New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2023 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

GatorRoll

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

It is safe to say that Canon mirrorless is out of its infancy and has developed enough that it has come into its own as a system. Technologies are now stable, appealing, and reliable, with a few exceptions (e.g., battery life), even for lower end models such as the R8. The R8 is a great statement of how far Canon has come. So if you move to FF mirrorless from DSLR today, you are no longer an early adopter. For those of you who have converted in the past year, how would you characterize your bottom-line experience? Would you do it all over again, or delay it? Is it a better user experience on your mirrorless? Are you getting consistently better results on your R5 or R6 compared to (say) your 5D mark IV? I’m trying to look at this through a bottom-line assessment of your human experience (it should come with JOY), versus assessing the dilemma merely on the technology and the specs.

Mar 05, 2023 at 10:55 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

Well, I haven't converted but I did use mirrorless for about a year and a half as a primary camera. It's fine, I liked my older m4/3 quite a bit. But I am in no hurry to convert.

As far as joy I still like my DSLR.

Mar 05, 2023 at 11:44 AM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

I made the jump to mirrorless when the R6 came out. That's when I considered Canon's mirrorless ready to replace DSLRs. I have no regrets. Battery life is sufficient, basically requiring 2 batteries for most days vs 1. High ISO performance is much improved. I'd say my best DSLR images are as good as my best R6 images, but the R6 makes it a lot easier to get excellent results. My biggest requirement in a camera is auto-focus performance. The R6's tracking and ability to place a face anywhere in the frame instead of near the center is a game changer. I do a lot less cropping for composition now. The ergonomics are excellent and one of the big reasons I stayed with Canon.

Mar 05, 2023 at 11:48 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

I've been dabbling in mirrorless with Pen and Lumix M34 and M series cameras since 2010, so I sorta knew what I was getting into. The M34 and M cameras were nice for coat pocket use but didn't temp me to give up my DSLRs. I bought the much maligned EOS R during a fire sale last year and didn't touch my EOS 90D and 6D MK II much after that. The R was great for landscapes and macro and my keeper rate basically doubled due to the more accurate AF. Yes, 4K video fell short and that gave me an excuse to buy an R7 and R6 MK II. Been happy with all three cameras. The learning curve was steep for the AF system and took me a few months to feel confident I knew what I was doing. Both the R and R6 MK II deliver a level better IQ than my prior 6D MK II, whereas the R7 is about the same as my 90D. Again, the main improvement for me was AF. I still use one-shot mode but servo and tracking are so much better than my prior DSLRs I actually use those features regularly.

Mar 05, 2023 at 12:08 PM
Tom In Arizona
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

Hi GatorRoll...

I've used Canon DSLRs from the Rebel series to the 50D, 70D, 80D, and finally the 5D MK IV. I bought the R5 in September, 2020 and would never go back to a DSLR. I shoot mainly birds so the R5's animal eye autofocus changed everything for me. For my use, the R5 covers all the technical spec requirements and then some. As to the "human experience", it took a while to learn the new camera settings and how they were inter-related, but once past that curve, it's been smooth sailing. The R5 just "feels right" when I'm shooting from the viewfinder to the LCD screen, to the controls. I have many, many more keepers, focus is ultra-fast and the 45MP sensor delivers wonderful results.

Many mirrorless systems have become available since I got my R5 whether you're a Canon, Nikon or other brand shooter. I'll leave that choice to you, but mirrorless will likely be a wise choice.

Tom

Mar 05, 2023 at 12:43 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

I purchased an R7 when it came out last year to replace my M6II kit. It soon replaced my wife's and my APS-C kits, except perhaps the 90D if long battery life is an issue, or if the 100-500 doesn't live up to replacing my EF 100-400 II. With the RF 100-400 it is brilliant in good light. It proved itself on an Alaskan wildlife trip last fall. The 18-150 is a good lens for my wife's use. I still use my favorite EF-S macro lenses and have little hope Canon will replace them.

With the holiday discounts I purchased an R5 and two f4 L zooms. We have a more landscape, cultural oriented trip coming up that will be the real test for this new system. The animal and object oriented AF is excellent, but I've yet to really test the body for street or landscape. The Rs are a lot more complicated for AF configuration and while the button customization is very useful, it means remembering what controls what. We shall see how this works for me during this trip.

I'm getting used to the EVF and appreciate extra info in the viewfinder. The instant video recording is potentially useful but I've had to upgrade my hard drives to accommodate 4K video. From my testing I should be able to take advantage of the R5's high MP count to crop in 1.5 or 1.6 extending the range of any lens I'm currently using, e.g. my 24-105 becomes a 24-150 if I do my job right.

I've been using 5D and XXD series with the f4 L zooms including the 100-400 since they came out and expect these R version to provide equivalent IQ. I don't really expect the R5 to fundamentally improve on my 5D4 IQ except in resolution but if it equals it, I will be very happy. The added mirrorless features should extend the types of images I can capture. My DSLRs have served me very well and there hasn't been much I haven't captured to my satisfaction.

I'll add that the R lens lineup offers some new capabilities as well. The RF 100-400 saves two pounds over the EF version in good light. The close focus ability of the RF 16, 14-35, 85, 100-400 and even 100-500 really extends their capability, especially with the focus stacking ability of the bodies. Also, with the R5's cropping ability the 16 can serve as a 16-24 zoom potentially allowing it to replace the 14-35. While my testing around here has been positive, getting the FF kit out in the real world will be the real test.

Mar 05, 2023 at 01:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

GatorRoll wrote:
It is safe to say that Canon mirrorless is out of its infancy and has developed enough that it has come into its own as a system. Technologies are now stable, appealing, and reliable, with a few exceptions (e.g., battery life), even for lower end models such as the R8. The R8 is a great statement of how far Canon has come. So if you move to FF mirrorless from DSLR today, you are no longer an early adopter. For those of you who have converted in the past year, how would you characterize your bottom-line experience? Would you do
...Show more

I had no JOY at all in the process of using the R5. For maybe the 3rd time in the last 45 years I seriously considered giving up completey. It's better now with newer firmware, but I missed quite a few opportunties (and still miss some) that would have been simple with the 1DX II or 5D IV.
In any case expect some learning curve in using the AI brain subject detection and always have a button for traditional AF mode when that fails. Unfortunately the spot and small spot AF zones are huge compared to DSLRs and there is still no cross-type AF yet. Of course if you like the flying BIFs or subjects like birds, humans, or others with bullseye eyeballs or shoot videos then the R5 is probably a great advantage.

If you are a 24MP type of user, then I'd get an R6 II and maybe a lens or two, but use as many of the older lenses as make sense. If you want the R5, maybe rent first, but one can hope the next version may bring it up to current technology. Whatever you do, don't try the Nikon Z9.

EBH

Mar 05, 2023 at 01:33 PM
snegron7
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

I went from Nikon D750 and Canon 6dmk2 (yes, both cameras at the same time) to an R6 and a Sony A7c.

The AF performance on my R6 and A7c are way better than my older dslr's. My only inconvenience now is having to use my EF lenses on my R6 via an adapter because RF lenses are way out of my budget at this time.

Between the R6 and the A7c, I prefer the R6. The R6 handles much better than the A7c.

Mar 05, 2023 at 02:58 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

EB-1 wrote:
I had no JOY at all in the process of using the R5. For maybe the 3rd time in the last 45 years I seriously considered giving up completey. It's better now with newer firmware, but I missed quite a few opportunties (and still miss some) that would have been simple with the 1DX II or 5D IV.
In any case expect some learning curve in using the AI brain subject detection and always have a button for traditional AF mode when that fails. Unfortunately the spot and small spot AF zones are huge compared to DSLRs and there is
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

snegron7 wrote:
The AF performance on my R6 and A7c are way better than my older dslr's. My only inconvenience now is having to use my EF lenses on my R6 via an adapter because RF lenses are way out of my budget at this time.

These are the reasons I'm keeping my EF kit until I'm certain the R will suit my needs. This may take a year or so. On both R bodies I have the AF-ON button set to toggle servo, i.e. tracking on and off. On the R5 the * button toggles eye tracking since that seems to help with detection of other objects. Other buttons & dials let me cycle through other AF modes since I'm not sure what will work for me yet. Everything is an experiment.

One has to pick RF lenses judiciously. Some of the non-Ls are bargains but the Ls are all quite pricey. The only reason I have the 100-500 is because I traded in a bunch of old bodies and lenses which paid for it.

Mar 05, 2023 at 04:58 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

I'm not convinced there will be replacements in time for the lenses I want such as 500/4, 180/3.5, 70-200 with tripod mount and TCs, TSE lenses, etc.

EBH

Mar 05, 2023 at 05:15 PM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

My current cameras:
1Dx and 1DxII (have had all 1D bodies prior and also 5DII and 5DIII)
I now also own an R3

Sometimes the R3 gives me fits with the AF and other times I am amazed with what it does. When I am shooting with two bodies, there is something nice and reassuring about going back to the simplicity of the 1DxII.

That being said, as I slowly get more comfortable with the complexity and customization of the R3, I am confident that I made the right move.

If I knew what I know now, I would have been tempted to wait another year or even two. The 1DxII is a great camera and I have a huge quiver of EF glass. In two years, I could likely get a deal on an R3 when the R1 or even R3II get released. Historically, I have always been one version behind camera bodies in order to save money.

Mar 05, 2023 at 05:55 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

Yes it’s worth switching now if you photograph people and/or action (sports or wildlife). Eye detection and tracking is substantially better for focus consistency allowing a greater freedom of composition, even wide open with very shallow depth of field. Action AF tracking is also much more consistent than DSLRs. I transitioned to the R6II, coming from the 1DXII. This mid-grade body gives me better AF performance in most action situations compared to the much more expensive DSLR.

There are still aspects of mirrorless that IMO are not as good as DSLRs, but those are far outweighed by the advantages.

Mar 05, 2023 at 06:12 PM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

GatorRoll wrote:
It is safe to say that Canon mirrorless is out of its infancy and has developed enough that it has come into its own as a system. Technologies are now stable, appealing, and reliable, with a few exceptions (e.g., battery life), even for lower end models such as the R8. The R8 is a great statement of how far Canon has come. So if you move to FF mirrorless from DSLR today, you are no longer an early adopter. For those of you who have converted in the past year, how would you characterize your bottom-line experience? Would you do
...Show more

I love my R6. For sports and people it rarely ever misses focus. I am amazed by the accuracy and speed at the price point. DR and ISO performance are stellar. I came from a 5d3, so if youbare coming fom a 5d4 your results will be closer.

No AFMA, super accurate focusing, frame rates previously relegated to only the 1d series...amazing.

For studio and landscape, save for DR and ISO the differences aren't as noticeable, because you aren't using the speed and AF is less of an issue.

But for people and moving things...best choice ever, for me.

Video improvements are another place to look, but I don't use video so can't really comment.

Brian

Mar 05, 2023 at 09:17 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

I'm not a new mirrorless convert, as I switched away from my DSLRs in 2010 - first to m4/3, then to Fuji, then Sony and then to Canon. While the early bodies were not as full featured or as capable, especially at capturing action, I preferred a lot about the process with mirrorless. Now that AF has caught up and surpassed DSLRs in the vast majority of situations, there's really nothing at all I miss. The biggest things for me are the stabilized viewfinder with all lenses with IBIS, the slightly more compact size, but most importantly the incredibly accurate autofocus. Lenses simply do not front or back focus. And for portraiture, Eye AF has allowed for simply exceptional accuracy, even with extremely shallow depth of field. Being able to nail the eyes with a 50mm f/1.2 or 85mm f/1.2 essentially every time is frankly amazing.

I don't think I could ever go back.

Mar 05, 2023 at 11:19 PM
GatorRoll

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

Great insights everyone… thank you. I am sold on “now” being the time. I’ll be going from the 5D mark 2 and Nikon D750 to the R6 mark 2.

Mar 05, 2023 at 11:33 PM
John Daniel
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

I have been going from 5D IV to R5 and gradually upgraded my lenses to R system (16-35->R15-35, 24-70 -> R24-70 and 70-200mm -> R70-200mm) except for the the 300mm F/2.8 L IS II that I use with the Canon EF-RF adapter. My experience in transiting was great: better performance, lighter for the 70-200mm better image at high and very high ISO. I also got the R50mm f/1.2 (pretty quick). I love everything about my new system and don’t miss anything. I mainly do landscapes and wildlife with a little portrait/city life.

JD

Mar 06, 2023 at 08:51 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

Mike_5D wrote:
I made the jump to mirrorless when the R6 came out. That's when I considered Canon's mirrorless ready to replace DSLRs. I have no regrets. Battery life is sufficient, basically requiring 2 batteries for most days vs 1. High ISO performance is much improved. I'd say my best DSLR images are as good as my best R6 images, but the R6 makes it a lot easier to get excellent results. My biggest requirement in a camera is auto-focus performance. The R6's tracking and ability to place a face anywhere in the frame instead of near the center is a game
...Show more

This basically sums up my experience as well. The AF accuracy is next level and changes the way you're able to capture images. My keeper rate jumped dramatically with the R6 vs my 5DIV.

Mar 06, 2023 at 08:55 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

I've had this conversation with a couple of people who own DSLRs wanting to know the same thing: is it worth it?

I've fully switched to mirrorless and own the top models from Canon, Sony and Nikon and shoot sports and landscape. It's not necessary to switch for landscapes; sports is a different matter with quick moving subjects (and I imagine BIF.) I'll summarize my feelings at this point having been mirrorless for two or three years: with mirrorless there are more options, *but*, you have to put more effort in, at least initially, to reap the greater benefits. *And*, it will still frustrate you. That said, when it works, it's amazing. Eye AF is something to behold when you see the little AF focus boxes find the eye and track it.

From the joy aspect, well, that is an entirely different matter. Watching all the youtube videos where people setup double and triple back button focus and program a half dozen buttons to quickly access various functions is either like flying an airplane instead of driving a car trying to remember all the settings, or a dream come true for those more technically inclined. The camera becomes more like a computer they have become so customizable. I feel myself moving away from using a camera to using a smartphone sometimes.

Specifically for me as a sports shooter, the challenge is my subject has a defender hanging all over him or her and the eye AF doesn't have a clue which one you want to shoot.
So I find myself customizing the AF box to be small enough for me to put it on my man, but not so small I miss my subject. (Yes, you can even customize the size and shape of the AF box!) To be fair to mirrorless, my eye hand coordination isn't great at my age, but looking back on my albums going from DSLR to mirrorless, you wouldn't know that I switched.

I'm still answering the question for myself. I sometimes ask myself if you had to go back to DSLRs and give up all of my mirrorless equipment how I would feel. I'd probably feel disappointed. Maybe that's the answer.

Mar 06, 2023 at 09:15 AM
fotoasart

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

I agree with dugaut ... very odd trying to get use to a "computer" camera but on the other hand, the IQ is far above my dlsr and the capability in what the mirrowless can do is pretty amazing. It's a learning curve. I will probably keep the 1DM4 for certain shoots (awesome camera and no plans to upgrade the ef lenses (I said that before).

Mar 06, 2023 at 10:55 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Experience from DSLR to Mirrorless

Thinking about it recently I thought about completely changing to mirrorless. Can't say it appeals to me.

Mar 07, 2023 at 12:53 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.