New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Medium Format Film in 2023?

bjhurley
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

Desmolicious wrote:
There was a really decent Yashicamat 124G on the B&S board recently, at a decent price - $250. Gone now.

You'll enjoy reading Daniel Schaefer's account of an encounter between his Yashicamat 124G and a bicycle:

https://www.japancamerahunter.com/2016/04/in-your-bag-no-1363-daniel-schaefer/

"A true warhorse from pouring summer rain in Spokane washington, to head on collisions with an italian ambulance in Firenze, Yaz has seen just about every bit of action a camera could hope for, and has come out without a dent every time. I kid you not, in 2011 while photographing a shockingly chic woman rounding the corner of Union Sq on a black vespa, the camera (and myself) were hit at full speed by a careless bike messenger, and when the damage was surveyed, the camera didn’t have a scratch on it, but the handlebars of the hipsters fixie had a perfect figure eight, twin lens dent on the aluminum handlebars."

Nov 17, 2023 at 02:07 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

lol. My 124G's film transport broke just sitting there...

Nov 17, 2023 at 02:11 PM
genjy
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

Edited on Nov 17, 2023 at 04:12 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2023 at 02:39 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

^^^Great advice in all the postings^^^

Here's another alternative you might consider--Rolleiflex 6008 (in its several iterations). It's an automated Hasselblad, in its essence. Zeiss lenses identical to the ones for the 500 CM and rarer, Schneider equivalents. The prices remain more modest compared to its Swedish sister or Mamiya 6/7.

Nov 17, 2023 at 02:53 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

j.liam wrote:
^^^Great advice in all the postings^^^

Here's another alternative you might consider--Rolleiflex 6008 (in its several iterations). It's an automated Hasselblad, in its essence. Zeiss lenses identical to the ones for the 500 CM and rarer, Schneider equivalents. The prices remain more modest compared to its Swedish sister or Mamiya 6/7.

Call around to see if anyone can service it. And google reliability issues etc.

Maybe someone here has experience with it.

And here:

https://casualphotophile.com/2017/10/06/rollei-6008-professional-medium-format-slr-camera-review/

Nov 17, 2023 at 03:37 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

Eric Hiss of www.rolleiflex.us who was/is the official importer has access to repair techs and parts.

Nov 17, 2023 at 04:58 PM
el.mediocre

Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

Push1stop wrote:
I just opened my fridge and found a pro pack plus 1 extra roll of Provia 400X in 120, expired 11/2014.
Pretty sure its out of production.. anyone familiar with this stuff?

Never heard of it but I’ll take it off your hands if you’re looking to get rid of it

Nov 17, 2023 at 08:53 PM
weatherproof

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

speedgraphic wrote:
My .2c... Medium format is worth it absolutely. 35mm is similar to shooting digital with a lot of SLRs so it can seem like just a kind of lo-fi alternative. 120 is a significant quality jump. It's where you start seeing grainless images with some films, and superior tonality. Plus the cameras often work differently and are fun to use.

Late to the party, but you took the words right out of my mouth.

With FF digital and phone cameras improving so much, and film prices going up up up, shooting 35mm seems less attractive (unless I was filthy rich).

Medium format is a slower style of shooting that digital won't be able to offer unless someone brings out a digital TLR at some point. Also, TLRs are one of the most disarming, even charming, cameras if you ever photograph people.

Nov 18, 2023 at 12:11 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

120 vs 35? Both.

Some people want to see grain in their images. You pick the appropriate format for what you want to do.

Nov 18, 2023 at 12:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oldwino
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

I look at it from a different perspective...120 / medium format is very close to digital in terms of clean images and expanded tonality, etc. So why bother? Digital is just easier and you get the same sort of look, especially with some of today's very fast lenses. The film cameras in this format are large and bulky - again the advantage is with the smaller, more capable digital cameras here.

The real difference lies in 135 - digital can't do grain very well, it can't match the tonal compression, and it certainly can't match the highlight roll off that film can do. Shooting 135 just gives you a very-different-to-digital look. That's why I continue to use it.

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:48 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

Oldwino wrote:
I look at it from a different perspective...120 / medium format is very close to digital in terms of clean images and expanded tonality, etc. So why bother?

I think it's more that medium format can be closer to digital but it can also be very different.

One of my favorite photographers, Christy McNamara, uses a Rolleiflex, often in very low light, and I don't think anyone could claim these look anything like digital:

https://www.christymcnamara.com/the-fair-of-spancilhill/

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:52 AM
Oldwino
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

bjhurley wrote:
I think it's more that medium format can be closer to digital but it can also be very different.

One of my favorite photographers, Christy McNamara, uses a Rolleiflex, often in very low light, and I don't think anyone could claim these look anything like digital:

https://www.christymcnamara.com/the-fair-of-spancilhill/

oh for sure. I was referring more to some of the previous posts, extolling the "cleaner" look of medium format film vs 35mm, and also the perceived advantages of the larger format in terms of "quality". Thanks for sharing that link.

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:59 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

weatherproof wrote:
Late to the party, but you took the words right out of my mouth.

With FF digital and phone cameras improving so much, and film prices going up up up, shooting 35mm seems less attractive (unless I was filthy rich).

Medium format is a slower style of shooting that digital won't be able to offer unless someone brings out a digital TLR at some point. Also, TLRs are one of the most disarming, even charming, cameras if you ever photograph people.

“Slow style shooting” is in one’s head. It’s a discipline that many seem to have a hard time adhering to when shooting digital. Kind of the same mentality of eating too much at an all you can eat buffet. There is nothing stopping you from making slow deliberate images with a digital system…other than yourself.

Nov 19, 2023 at 12:10 PM
el.mediocre

p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

chez wrote:
“Slow style shooting” is in one’s head. It’s a discipline that many seem to have a hard time adhering to when shooting digital. Kind of the same mentality of eating too much at an all you can eat buffet. There is nothing stopping you from making slow deliberate images with a digital system…other than yourself.

I partially agree, but there is a significant distinction to be made between self-imposed limitations while shooting digital images and the technical ones that come with shooting film. People respond differently to both, and I think that applies to both the user and the people they may interact with. And I think the situation matters as well.

Edited on Nov 19, 2023 at 07:08 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2023 at 02:28 PM
el.mediocre

p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

weatherproof wrote:
Also, TLRs are one of the most disarming, even charming, cameras if you ever photograph people.

Personally, I shoot in a lot of city/residential areas and have noticed that I am regarded very differently when moving through those spaces with film cameras as opposed to digital ones. It just seems like film cameras are more “charming” in the minds of most people. So much so that I’ve started to think of my Hasselblad as the “portrait/landscape peacock” of my toolset because it sticks out in a way that makes people curious instead of suspicious. People ask questions about it, and the interactions I have are generally more positive overall. Kinda wild, but I’ll take it

Nov 19, 2023 at 02:50 PM
bjhurley
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

el.mediocre wrote:
Personally, I shoot in a lot of city/residential areas and have noticed that I am regarded very differently when moving through those spaces with film cameras as opposed to digital ones. It just seems like film cameras are more “charming” in the minds of most people. So much so that I’ve started to think of my Hasselblad as the “portrait/landscape peacock” of my toolset because it sticks out in a way that makes people curious instead of suspicious. People ask questions about it, and the interactions I have are generally more positive overall. Kinda wild, but I’ll take it
...Show more

In his great book, Fifty Portraits, Gregory Heisler talks about this as well; when he had an assignment to take a portrait of Yasser Arafat, it turned out Arafat was intrigued by his large-format view camera, saying he hadn't seen one since he was a little boy, and it made him take the occasion more seriously than he might have otherwise.

The one thing I disagree with Heisler on, though, is that he makes a big point of the photographer being able to engage more directly with the subject when using a large-format camera, because the photographer's not peering through a viewfinder. But you can do the same thing with any camera: put it on a tripod, compose the shot, then move away from the camera and talk with your subject face to face, with a shutter release cable in your hand.

Nov 19, 2023 at 03:43 PM
Abu_Yusuf

p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Medium Format Film in 2023?

Someone mentioned folders... I just picked up a Voigtlander Bessa II and finished the second roll. I know part of it is the new camera thing, but it really feels great. Small, quiet, light, nice viewfinder (and I have a Leica M2 to compare), beautiful negatives... I haven't touched my mamiya 645 since... But it's only been a month and a half

Nov 23, 2023 at 06:47 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.