FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              8       9       end

Archive 2023 · Best Camera Bag

bjhurley
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best Camera Bag

KarmaKramer wrote:
The only thing I dont like about the Think tank Retrospectives is the tearing velcro to open and close them. Eeeeeeesh, I hate that sound. I prefer a clip over velcro.

It's funny, that horrible magnetic latch on the Peak Design messenger bag-style camera bags is a near dealbreaker for me; velcro is bad but this is worse. The Peak Design bag jingles every time I open it, and it's too easy to pop open; there's a "quick access" zipper on the top but it's impractical as you need two hands to open it wide enough to get your camera out. I've gone back to my previous bag, which is an actual waterproof messenger bag with velcro and buckles, with a custom camera insert.

Mar 03, 2023 at 01:19 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best Camera Bag

genjy wrote:
I am not a street or landscape photographer, so bag weight and portability aren't that important to me. I pack gear for myself and my partner, so I have big bags.

I am into vintage Tamrac bags (the Made in Van Nuys ones with the old logo). Professional quality enough and no one wants them, so I have a couple huge ones I got used from eBay. I replaced their straps with Domke straps. They are low key stylish camera bags if retro is your thing.

I also like Domke canvas bags... I have a couple large ones and a rare-ish backpack.
...Show more

I also have a thing for old bags and bags that are easy to work out of run-n-gun PJ style. Recent Ebay purchases have included a Think Tank Sling-o-Matic 10 which I can swing around to the front, lengthen the strap, and I basically have a big box to use as a platform for working (TT doesn't make bags like they used to). Also bought a Lowepro Pro Messenger 200AW, which while a bit floppy to get stuff in and out of while wearing, is perfect worn around the front as a rest for a heavy camera, and I just got a Domke Metro Messenger, which is huge and weirdly shaped, but I'm still evaluating. All are bags that were discontinued about a decade ago AFAIK, yet all far more appealing to me than any modern bag.

My first "proper" bag back in the 1990s was a Domke (F2), closely followed by a J2, but I find their F-series a bit too squishy these days, especially with the floppy inserts. I also hate that they still use metal clips. Apart from being awkward to open, having bits of metal swinging around near a camera makes me nervous.

Mar 03, 2023 at 01:28 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best Camera Bag

Of all the camera bags I own/tried my current Shimoda Explore V2 is easily my favorite one.
I love it. Not just because it's practical, but it's the most comfortable of all I tried. The metal frame inside the back really makes a difference. It's like a hiking/camera bag hybrid.

Mar 03, 2023 at 01:47 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best Camera Bag

I use NYA-EVO Fjord 36 and Fjord 60-C backpacks, quite happy with them.

Mar 03, 2023 at 01:49 PM
Zayne12
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best Camera Bag

I am guilty of going through many bags. My first was an Incase with a camera insert in the rear. That was bought in 2011 and was nice but now it has rips in the stitches and the zippers have becomes even harder to open and close. Went through 2 manfroto bags one of which I still have but is a bit too small for my needs. I then went to the 21L wndrd prvke and while the material was very nice the camera insert didn't fit my camera and lenses and I'm not a fan of bigger bags I like small and discrete more. I then went for the moment 6L sling and that was amazing I especially liked the magnetic clip to keep the sling from turning over when hiking around, unfortunately I sold. I also have the pd everyday backpack was wasn't I pressed by ut and sold it off. I also got their 5L sling which I bought off guy but it was uncomfortable for me so I gave it to my wife. Which brings us to where I am at now. First I got the think tank retrospective slings and while it's nice and fits my gear it really pained my should due to the lack of padding and so off it went. I the. Picked up the Think Tank Photo Retrospective Backpack 15L and that has been with me for over the year. Was it expensive yes. But it fits what I need it to fit while also being comfortable. My only gripe like others have mention on here is the top Velcro which can be disabled which is nice. I also picked up a f stop Brooklyn sling and that has a very wide and comfortable strap and I can fit my Sony 70-200 along with a body and gm prime attatched along with another gm prime or 24-70 zoom and have room for other stuff in the zipper. And that is where I stand at today with my bags, I refuse to get counseling I don't have issues.

Mar 03, 2023 at 01:59 PM
cantwellian
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best Camera Bag

There's no such thing as the best bag, just the best bag for the job! (I tell myself this to justify how many bags I own...)

Right now I'm using the PGYTECH OneMo 25L and the ThinkTank Streetwalker HardDrive V2 as my main daily bags (for different main rigs).

I also have a ThinkTank Retrospective 30 V1 (the velcro has silencers, by the way), and a Peak Design Everyday Sling V2 10L, for when I only want to carry a little bit of gear.

And then I have a LowePro Roller X300 for when I want to carry all the gear.

Because options.

Mar 03, 2023 at 02:30 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Best Camera Bag

Ive gone through several bags. I have to say you have a lot of gear, and my back is starting to hurt thinking of all the weight

I have a Sony A7rIV, 70-200GMII, 200-600, 24-70 and a few other things, and I have the Wandrd Fernweh pack, which so far i really like. You would need to buy like an F-STOP ICU for all your gear to fit into the main compartment, as Wandrd's ICUs aren't that huge and kind of an interesting layout.

Here is the pack I have. Gonna use it on a 40 mile hike through Buckskin Gulch in a few weeks.

Before I bought this one, I tried the Atlas, Thinktank and Mindshift ones. They might be more geared for what you are looking for, as they are mainly for transportation, not for trekking.

Mar 03, 2023 at 04:21 PM
Timkr
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Best Camera Bag

I have multiple f-stop, mindshift, gura gear, and think tank bags but, every time I travel I find myself taking my pelican 1535 air and gura gear bataflae 22 or 26.

Mar 03, 2023 at 07:10 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Best Camera Bag

There is no perfect bag. For those of you old enough to remember Felix the Cats" bag of tricks. Basically a bag that can do anything...
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5493o8

Seriously though--- I have multiple bags-- Gura, many think tanks, 2x F stops and misc.. Each has plus and minuses and currently I would say I use the THinktank streetwalker v2 most often. Carries a lot of stuff for its size. It is just not that comfortable.
Thinking seriously of trying shimoda..

Mar 03, 2023 at 07:43 PM
pjheller
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Best Camera Bag

When it comes to bags, I'm still a Domke loyalist. Even though the F2 has a harder time holding a couple of DSLRs and lenses, it's still great to work out. Durable and nearly indestructible after years of use.

When I've gone overseas, I loaded up a Domke F1-X (the little bit bigger bag) and stuffed the F2 bag in a suitcase to use once I arrived at my destination. Also have used the Domke F3 when I can get buy with a minimal amount of gear.

I have TT Airport and International rollers but they don't get much use. They weigh too much (empty), so when packed with gear, often won't meet carry-on weight limits on overseas flights. Also tried a TT Streetwalker (I think that was the one) but I felt like I was going to fall over backwards when it was packed and on my back.

Mar 03, 2023 at 08:39 PM
mike_the_kraken
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Best Camera Bag

Iíve had a Vanguard Alta Sky 45D backpack for years and itís served me well. Top and side-access, 100% customizable interior, and built to last. Iíve even strapped my 200-600 (in a case) to the outside. Iíve flown all over with it, camped, hiked, you name it. The bag is still in superb shape.

That said, I donít always need that much gear - so I often travel with a smaller kit in a Tenba DNA 9. Itís a small messenger, but Iím able to fit a body + 3 lenses with a few other things in there.

Whatís the best bag? The simple answer: The one you use the most.

https://www.vanguardworld.com/collections/photography-bags/products/alta-sky-45d
https://tenba.com/dna-9-messenger-bag-black/

Mar 03, 2023 at 08:40 PM
genjy
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Best Camera Bag

I have a Domke F-4AF... which is a slightly bigger F-3 with removable inserts. It comes with two simple inserts that are perfect for plopping in two mirrorless FF bodies with primes attached. So fast so convenient. Sometimes 2 bodies and 2 lenses are all I need. The side pockets are great for batteries and flashes too!

pjheller wrote:
When it comes to bags, I'm still a Domke loyalist. Even though the F2 has a harder time holding a couple of DSLRs and lenses, it's still great to work out. Durable and nearly indestructible after years of use.

When I've gone overseas, I loaded up a Domke F1-X (the little bit bigger bag) and stuffed the F2 bag in a suitcase to use once I arrived at my destination. Also have used the Domke F3 when I can get buy with a minimal amount of gear.

I have TT Airport and International rollers but they don't get much use. They
...Show more

Mar 03, 2023 at 09:29 PM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Best Camera Bag

gotta go with a gura gear or think tank backpack, you need utmost efficiency with your gear IMO, and those bags have thin dividers and fairly stiff.

you can probably toss out all messengers with that amount of gear, not going to cut it, and even if it does, working out of it will be a hassle.

Mar 03, 2023 at 09:35 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Best Camera Bag

I went to SE Asia for 12 days -- some for work and some for fun and photography.
I don't like to check my luggage and I purchased the THinktank Shapeshifter 15. I love all the pockets but sometimes I forgot where I put what. However I was able to travel with my A7RV,Sony 24-70/f2.8 GMII, Sony 70-200mm/2.8 II, Sony 12-24 f4. 15 inch Apple laptop, all my cords and accessories and then clothing in a separate carryon and did not have to check either bag even on internal SE airline flights. It was not the most comfortable to wear-- pulled on shoulders but it did the trick.

Edited on Mar 03, 2023 at 09:46 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2023 at 09:43 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Best Camera Bag

Iíve tried Think Tank and Fstop and Lowepro and none that I tried out fit my needs. Iíve since switched to Osprey packs with inserts and for me it was night and day as far as comfort goes.

Mar 03, 2023 at 09:43 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Best Camera Bag

I was able to check out the Think Tank Airport Security 3.0 at the local camera store, wow. Definitely
would fit all my needs, easily. $450, but might be well worth it after I sell my international 2.0.
I have an Airport Essentials for travel. Fits what I need for simplified jobs, and fits in overheads of all airlines.

Mar 04, 2023 at 09:08 AM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Best Camera Bag

hey Dustin, do let us know how you like it once you get some hiking time with the bag.
I did look at this bag but a couple of things turned me away from it. If I'm not mistaken the bag does not have a frame. So I'm curious to hear if its comfortable when you have to carry it for a period of time. The straps look beefy and comfortable but no frame.
Lack of two side pockets (I carry a waterbottle and tripod on hikes) and would have had to use the big side pocket for the tripod which means the water bottle has to go into the front compartment. Some people strap their tripods without a pouch at the base and I dont like that.
Also it seems like unzipping the top and back panel access is a bit of a challenge because the fabric gets in the way but I'm not sure.

In the end I went with the mystery ranch bridger. It does not have back panel access but a secure front panel access. Its super comfortable and carries everything I've put in it very well.

Dustin Gent wrote:
Ive gone through several bags. I have to say you have a lot of gear, and my back is starting to hurt thinking of all the weight

I have a Sony A7rIV, 70-200GMII, 200-600, 24-70 and a few other things, and I have the Wandrd Fernweh pack, which so far i really like. You would need to buy like an F-STOP ICU for all your gear to fit into the main compartment, as Wandrd's ICUs aren't that huge and kind of an interesting layout.

Here is the pack I have. Gonna use it on a 40 mile hike through
...Show more

Mar 04, 2023 at 12:28 PM
patotts
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Best Camera Bag

Shimoda.

Mar 04, 2023 at 03:27 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Best Camera Bag

The harness system is a joke. Did not carry well at all. Like the look of it but the goodness ends there I'm afraid.

patotts wrote:
Shimoda.

Mar 04, 2023 at 09:15 PM
zxrander1

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Best Camera Bag

Peak design 6l for carry on and keep lights and lens separate. Low pro 350 for other stuff

Mar 04, 2023 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.