Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Recommendation for a Indoor Strobes/Monolights

nygfan44
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommendation for a Indoor Strobes/Monolights

Hello. I am looking to purchase a monolight/strobe setup for indoor sports and also portraiture. I am reading up on them, as much as I can. I did do a search here but, didn't come away with very much. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. FYI...my budget is in the $600.00 range (US). Thanks in advance!

Mar 02, 2023 at 12:30 PM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommendation for a Indoor Strobes/Monolights

For that budget, I would say that speedlights are your best option.

If you are just getting into sports shooting, I would also highly recommend finding out the rules regarding using strobes for photography in your area (and for each sport and venue). I have been shut down many times from the high school to college D1 level.
Good luck

Mar 02, 2023 at 02:50 PM
JRobertson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommendation for a Indoor Strobes/Monolights

For portraiture sure, for sports, no go. Strobes are no longer needed, cameras have come a very long way. There aren't many, if any, places that you can strobe anymore.

With that budget, 2x AD200Pros is the only way to go.

Mar 03, 2023 at 07:13 AM
carl_g
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommendation for a Indoor Strobes/Monolights

For portraits, you might be able to find a pair of used alien bees in the for sale section here for that budget.

Mar 03, 2023 at 11:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

bipock
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommendation for a Indoor Strobes/Monolights

Sports are likely a no go with strobes. For portraits, you could look at the Adorama Flashpoint series. If you can plug in, you can go with cheaper strobes.

Mar 04, 2023 at 06:49 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommendation for a Indoor Strobes/Monolights

I do shoot with a Godox AD400 pro in ALL of my LIVE races and events...my races and events aren't national level. Often time, is in the woods or very early morning in city parts. Space and spots aren't issues for me. For more run and gun stuff, speedlite..which I rarely, rarely use now...

And I use hyper sync on my AD400 pro. If you don't know what hyper sync is or why or how? Maybe you should do more research...

Mar 06, 2023 at 01:46 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommendation for a Indoor Strobes/Monolights

bipock wrote:
Sports are likely a no go with strobes. For portraits, you could look at the Adorama Flashpoint series. If you can plug in, you can go with cheaper strobes.

Depends on the sports, the location, the crowd size, and if you understand how to use hyper sync with good recycle time. I mainly use my Godox AD400 pro for my events...LIVE triathlon, duathlon, running, MTB races, and USAC crits....

From this past Sat...AD400pro on my right side....

Last year gravel race...

Mar 06, 2023 at 01:52 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.