1       2       3              8      
       end

Archive 2023 · Best Camera Bag

Vento
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Best Camera Bag

berimbolo wrote:
I have a bunch of bags, each for a different use case.

Same here, life would be dull without a choice.
This is my current collection, mostly smaller to medium sizes, if I need more equipment I take the hardcases or the trolley.

- Nanuk 935 Pro Photo Kit (yellow)
- Nanuk 918 (yellow)
- Tenba Transport Air Case Attache 2520w (Trolley)
- Tenba Fulton V2 16L All Weather Backpack (Black/Black Camo)
- Tenba Fulton V2 10L All Weather Backpack (Black/Black Camo)
- Tenba Cooper Slim Backpack
- Tenba Solstice Sling 10L
- MindShift BackLight 18L Backpack
- MindShift BackLight 26L Backpack
- Gitzo Century Traveler Backpack (one of my best backpacks in terms of comfort)
- Lowe Pro Compact 35
- HM leather Photo Bag
- Nikon Messenger Bag
- Think Tank Digital Holster 150

Nov 10, 2023 at 05:27 PM
MohChee

p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Best Camera Bag

These are my small/compact setup for travel which fits under the airline seat as personal item.

Peak Design 15L Everyday Zip Backpack fits body + 200-600 + 70-200

https://i.imgur.com/WcIdoNh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mvcbKB2.jpg

Shimoda Explore v2 25 with large mirrorless core unit. Officially they state it can't fit, but it does! Just remove the top pouch then insert core unit from the top instead of the usual rear back panel.

https://i.imgur.com/bUPH0FE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/85Vijz9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xJDqRFc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/K1rj2jk.jpeg

Edited on Jan 28, 2024 at 09:52 AM · View previous versions

Jan 25, 2024 at 03:40 AM
genjy
• • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Best Camera Bag

Packed for tomorrow... will be shooting for about 5 hours:
https://i.ibb.co/B2CQCWb/IMG-9994.jpg
Pre-2020 Billingham Hadley Pro
Sony A7IV with Tamron 28-75 2.8 G2
Godox V1 and dome diffuser
Godox TT350 and bounce cards (front pocket)
Fuji X-T4 with Canon FD 135 2.8 on PD Clip
Fuji 50 F2 (under dome diffuser)
Batteries, wipes, and misc (front pocket)
Condor MOLLE dump pouch (side, folded up)

*Update* Ended up shooting for like 8 hours. Didn't really need the Fuji X-T4 after all, so things could have been much lighter. The bag was hidden away most of the 8 hours since I only had one lens for the Sony body, so there was really nothing to swap or stash during, and carrying it the whole day would have been too much for my shoulders.

Jan 26, 2024 at 08:33 PM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Best Camera Bag

Have you tried any Shimoda or Fstop bags for comparison?

tsdevine wrote:
I use NYA-EVO Fjord 36 and Fjord 60-C backpacks, quite happy with them.

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:54 PM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Best Camera Bag

How do you like the Onemo compared to the Thinktank Harddrive V2? I've hesitated on the Harddrive due to its front opening design. I much prefer rear opening for putting on dirty ground without getting the straps dirty and also for security in crowded spaces.

cantwellian wrote:
There's no such thing as the best bag, just the best bag for the job! (I tell myself this to justify how many bags I own...)

Right now I'm using the PGYTECH OneMo 25L and the ThinkTank Streetwalker HardDrive V2 as my main daily bags (for different main rigs).

I also have a ThinkTank Retrospective 30 V1 (the velcro has silencers, by the way), and a Peak Design Everyday Sling V2 10L, for when I only want to carry a little bit of gear.

And then I have a LowePro Roller X300 for when I want to carry all the gear.

Because options.

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:56 PM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Best Camera Bag

Which Osprey backpacks and which inserts do you use?

chez wrote:
Iíve tried Think Tank and Fstop and Lowepro and none that I tried out fit my needs. Iíve since switched to Osprey packs with inserts and for me it was night and day as far as comfort goes.

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:57 PM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Best Camera Bag

Everyone raves about the Shimoda bags harness and comfort but I own their X30 Action and Explore 35l V2 and find both to be very uncomfortable for some reason, regardless of adjustments. My Thinktank Urban Access 15 with its thicker straps is more comfortable.

Picture This! wrote:
The harness system is a joke. Did not carry well at all. Like the look of it but the goodness ends there I'm afraid.

Jan 28, 2024 at 11:59 PM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Best Camera Bag

Which Gura gear bags have you used?

Charlie N wrote:
gotta go with a gura gear or think tank backpack, you need utmost efficiency with your gear IMO, and those bags have thin dividers and fairly stiff.

you can probably toss out all messengers with that amount of gear, not going to cut it, and even if it does, working out of it will be a hassle.

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:00 AM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Best Camera Bag

How have you liked it?

mark1958 wrote:
I just ordered a shimoda explorer 30 V2 to add to my collection of bags. I have come close to purchasing one for years now and just decided to go for it. I have seen many posts people love or don't love these bags but more seem to really like the bag.

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:02 AM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Best Camera Bag

Which Mindshift bags have you tried?

molson wrote:
The BEST bag is always the NEXT bag...

I'm currently transitioning from Shimoda to MindShift packs. I liked the Shimoda bags when I first got them, and I was using small Sony camera and lenses. Shimoda uses a rigid metal frame around the access opening, and very stiff dividers, so larger pieces of equipment either don't fit in the bag, or are extremely difficult to remove once you lodge them in place. The MindShift bags are much more flexible in terms of positioning the dividers and also the dividers are flexible to accommodate different sizes of gear - and the
...Show more

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:03 AM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Best Camera Bag

Did you find any good hiking bags and insert combos that work well?

AZHeaven wrote:
I'm starting to look at actual hiking backpacks and adding an insert into them. At the moment that's what i'm researching. Day hiking bags are lighter, less expensive and still have waist straps, sternum straps and loadlifters.

Will that work? That's the big question. I've seen some videos on Youtube where some are using hiking backpacks. All I know is my older Lowepro Flipside 300 AWII is really uncomfortable. Even with just a camera and one small lens attached.

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:04 AM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Best Camera Bag

I have used f-stop bags for years and have no issues.

I own a bunch of ICUs (Small Pro, Medium Pro, Large Pro) and I choose them based on the kit I am taking on a given trip. I have a Loka and Tilopa in terms of bag, but usually use the Tilopa.

When flying my carry on is typically overweight, so I make sure I can remove just the ICU and have everything in there and gate check the empty bag if needed. So far this has never needed to occur, but the option is there.

If I am going on a long distance overnight / multiday hike, where I need more space or carry comfort, I would typically just put an ICU inside a dedicated hiking bagckpack.

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:06 AM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Best Camera Bag

How do you like the Mindshift Backlight 26l? How much does it carry? How is the comfort packed out?

Vento wrote:
Same here, life would be dull without a choice.
This is my current collection, mostly smaller to medium sizes, if I need more equipment I take the hardcases or the trolley.

- Nanuk 935 Pro Photo Kit (yellow)
- Nanuk 918 (yellow)
- Tenba Transport Air Case Attache 2520w (Trolley)
- Tenba Fulton V2 16L All Weather Backpack (Black/Black Camo)
- Tenba Fulton V2 10L All Weather Backpack (Black/Black Camo)
- Tenba Cooper Slim Backpack
- Tenba Solstice Sling 10L
- MindShift BackLight 18L Backpack
- MindShift BackLight 26L Backpack
- Gitzo Century Traveler Backpack (one of my best backpacks
...Show more

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:44 AM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Best Camera Bag

Do you have any hiking packs you'd recommend (+ ICU) with full clamshell opening for access to camera gear?

Aztatlan wrote:
I have used f-stop bags for years and have no issues.

I own a bunch of ICUs (Small Pro, Medium Pro, Large Pro) and I choose them based on the kit I am taking on a given trip. I have a Loka and Tilopa in terms of bag, but usually use the Tilopa.

When flying my carry on is typically overweight, so I make sure I can remove just the ICU and have everything in there and gate check the empty bag if needed. So far this has never needed to occur, but the option is there.

If I am going on
...Show more

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:46 AM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Best Camera Bag

AlphaPhotography wrote:
Do you have any hiking packs you'd recommend (+ ICU) with full clamshell opening for access to camera gear?

I do not sorry. My multiday hiking backpack is a 70-80L Osprey. I think it has front panel access, and obviously also top access. But long ago I learned that everything is a compromise and if I want to be able to comfortably carry a tent, sleeping bag, mattress, clothing, food, and other gear as well as my camera equipment, no camera bag would cut it (for me) and pure hiking bags are a trade off. My typical style is that once I reach my destination and setup camp, the hiking bag empties out and then it's basically just the ICU + spare clothes, jackets etc left. This makes it fairly easy to do shorter hikes to locations to shoot, and although not as convenient as a proper camera bag it does the job. Generally I would pack the Small Pro ICU, Medium Pro at a stretch. I have in the past used Gatekeeper straps on a larger f-stop bag (Satori, which I no longer own) and strap a tent to the bottom and a sleeping bag to the top. If you pack lean in terms of camera gear inside, you can still fit a couple of days worth of gear into the main bag itself. The trade off is comfort, so I would not recommend this for long hikes. I did this where my campsite was only 1-2 hours from the trailhead.

One thing I have done on a few hikes is I would strap an empty f-stop shell to the outside of my hiking bag. It adds weight, but it's fairly easy carrying. Once on location, just transfer the ICU to that bag and off you go. If I'm staying a while and doing a lot of shooting, that has worked well in the past.

These days with two kids, my multiday hiking trips have slowed considerably

Talking of carry weight and comfort, reminds me of a hike I did with a friend a few years ago now. He did for a time own a DJI Matrice drone, which allowed him to attach his A7RII to the gimbal. The ultimate in aerial IQ. Anyway, he was keen to get it up in the mountains for some aerials, so strapped it to his hiking bag and off we went on a fairly long hike into the mountains for a couple of nights. Good times

https://i.imgur.com/I9AcCpM.png
https://i.imgur.com/jJ6PRCj.png

Jan 29, 2024 at 05:59 AM
MohChee

p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Best Camera Bag

AlphaPhotography wrote:
Everyone raves about the Shimoda bags harness and comfort but I own their X30 Action and Explore 35l V2 and find both to be very uncomfortable for some reason, regardless of adjustments. My Thinktank Urban Access 15 with its thicker straps is more comfortable.

Most people do find Shimoda more comfortable than most camera backpacks. But, everyone is different. They're one of the very few offering adjustable torso length & straps. However, they are still no where near as comfortable as a true hiking backpack designed for heavy loads.To have that good of a harness system you have to compromise on the back panel access which a lot of camera users want.

How do you prefer carrying your bag? Shimoda Explore/Action series best comfort is when you utilize the waist/hip belt. Most of the weight is supported there. Without that all the weight is on the shoulder straps which I don't they intended by design.

If much you prefer thicker more padded straps for shoulder only carry then Shimoda do offer them. Beefier straps are called "Plus" and waist belt "HD". You have to buy them separately unless you bought the X70 model.

If the strap shape isn't working for you they also have 3x different women specific strap models. They curve differently for different body type/preference. Just because they are labelled for women doesn't mean men can't use it.

Jan 30, 2024 at 06:37 PM
AlphaPhotography
• • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Best Camera Bag

I actually own the Plus straps too. Apart from looking strange on my Explore 35l V2 I don't find that they help all that much in terms of comfort. Even though they feel more plush that padding isn't very dense (think dense memory foam) compared to my Thinktank Urban Access 15. It feels kind of like cheap old mattress topper foam that easily squashes right down. Good point about the women's straps not necessarily working only for women. I may have to give those a shot. It may just be that my body shape doesn't work that well with their design. And I think you may be right about them intending to be used with the waist strap. I bought them because I find their designs a bit nicer looking than some of my other more outdoorsy hiking style bags and had hoped I could use them without the waist belt but their straps just dig into the top of my traps very quickly. When I brought the bag to Montreal I took it on a short walk and it was so uncomfortable I had to actually turn back and switch to a different bag (I ended up using my small travel bag, a Tom Bihn Synik 22l that actually has some pretty comfy dense memory foam "edgeless" straps.

MohChee wrote:
Most people do find Shimoda more comfortable than most camera backpacks. But, everyone is different. They're one of the very few offering adjustable torso length & straps. However, they are still no where near as comfortable as a true hiking backpack designed for heavy loads.To have that good of a harness system you have to compromise on the back panel access which a lot of camera users want.

How do you prefer carrying your bag? Shimoda Explore/Action series best comfort is when you utilize the waist/hip belt. Most of the weight is supported there. Without that all the weight is
...Show more

Jan 30, 2024 at 07:25 PM
MohChee

p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Best Camera Bag

AlphaPhotography wrote:
I actually own the Plus straps too. Apart from looking strange on my Explore 35l V2 I don't find that they help all that much in terms of comfort. Even though they feel more plush that padding isn't very dense (think dense memory foam) compared to my Thinktank Urban Access 15. It feels kind of like cheap old mattress topper foam that easily squashes right down. Good point about the women's straps not necessarily working only for women. I may have to give those a shot. It may just be that my body shape doesn't work that well with their
...Show more

Because the straps on the Shimoda is modular & removable you can alternatively put another 3rd party strap of your liking on. Might need some sewing or modification but technically can work.

Perhaps the padding isn't actually your issue but the shape or flexibility of the strap. If all the weight is on the shoulder without waist strap it will dig in causing discomfort. This was my big issue with Peak Design straps being so firm/rigid. A thinner less padded but more flexible/elastic strap might be to your liking.

Jan 30, 2024 at 07:41 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Best Camera Bag

AlphaPhotography wrote:
Did you find any good hiking bags and insert combos that work well?

No matter what you choose is a big compromise
1) Shimoda - back panel and organization/ but not really so comfortable with heavy weight for many hours
2) F-stop - back panel and my personal favorite until now
3) New Osprey SOPRIS 40 with back panel https://www.osprey.com/sopris-40#color=Black
4) Mammut Trion 50 or 35 * (NOT TRION SPIN ) - back panel and Medium F-Stop ICU fits great

https://www.mammut.com/us/en/products/2520-00850-5975/trion-50

https://www.backcountry.com/mammut-trion-35l-backpack

5) OSPREY UNLTD ANTIGRAVITY 32 - no back panel but large opening, it fits 2 ICUs perfectly or 1 ICU and you will have space for other things. Amazing COMFORT . Last year I did 120 miles in Himalayas with 20-25 pounds (10 - 13 kg) of equipment and it was amazing

https://www.osprey.com/men-s-osprey-unltd-antigravity-32-unltdag32ms23-784#color=Peyto%2520Green

REMEMBER
Some hiking packs with back panel from Mammut or Osprey they are more like WinterSki Packs. They may not be that much waterproof and normally don't even come with rain cover. Very often you won't be able to attach peak design clip to a strap ( I did not find a good way to do it on my Osprey UNLTD

The true is without back panel is really much more problematic to take care of your equipment. Any time you need something you have to unpack few items. The same at airports they will tell you to remove everything ( not just open back panel / because you don't have one
... to be continued

Jan 30, 2024 at 07:55 PM
genjy
• • •
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Best Camera Bag

Packed for tomorrow. A 5-6 hour shoot.

https://i.ibb.co/9WhpYqt/IMG-0099.jpg
Billingham Hadley Pro
Sony A7IV with Tamron 28-75 2.8 G2
Sony 35 1.4 GM (under domes)
Godox V1 (main compartment)
Godox V1 (Condor MOLLE dump pouch)
Godox TT350 (front pocket)
Godox XPro II (front pocket)
Batteries, wipes, etc. (front pocket)

Also bringing my A7RIII and Sony 50 1.2 GM in a separate small sling. My partner will be using that kit.

*Update* Didn't use the 35GM at all.

Feb 02, 2024 at 08:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.