at 10:17 AM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

M11 and the 50mm/1.4 close focus
THe close up images of the flowers were at the minimal focus distance aperture 2-2.8

May 07, 2023 at 02:24 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

The Leica M11 Monochrome is now in stock at Adorama:

https://www.adorama.com/lcm11mb.html

May 10, 2023 at 10:13 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Did anyone already compare old FLE and new FLE II with regards to flare resistance?

Currently have an MK I on the table and I am honestly a bit shocked how badly it handles backlight.

May 11, 2023 at 08:31 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

BastianK wrote:
Did anyone already compare old FLE and new FLE II with regards to flare resistance?

Currently have an MK I on the table and I am honestly a bit shocked how badly it handles backlight.

I own both for the time being....I could try and run some tests on it.

May 11, 2023 at 11:11 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

I had the pleasure of running around Pittsburgh with the new 50 and the M11m. So much fun to use this combo.

Below are two shots taken a few seconds apart, not sure what Im more impressed with. A very useable shot at 16k ISO or the wide open performance of this lens. Very impressive results IMO. I don't recall if I was wide open or not...I think I was but exif is showing 2.0 so somewhere near that above or below. The vignetting would leave me to believe wide open but could be wrong.

Both are 100% untouched with just the basic LR import settings done. No noise reduction at all.

ISO 2000 F 2(ish) 1/180

ISO 16000 F 5.6 1/180

May 11, 2023 at 12:57 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

RustyRus wrote:
I had the pleasure of running around Pittsburgh with the new 50 and the M11m. So much fun to use this combo.

Below are two shots taken a few seconds apart, not sure what Im more impressed with. A very useable shot at 16k ISO or the wide open performance of this lens. Very impressive results IMO. I don't recall if I was wide open or not...I think I was but exif is showing 2.0 so somewhere near that above or below. The vignetting would leave me to believe wide open but could be wrong.

Both are 100% untouched with just
...Show more

Very impressive indeed. Did you use a color filter for these images?

May 17, 2023 at 09:47 AM
RustyRus
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

I had a yellow color filter on at the time.

May 17, 2023 at 04:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

With origianl MM there was some discussion on Rangefinder Forum not long after it came out (2012/13 or so) about a light yellow filter hit the sweet spot of that sensor. IIRC Leica had confirmed that. Don't know about the later Monos though. I do use a yellow, orange and red filter form time to time to get a certain effect.

May 17, 2023 at 04:53 PM
RustyRus
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

airfrogusmc wrote:
With origianl MM there was some discussion on Rangefinder Forum not long after it came out (2012/13 or so) about a light yellow filter hit the sweet spot of that sensor. IIRC Leica had confirmed that. Don't know about the later Monos though. I do use a yellow, orange and red filter form time to time to get a certain effect.

I have an orange filter that I have used in bright light but honestly I have been happy with yellow at all times.

Seems telling to me that Leica doesn’t sell anything but a green, yellow and orange filter. I would guess those are what would work best in Leica’s eyes on the Mono camera.

May 17, 2023 at 05:17 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Actually it is a Heliopan light yellow digital that was being discussed.

May 17, 2023 at 05:20 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

BastianK wrote:

Flare and Leica go together like peas and carrots.

I'm surprised Leica never bought a vial of Zeiss T* coating on the black market to have it analyzed

May 17, 2023 at 07:35 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Is flare always a bad thing? Some people actually like the subtle veiling flare and ghosting that happens when shooting against the light, as it can create a pleasant atmosphere in photos. Personally, I enjoy it when using both the 35 and 50 lux asph lenses.

May 17, 2023 at 07:46 PM
BastianK
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Fred Miranda wrote:
Is the flare necessarily a negative aspect? Some people actually appreciate the subtle veiling flare that occurs when shooting against the light, as it adds a pleasant atmosphere to the photos. Personally, I enjoy it when using both the 35 and 50 lux asph lenses.

50mm 1.4 Asph looks as bad as a Zhong Yi 50mm 0. 95 lens in back-lit scenarios.
Rainbow artefacts, ring flares, internal reflections.
Definitely not what I would be looking for in a high performance lens.

May 18, 2023 at 12:07 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

When I want zero flare, when shooting an M camera, in a back- or side-light situation, I use my Zeiss Distagon 35mm f/1.4 ZM lens. I expect various types of flare, when using my Leica lenses, particularly my Summilux 50mm ASPH, APO Summicron 75mm ASPH, and Elmarit-M 28mm v.3 lenses, in such situations. This does not bother me; I added the Leica M system, starting with the Summilux 50mm ASPH, to serve as an antidote to the “perfect” images I had been expected to produce, with a DSLR, as part of my duties as a public servant. (I may be artless, but, I can continue to attempt to be creative, which includes intentionally using flare.)

I have yet to test my relatively new Cosina Voigtlander 50mm f/1.0 Nokton VM, in conditions that would predictably cause my Summilux 50mm ASPH to flare. It has not yet seemed important to have a 50mm M-mount lens that does not flare, but I reckon that I would buy myself an APO Lanthar 50mm VM if if I were expected to produce perfect 50mm images with an M camera.

May 18, 2023 at 01:11 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

BastianK wrote:

Naaaahhhh, oh wait…

May 18, 2023 at 09:37 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

Fred Miranda wrote:
Is flare always a bad thing? Some people actually like the subtle veiling flare and ghosting that happens when shooting against the light, as it can create a pleasant atmosphere in photos. Personally, I enjoy it when using both the 35 and 50 lux asph lenses.

One of the reasons I love the 50 Cron v5 is the unique flare shapes. They definitely have an artistic use. Digital has made placement of the flare effects simple, but on film, it can be risky if you're shooting professional portraits, weddings, etc. "Know your tools" is appropriate here I guess – don't shoot into the light with film if you can't risk the flare hitting someone's face or don't have the experience to know where the flare usually hits.

May 18, 2023 at 10:27 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

BastianK wrote:

Was the 50/1.4 Lux v2 tested to compare its flare resistance with the previous version?

May 18, 2023 at 05:12 PM
       6       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.