FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2023 · Motorsports Photography Help

osv2
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Motorsports Photography Help

ribull wrote:
This is what I was looking for when I originally asked my question, but after doing a fair amount of looking I couldn't really find anything like that, so I figured it would be good to ask those who would likely know. It's unfortunate because otherwise it feels like a very closed system. If you can't gain experience without stepping on other people's toes, you're just locked out completely whether you're an aspiring professional, or like me literally just want to take some cool photos in some cool locations. I didn't mean to start a big conversation but I suppose
...Show more

your request was reasonable, it just got derailed by the usual bad attitudes that we see out here.

for the long beach indycar event you can buy a super photo ticket that gives you a 30-minute rotation at select spots on the track... probably best to do it for the practice sessions due to the crowds, and if it was me i'd be looking for the drift cars, it's a lot more fun.

Mar 08, 2023 at 11:04 AM
wgulker
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Motorsports Photography Help

rscheffler wrote:
Bully for you! Clearly your 'clients' are benefitting from your generosity. The quality of your photography is an immense bargain for the entities you're subsidizing with your donated time and work. I'm curious if your passion for motorsports, and I'm guessing therefore cars in general, meant you waived remuneration when working for General Motors and Ford in your day jobs?

You can say whatever you want, but to me it sounds like entitlement. The benefit of financial means, the time and the inclination to donate work for the sheer self-gratification of being at the track, without apparently respecting that for
...Show more

If other people were able and willing to perform my job for free, I would train myself to perform another in-demand job. I have worked hard to stay relevant in my field and have never taken my job for granite. Many people in my industry have not stayed relevant enough and have been replaced with lower cost workers in other parts of the world. There is no such thing as an entitled job in my industry. You either have an in-demand unique skill or you are gone.

I have the utmost respect for the working pros at the racetracks. They are hard-working amazing content creators (photography, video, writing articles, YouTubers, blogs, etc.) that work long hours. There is no risk that a non-pro will take their jobs. When I shoot for a client, the client doesn't need much in terms of content and the payment I receive in the form of access is worth the limited "work" I need to complete.

Mar 09, 2023 at 06:02 PM
BrewCol
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Motorsports Photography Help

Another avenue for the OP. If you are have a local short track (dirt of paved) try to get in there. However most every track already has a track photographer and the money they make is usually to supplement their income for children's college or weddings or if they are lucky for GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). Another thing to consider for the track photographer gig is that in most cases the tracks and the racers usually really like "their guy (or gal)" and will protect them. Reason? The track photographer is there every race during the season, takes all the VL pics, people pics and presuming they stay around for a while will probably get a few weddings and senior portrait gigs out of it too. But you have to be willing to put in a lot of sweaty late Saturday nights and long time editing Sunday at that level. If you can do this you might get to be known as more than a photographer wanting to get a few shots for their portfolio.

Mar 10, 2023 at 12:54 PM
MikeW2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Motorsports Photography Help

This is a crazy thread. You can't have access to an event just because you want to get some photos for whatever reason.

I'd love to shoot the NHL playoffs. "Hey buddy, can I get a turn at that hole in the glass? How about the suicide box, can I squeeze in there?" Ha!

Where I am, you can't get on the sidelines of a regular season high school football game unless you're working.

Apr 03, 2023 at 11:49 PM
henry albert
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Motorsports Photography Help

MikeW2 wrote:
This is a crazy thread. You can't have access to an event just because you want to get some photos for whatever reason.

I'd love to shoot the NHL playoffs. "Hey buddy, can I get a turn at that hole in the glass? How about the suicide box, can I squeeze in there?" Ha!

Where I am, you can't get on the sidelines of a regular season high school football game unless you're working.

You can sneak on the field in some stadiums/towns. But you'll regret it if some D1 recruit steps on your 400 and blows out a knee and you don't have insurance. Same for standing under a basket.

As for the suicide box, I'd kill to watch a Stanley Cup there. Think I'd borrow some goalie gear, though.

Apr 08, 2023 at 04:50 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.