FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · What is "macro"?

LarryBeemer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is "macro"?

As the topic title suggests, I'm curious if there is a definitive definition of "macro"?

Is it the distance the lens is from the subject?

Is it the lens needed to be used to record the image?

At what point does a macro image become....not macro? Or vice versa, at what point does a non macro image become macro? (does that make sense?)

Is there a difference between a close up and a macro image?

Are images used in some small product advertising campaigns considered macro or close up or....?

I guess the main purpose of my asking is that I don't want to post images in this section if they are not considered macro. I don't want to soil the sandbox so to speak.

Would you consider this image to be a close up image or a macro image?

https://lightbeemzphoto.com/photos/misc/birdie_8286c.jpg

©¿©
LB

Mar 31, 2023 at 07:09 PM
doady
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is "macro"?

Macro is close up but so much so that we start to notice things we can't see with the naked eye, so I would say your photo is not quite macro territory yet. Maybe 1:1 magnification ratio (or full frame equivalent) or higher.

But there is no other forum on FM for less close-up or semi-macro (or any kind of still life for that matter) so I don't think anyone will complain if you post them here.

My previous point-and-shoot was capable of 1.25:1 ratio (fill the frame with an object 28mm wide) but with my current camera the lenses I have are only capable of around 1:4 or 1:3, and it's not quite the same experience. Macro is so fun because it like exploring a different world, so as the photographer you will know better than anyone if you have done macro or not.

Mar 31, 2023 at 09:43 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is "macro"?

doady wrote:
Macro is close up but so much so that we start to notice things we can't see with the naked eye, so I would say your photo is not quite macro territory yet. Maybe 1:1 magnification ratio (or full frame equivalent) or higher.

But there is no other forum on FM for less close-up or semi-macro (or any kind of still life for that matter) so I don't think anyone will complain if you post them here.

My previous point-and-shoot was capable of 1.25:1 ratio (fill the frame with an object 28mm wide) but with my current camera the lenses I have
...Show more

Fully agree.

Brian V.

Mar 31, 2023 at 11:47 PM
MHVirginia

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is "macro"?

I agree. Macro shows the subject from a new perspective, not necessarily possible with the naked eye. I like seeing macro that the shows beauty within.

Apr 02, 2023 at 03:50 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is "macro"?

This board, under its present name, was originally set up for what we would probably call close-ups (far less that 1:1). When members persisted in posting much closer shots (1:1, 2:1, etc.) the originator abandoned it personally.

If you exclude birds, mammals, bushes and trees, pretty much anything else seems acceptable, including still life.

Some authors upload images which would be ideal here on the Nature and Wildlife board. I cross-post mine from here to there.

You can judge whether it is worthwhile for a particular image by viewings and replies.

Harold

Apr 03, 2023 at 01:48 AM
Tony Ross
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What is "macro"?

The definition of 1:1 macro is when the image on the sensor is the same size as the object in real life.

Apr 03, 2023 at 05:30 AM
LarryBeemer
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What is "macro"?

LordV wrote:

doady wrote:

MHVirginia wrote:

e6filmuser wrote:

Tony Ross wrote:

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I have been exploring studio/advertising/commercial/still life type images as of late. A while back I was told my work really didn't belong in the board that includes studio/advertising in the name because it didn't include people. It was suggested my work was more suited to be in the Macro board hence my inquiry here. I don't consider my work to be Macro necessarily but I stopped posting it in that board so as not to ruffle any feathers. While I admire much of what I see posted here, 1:1 macro is not really my thing.

I was just looking for someplace to post images. Too bad there isn't a board where studio/advertising/still life images actually fit. One last image before I go.

https://lightbeemzphoto.com/photos/misc/seatreasures_8296.jpg

©¿©
LB

Apr 03, 2023 at 12:08 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.