1       2      
       4              8       9       end

Archive 2023 · Best Camera Bag

TravelinBriNY
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Best Camera Bag

There is no perfect bag is right.

I still pay a lot of attention to bags waiting for someone to come out with something I would want - I noticed Deuter developed a 'Jaypack' for photographers,, but have never seen one in the store or in the wild - but here is what I have come to:

For travel involving hiking I will bring a good backpack - most new ones have panel access, which is great - with a camera insert. I will also bring a lighter, frameless pack inside which I use as a heavy stuff sack (you can find them under 2lbs easily, and often under 1lb) so I can do day trips with just my camera equipment. Zpacks has a new one with nice zipper panel access I would like to try. For walking around town with less gear and something that looks less outdoorsish, I have a Peak Design Everyday pack, which I like enough. I have the GuraGear for photography specific trips with long lenses.

Mar 04, 2023 at 11:32 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Best Camera Bag

Sounds like OP has a lot of gear and prefers a rolling bag dedicated to photo gear.

I need a backpack I can use for everyday, travel and hiking.

I recently bought a Shimoda Explore V2 25L. It is great for everyday and travel (fits under seat). Ended up also buying an Action X30 for hiking (though I might swap out for an X50)

Had a PD everyday backpack for many years. Loved the aesthetics but it was painfully uncomfortable with any full load worn for any length of time. The shimoda is so much more comfortable. I have an insert I sometimes use in a hiking backpack for day trips but I just use the shimoda now. Weighs more but is comfortable enough and love the photo functionality.

Mar 06, 2023 at 01:13 AM
jviegas
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Best Camera Bag

Received this one last week. I ordered it because of a few features like the magnet open/closing. I've used it all this weekend and I've enjoyed it quite well.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/speedtop-15

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0532/0233/products/SpeedTop-15-Sony-A7-2470f28-1635f28-50f18_2048x.jpg

Mar 06, 2023 at 04:46 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Best Camera Bag

jviegas wrote:
Received this one last week. I ordered it because of a few features like the magnet open/closing. I've used it all this weekend and I've enjoyed it quite well.

wow, there is so much to love about this bag, thanks for sharing. I'm going to get one: I like that it's silent (my main complaint with my current Peak Design messenger bag) and it opens from your body side and has a security hook for peace of mind when on busy streets where it's too easy for someone to grab the camera out of your bag. Comes with waterproof cover like pretty much all the ThinkTank bags, which is also a top criterion for me. This one checks all the boxes for me; obviously way too small for the OP's needs but I'm glad you posted it.

Mar 06, 2023 at 08:12 AM
mark1958
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Best Camera Bag

I just ordered a shimoda explorer 30 V2 to add to my collection of bags. I have come close to purchasing one for years now and just decided to go for it. I have seen many posts people love or don't love these bags but more seem to really like the bag.

Mar 06, 2023 at 11:31 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Best Camera Bag

For everyday use Billingham bags are the best for me. For hiking/travel I use a manfrotto backpack

Mar 06, 2023 at 11:46 AM
krdvg

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Best Camera Bag

I see bunch of folks experienced with all sorts of bags, can I ask a bag question What bag do you recommend for carrying two bodies and wanting to shoot with either (no lens changing etc)? I tried a backpack with two side access compartments, but two cameras laid out side to side didn't really fit well when one had a standard zoom. I guess shoulder/messenger bag is the most convenient for such case, but they just dont feel comfortable. What are the most comfortable/easy to carry for long time shoulder bags?

Mar 06, 2023 at 12:09 PM
AlexLF
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Best Camera Bag

Interestingly, I have the same need - I've been thinking about some messenger bag for 2 bodies (with grips!). But I guess it's not going to work as 2 bodies are too heavy for a messenger bag. So, my thought is to try a good backpack and toploader... Well, just a thought for now.

Mar 06, 2023 at 12:25 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Best Camera Bag

F - Stop Loka UL with Large PRO ICU ... You don't have to remove lenses all

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1499120-REG/f_stop_u150_mountain_series_loka_ul.html?sts=pi

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1499099-REG/f_stop_m231_mountain_series_pro_icu.html?sts=pi

I also use Shimoda Explorer 30l V2 with f -stop medium shallow ICU I don't like how 2 bodies with lenses fit but they do and I often use them together

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1499098-REG/f_stop_m226_mountain_series_shallow_icu.html?sts=pi

https://shimodadesigns.com/core-unit-medium-mirrorless-v2-parisian-nights/

Mar 06, 2023 at 12:35 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Best Camera Bag

The BEST bag is always the NEXT bag...

I'm currently transitioning from Shimoda to MindShift packs. I liked the Shimoda bags when I first got them, and I was using small Sony camera and lenses. Shimoda uses a rigid metal frame around the access opening, and very stiff dividers, so larger pieces of equipment either don't fit in the bag, or are extremely difficult to remove once you lodge them in place. The MindShift bags are much more flexible in terms of positioning the dividers and also the dividers are flexible to accommodate different sizes of gear - and the prices are much more reasonable.

Mar 06, 2023 at 12:39 PM
genjy
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Best Camera Bag

If depends on why you are carrying. If you use the bag as a working bag with you swapping cameras or reaching into the bag often, then you might have to just put up with a shoulder bag. If it's mainly for transport, then a backpack is fine and easier on your back and shoulders.

AlexLF wrote:
Interestingly, I have the same need - I've been thinking about some messenger bag for 2 bodies (with grips!). But I guess it's not going to work as 2 bodies are too heavy for a messenger bag. So, my thought is to try a good backpack and toploader... Well, just a thought for now.

Mar 06, 2023 at 12:41 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Best Camera Bag

If someone want to save some money today only $169 f-stop Mountain Series Ajna Backpack (Aloe Green, 40L)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1499086-REG/f_stop_m125_71_mountain_series_ajna_day.html

Mar 06, 2023 at 01:14 PM
AlexLF
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Best Camera Bag

genjy wrote:
If depends on why you are carrying. If you use the bag as a working bag with you swapping cameras or reaching into the bag often, then you might have to just put up with a shoulder bag. If it's mainly for transport, then a backpack is fine and easier on your back and shoulders.

Well, I need it for a daily trip. Like, for example, I'm exploring a new place or shooting on a concert. When you need to switch cameras all the time.

Mar 06, 2023 at 02:43 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Best Camera Bag

I have this bag and if I am going on a long hike this is the one I use. Comfortable. A bit big for like a short day trip and not too much gear though. Great deal right now

PIOK wrote:
If someone want to save some money today only $169 f-stop Mountain Series Ajna Backpack (Aloe Green, 40L)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1499086-REG/f_stop_m125_71_mountain_series_ajna_day.html

Mar 06, 2023 at 04:33 PM
AZHeaven
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Best Camera Bag

I'm starting to look at actual hiking backpacks and adding an insert into them. At the moment that's what i'm researching. Day hiking bags are lighter, less expensive and still have waist straps, sternum straps and loadlifters.

Will that work? That's the big question. I've seen some videos on Youtube where some are using hiking backpacks. All I know is my older Lowepro Flipside 300 AWII is really uncomfortable. Even with just a camera and one small lens attached.

Mar 07, 2023 at 09:39 AM
PIOK
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Best Camera Bag

AZHeaven wrote:
I'm starting to look at actual hiking backpacks and adding an insert into them. At the moment that's what i'm researching. Day hiking bags are lighter, less expensive and still have waist straps, sternum straps and loadlifters.

Will that work? That's the big question.

This is exactly what I decided to try right now..... I should get this backpack in few days and I will try with some ICU's I have.
Top loaders are not my fav choice but I decided to give it a try.

Top of the line, best materials available at this moment in backpacking industry... at the price of regular photography bags

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/men-s-osprey-unltd-antigravity-32-UNLTDAG32MS23_784.html

Mar 07, 2023 at 10:14 AM
Filterman

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Best Camera Bag

I also have a sling bag like Guy. I'm 81 and am still in decent health and I find the sling bag 13 made it very easy for me when I hike. I will be going to the Badlands in Sep and the ThinkTank 13 will be my main bag for hiking. If you get one I am sure you will really like it.

Jim A.

Mar 07, 2023 at 11:18 AM
goo0h
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Best Camera Bag

I don't carry as much as OP. Having said that, I've become a fan of Wotancraft (www.wotancraft.tw). Especially of the Pilot series. I have both the 7L and the 10L. I tend to use the 10L for travel, which I've used to carry 1-2 Sony bodies and 2-3 lenses (not big ones.)

There are two basic forms of bags, I've learned over the years:

1) Those that fit close to the body, are non-rigid, and can be lighter. The Pilot series is like that. They tend to be really comfortable to carry all day. However, note: working out of them can be a challenge because of the soft, non-rigid form. If you don't over-pack such bags, they're great. Try to stuff too much into it, then it's a real chore getting anything out. On the upside, I've often been allowed to carry my camera bags into areas that typically force checking-in of your bigger bags. (They often look puzzled at me and don't know what to say. )

2) Then there are the more rigid, more squarish bags. These can be easier to work out of for sure. The downsides: they really do look more like camera bags, they stick out awkwardly from the body. The vast majority of camera shoulder bags fit into this category.

The ThinkTank Retrospective try to fit into both categories, but mostly is in the second one. I found the Retrospective line to be much heavier than the corresponding sized Wotancraft, which was important to me.

(well, that pic was much larger than I wanted it to be. sigh.)

Mar 07, 2023 at 12:18 PM
lensfan
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Best Camera Bag

Lowepro Pro Messenger 180 AW is my all time favorite. Cannot find anything to substitute it.

Great ergonomics. Super durable and reliable. Lots of space.

Today I try to stick to Billingham Hadley Small Pro but it is more of a toy than a travel-a-dozen-countries bag.

P.S. Made a mistake earlier. I meant 180 AW instead of 160 AW. This bag has been with me for 10 years - already forgot its name.

Edited on Mar 08, 2023 at 09:45 AM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2023 at 10:34 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Best Camera Bag

lensfan wrote:
Lowepro Pro Messenger 160 AW is my all time favorite. Cannot find anything to substitute it.

Great ergonomics. Super durable and reliable. Lots of space.

Today I try to stick to Billingham Hadley Small Pro but it is more of a toy than a travel-a-dozen-countries bag.

I just picked up a Lowepro Pro Messenger 200AW and it's really growing on me, although yet to surpass some of my veteran Think Tank bags overall. Having had multiple Bilinghams in the past I admire those bags but never rated them as decent photo bags. Too clunky and too heavy, IMO (and also too expensive).

Mar 07, 2023 at 11:03 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.