Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Anyone using magnetic filters with Fuji lenses?

mjm6
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using magnetic filters with Fuji lenses?

Hi folks,

As part of assembling a compact and low weight system, I am using the X-T5 and a few lenses; 10-24, 16-80, and 55-200. I have a few fixed lenses as well, but I'm not concerned about filter use with them ATM.

The three zooms use 62mm and 72mm filters. So, I'm looking a a small kit of ND and CPL filters to fit those sizes, and I am thinking that I could get the 72mm Freewell or Kase or K&F, or whomever magnetic filters and keep the two lenses with the 72mm housed with an adapter ring and magnetic lenscap and then add a 62-72mm step up ring in the bag for the 55-200, which is the lone lens that uses the 62mm filter size.

However, I can't seem to find any useful information on how much the filter systems will vignette a wide angle lens if you are using 1, 2, or more filters... I'm nostly concerned about the 10-24 and whether I can get even a single filter on it without vignetting without actually using a 77mm or 82mm filter system, which somewhat defeats the purpose of using a smal, compact and quick filter approach.

The reason I see this as a problem is probably obvious to all of you, but in case it isn't, here's what my main problem is: if I use a 72mm system, 2 out of three lenses will have the system mounted and ready for immediate use, and I can also still use the lens hoods with the lenses (probably, but maybe someone can confirm that). The third will require screwing in the step-up adapter and then you are ready to go, but you won't be able to use the lens hood with it at all. If I have to go to the 77mm or the 82mm to keep from physical vignetting, I now no longer have a "ready to use" magnetic system for my most used lenses and it will also be a little bigger and bulkier. That basically defeats half of the point of the magnetic system in the first place.

What I was hoping for is a decent magnetic system that would allow me to have a really fast and efficient approach for the X system. If I can get the 10-24 to work well at 10mm with a single filter and maybe at 12mm or so with two filters using the Freewell system, that will probably be good enough to take that approach. The Freewell appears to be the leader in part because the filters are quite thin (they appear to be a lot thinner than the K&F filters, for example) and the magnets appear to be stonrger than the Kase ones. If these systems vignette with a single and I'd have to zoom out to 18mm or so for two filters, then I'm not going to go that route.

Is there anyone with experience with the 10-24 and the Freewell or any of the other magnetic filters on the board? I'd appreciate some helpful input.

Mar 15, 2023 at 04:47 PM
Forum GAS

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using magnetic filters with Fuji lenses?

Can’t help on that specific lens, as I shoot mainly primes. I guess the question is which filters are you stacking? Some brands combine the polarizer with an ND filter. Thus, you don’t need to stack filters.

Mar 18, 2023 at 08:46 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using magnetic filters with Fuji lenses?

Thanks, that was a thought I had as well...

I don't have any 72mm filters here to test, but I suspect based on some filter step up rings, etc. that a normal (non slim) 72mm filter will show up in the corners on the lens. Not 100% positive of that, but that is somewhat my expectation based on some trials I did a few days ago.

Because of that, I decided to forego the magnetic approach and go with larger (82mm) filters and a stepup ring (and a second one for the 55-200, which is 62mm. If I ever get a 100-400 or 150-600, I'll be covered with this size as well, but I doubt I'd use them with these (maybe the polarizer).

This basically means I have to skip the hood in those situations, but I can always use my hand or a hat for a little cover when needed.

Mar 19, 2023 at 11:41 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using magnetic filters with Fuji lenses?

I use the H&Y magnetic filter system with the Fuji GFX and Cambo technical camera---not the X series (yet). I think this is what you are looking for with your ultra wide angle X lenses: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1537511-REG/h_y_filters_fh100_with_this_new_hy.html?sts=pi

There are available "drop in" Polarizers, ND, and Polarized ND filters that don't take up a magnetic 4x6 filter slot.

Ken

Mar 20, 2023 at 05:00 AM
themb3life
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using magnetic filters with Fuji lenses?

Rather than focusing on brands with magnetic options, I invested in the Manfrotto XUME adapter so I can make any filter magnetic. I have 3 different brand filters. I only use the magnetic for the 10 stop as my 6 stop the camera can see thru it.

Mar 20, 2023 at 03:45 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using magnetic filters with Fuji lenses?

I use the Kase and Maven magnetic filters on all my cameras including GFX and X. You won’t get a thinner filter system, especially the polariser because the filter rotates in the magnetic holder itself, keeping the system slim. I use 77 on the X and 82 on the GFX. The 10-24 doesn’t show and vignetting with a single filter but can with 3 filters stacked. Something I never do in real life.

All my hoods stay at home. I have a magnetic rubber hood but mostly use a black card for lens shading. All my lenses have the ring attached permanently and a magnetic lens cap on each.

Gordon

Mar 20, 2023 at 06:19 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.