New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

chrislee
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

My husband somehow got a smudge on his brand new M11. He's pretty bummed out...any suggestions as to what to do? There's no Leica store here in Portland OR.
Thanks!

Mar 17, 2023 at 08:57 AM
xpfloyd
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

Can be cleaned with a sensor cleaning kit but if he doesn’t want to attempt that himself this can be done anywhere that offers that service (I.e doesn’t need to be a Leica centre)

Mar 17, 2023 at 09:23 AM
chrislee
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

Does this void the warranty?

Mar 17, 2023 at 09:24 AM
xpfloyd
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

https://www.pdxcamera.com/

This is in Portland (no idea how close that is to you as I’m in the UK )

Mar 17, 2023 at 09:25 AM
xpfloyd
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

No wouldn’t void the warranty, it’s just maintenance

Mar 17, 2023 at 09:25 AM
xpfloyd
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

Sorry just realised that shop I linked is closed

Mar 17, 2023 at 09:26 AM
jstrawman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

xpfloyd wrote:
https://www.pdxcamera.com/

This is in Portland (no idea how close that is to you as I’m in the UK )

More detail on services:

https://www.pdxcamera.com/camera-sensor-cleaning

Mar 17, 2023 at 09:27 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

chrislee wrote:
Does this void the warranty?

No, wet sensor cleaning is a standard maintanence procedure for digital cameras. I suggest your husband learn to do it himself. Many camera strores offer a class to teach this. Until then, it is best he pay a pro to do it.

Mar 17, 2023 at 09:38 AM
LBJ2
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

You can google "how to clean your camera sensor" for a plethora of results and tutorials. Same with Youtube--lots of good tutorials and cleaning kit recommendations.

Sounds like your situation might require "wet cleaning" aka a few drops of sensor cleaning liquid on a specially designed sensor cleaning swab.

Note: We are actually cleaning a glass cover on top of the sensor, not the sensor itself. The official recommendation is to send the camera in for a professional cleaning. This can be expensive and time consuming, particularly if you send in to Leica. Since this can be a recurring situation, I think many of us just learn how to DIY.

For Example:

https://petapixel.com/how-to-clean-camera-sensor/#How_to_Wet_Clean_Your_Sensor

M11 Sensor cleaning settings: ( How to open the shutter on the M11 to expose the sensor cover glass for cleaning)

Mar 17, 2023 at 09:48 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

chrislee wrote:
My husband somehow got a smudge on his brand new M11. He's pretty bummed out...any suggestions as to what to do? There's no Leica store here in Portland OR.
Thanks!

@chrislee

I live in Portland, and have used “Camera Solutions” in John’s Landing in SW for multiple repairs and a sensor clean. Mine was done in about a day, not too expensive and well done. Highly recommended. You can call and get a price for a standard sensor clean.

Mar 17, 2023 at 10:20 AM
chrislee
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

Thanks so much 1bwana1! I'll look into that company.

Also Thanks for the YT link, very good to know/learn in case of emergency.

Mar 17, 2023 at 10:25 AM
pmeheut
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

And with the M11, you need to learn to clean the sensor: it is a dust magnet.
For some reason, the shutter does not close automatically when changing the lens unless turning the power off before.
And even if this was the case, lacking any automatic cleaning mechanism, you will get dirt and worse...

I built a cleaning travel kit for the M11: VisibleDust Corner to Corner, EzKlean Sensor Loupe × 1,
Lenspen Sensor Klear and UES Mini Portable Air Dust Blower.

Of course, one can build one with a different approach and/or components and some experience is required to use any of these efficiently and not making it worse when cleaning.

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:12 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

Edited on Mar 18, 2023 at 12:36 AM · View previous versions

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:34 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

I make sure the power is off before changing lenses on all my cameras. It is just good practice. I have heard the an active sensor is charged so static electricity attracts dust. Not sure how true that is.

On the M11 the shutter stays open whenever the camera is on and sensor is charged because it meters from the sensor unlike any other M camera.

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:35 AM
pmeheut
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

1bwana1 wrote:
I make sure the power is off before changing lenses on all my cameras. It is just good practice.

There is no need with my several micro43 bodies. They clean the sensor automatically by vibrating it at high frequency using the IBIS.

1bwana1 wrote:
On the M11 the shutter stays open whenever the camera is on and sensor is charged because it meters from the sensor unlike any other M camera.

Yes and this is bad. I would like an option at least to close it when changing lens. I even asked Leica about it so maybe we will get it in the M23.

Turning the power off each time is no biggie but still, the camera could protect the shutter automatically. And a M11 does not restart instantly, a very bad Leica habit that started with the M8 but they cannot get rid off for reasons beyond understanding and logic.

Mar 18, 2023 at 01:24 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Smudge on New M11 Sensor

pmeheut wrote:
There is no need with my several micro43 bodies. They clean the sensor automatically by vibrating it at high frequency using the IBIS.

Yeah, all my mirrorless cameras except my Leica M11/M10-P have that feature available. I just would rather keep it clean than have to clean it.

I have shot with my A1 for over 2 years now I think and have never had to clean the sensor despite who know how many hundreds (thousands?) of lens changes. All done with the shutter closed and the camera off.

Before the shutter sensor protection feature I would need to clean my mirrorless camera sensors every couple of months. Even with the IBIS shakers.

I will just keep doing what works for me I guess.

Mar 18, 2023 at 04:20 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.