Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              23      
       25              50       51       end

Archive 2023 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

suteetat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.24 #1 · p.24 #1 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

1bwana1 wrote:
Hercules was the strongest man on Earth in his day. I hope that it doesn't require great strength to lifth the Z8....

Ha ha ha.. you are guarantee to at least have a nice Hercules' bicep if you stay in Nikon's camp

Mar 29, 2023 at 08:46 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.24 #2 · p.24 #2 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

arbitrage wrote:
I just wanted to try the Z9 again on latest FW. Customization has improved. Still not exactly how I'd like it but I think good enough after spending a couple hours with it today.

My motivation is the super telephotos with built in TCs. They are dream lenses for me (could only be better if they were both much shorter PF optics). I want to see if the Z9 can at least match the A1 now with latest FW. Then that will give me more info for the future if I decide to totally ditch Sony for the Nikon 600/4 TC.

For
...Show more

Well Steve Perry owns both cameras and his conclusion, both equally good with slight pros and cons for each.

I trust Steve's word over most people's.

Mar 30, 2023 at 05:51 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.24 #3 · p.24 #3 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Well Steve Perry owns both cameras and his conclusion, both equally good with slight pros and cons for each.

I trust Steve's word over most people's.

For Steve's subject matter I'd probably agree with his conclusion. But for what I just shot this past weekend I don't agree at all. Night and day still unfortunately.

Mar 30, 2023 at 08:13 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.24 #4 · p.24 #4 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I think we can trust both Steve Perry and Geoff to tell us the truth about their experiences with both cameras. Just remember that each generaly shoots different subjects in different environments, and with different styles. So for them to come to different conclusions is not unreasonable.

Mar 30, 2023 at 08:24 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.24 #5 · p.24 #5 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

I think we can trust both Steve Perry and Geoff to tell us the truth about their experiences with both cameras. Just remember that each generaly shoots different subjects in different environments, and with different styles. So for them to come to different conclusions is not unreasonable.

Mar 30, 2023 at 08:25 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.24 #6 · p.24 #6 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

arbitrage wrote:
For Steve's subject matter I'd probably agree with his conclusion. But for what I just shot this past weekend I don't agree at all. Night and day still unfortunately.

Maybe it's time to stop searching for the Unicorn, as it seems like the A1 is the unicorn you've been seeking and always had. Your niche is pretty narrow, and your benchmark is quite extreme... flying swallows & swifts are probably the most challenging subject a bird photographer can shoot. If the A1 meets your needs, then you should stick with it.
Based on Nikon's pace of tech innovation (one that is slower than Sony or Canon), Sony will likely innovate a smaller lens solution (similar to Nikon) before Nikon produces a camera with the AF and FPS specs that already exists in your camera bag.

Interestingly, I am contemplating a completely different system to complement my Nikon gear,... but it is in the exact opposite direction you are going. I am considering on a camera with crappy AF but unique file rendering as a way to slow my process down... In a world where Ai is about to outproduce the best of reality, we each need to find a way to fill our bucket to make something unique and personally fulfilling.

bruce

Edited on Mar 30, 2023 at 02:05 PM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2023 at 08:27 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.24 #7 · p.24 #7 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

OwlsEyes wrote:
Maybe it's time to stop searching for the Unicorn, as it seems like the A1 is the unicorn you've been seeking and always had. Your niche is pretty narrow, and your benchmark is quite extreme... flying swallows & swifts are probably the most challenging subject a bird photographer can shoot. If the A1 meets your needs, then you should stick with it.
Based on Nikon's pace of tech innovation (one that is slower than Sony or Canon), Sony will likely innovate a smaller lens solution (similar to Nikon) before Nikon produces a camera with the AF and FPS specs that
...Show more

Sony hasn't released a new wildlife lens since June 2019 and there isn't a single hint of a rumour even from the overly optimistic SAR site. So I don't think Sony will have anything to match Nikon's wildlife lenses for a long time, if ever. I think they may eventually do a built in TC but I don't even have much hope for that.

At this point in time I either chase my preferred glass or chase my preferred body. Unfortunately they aren't in the same ecosystem and the adapters only work to pair up my 2nd choices from each category

Mar 30, 2023 at 08:47 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.24 #8 · p.24 #8 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

1bwana1 wrote:

I thought Geoff was asking a question, not that he had reached a conclusion. I was merely pointing out Steve's opinion based on actually owning and extensively using both cameras over the last 12 months. Geoff said he had only used the Z9 for a few hours based on fw 3.1 and was trying to decide.

The only possibly interesting lens I've heard rumoured at all coming from Sony is a 150-400 f/4 possibly with built-in 1.4x TC. There is the 300 f/2.8 confirmed finally in 12 months, but will it come with a 1.4x TC built-in like Canon is apparently doing with their 300

I've given up on them ever delivering anything like a 500 f/4 let alone PF lenses and something like a 400 f/4.5.

Still in Australia Sony gear on average is much cheaper. Nikon Australia is more like Canon in lens pricing, mostly ridiculous but for some reason the 400 f/4.5 and 800 f/6.3 are not too bad at all. I purchased a 400 f/4.5 on sale and it was almost same price as the 100-400 S usual retail price!

I'm sticking with Sony until I at least see what the A1 mk II brings and because I have a fair bit of their glass that I would never swap for Nikon versions.

Mar 30, 2023 at 09:05 AM
ChrisMak
• • •
p.24 #9 · p.24 #9 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

arbitrage wrote:
Sony hasn't released a new wildlife lens since June 2019 and there isn't a single hint of a rumour even from the overly optimistic SAR site. So I don't think Sony will have anything to match Nikon's wildlife lenses for a long time, if ever. I think they may eventually do a built in TC but I don't even have much hope for that.

At this point in time I either chase my preferred glass or chase my preferred body. Unfortunately they aren't in the same ecosystem and the adapters only work to pair up my 2nd choices from each category

Interesting to hear about your experiences with the Z9.
The Sony A1 is very straightforward to use AF wise, and due to the customization options and easy, one button recall of an extensive set of settings, it can easily and instanteneously switch from slowish perched bird shooting to fast birds in flight shooting. That has been a real revelation and I can imagine you would desire that from any flagship body.
But I am not looking across the fence really, I have adopted to shooting everything with the A1 and never think about another body any longer, not even an A1mkII.

I agree with you though that Sony is dormant in the long lens department, and I have made reluctant peace with the size and weight of the 600GM, simply because I will be stuck with it for the rest of the decade probably, knowing Sony, envying all the hot long lenses that Nikon users get thrown.
It is a very sweet predicament though, and I recently added the 1.4TC to find that it is by far the best TC shooting I have experienced. It is just not built in for use with a flick of the thumb....

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:13 AM
Alistair1
• • •
p.24 #10 · p.24 #10 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

arbitrage wrote:

From my experience of A1 with 200-600 vs Z9 with 400/4.5, I do agree the the A1 AF still has the edge, but I would not describe it as night and day. This shooting Swallows and Terns. I decided not to go forward with the Sony kit and will patiently wait for a Nikon 800mm. If I was prepared to spend and carry big lenses then it may have been different, I simply don't know. Familiarity and comfort has a big impact on system preference IME.

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:19 PM
groob
• • •
p.24 #11 · p.24 #11 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

Interesting to know where the differences lie nowadays between the Z9 and A1. I don’t particularly care that shooting swallows is easier on an A1. To the extent I ever try that, it’s for a couple weeks in the summer. But I am curious for a firsthand account of the difference when shooting something like a bufflehead in flight. It’s larger and less erratic but is also a speeding bullet. I’d love to know how the Z9 compares to the A1 for birds like that.

Mar 30, 2023 at 03:12 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.24 #12 · p.24 #12 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

groob wrote:
Interesting to know where the differences lie nowadays between the Z9 and A1. I don’t particularly care that shooting swallows is easier on an A1. To the extent I ever try that, it’s for a couple weeks in the summer. But I am curious for a firsthand account of the difference when shooting something like a bufflehead in flight. It’s larger and less erratic but is also a speeding bullet. I’d love to know how the Z9 compares to the A1 for birds like that.

I will likely be aiming the Z9 at my buffleheads this weekend but weather may not cooperate. I don't think the Z9 will have any problem with buffleheads or any ducks in flight. Even on 1.0 FW it didn't have issue with those subjects. I've been shooting 10s of 1000s of buffleheads over the past 2 years with the A1 so that will be an easy comparison to do.

Mar 30, 2023 at 08:30 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.24 #13 · p.24 #13 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

Just to give a bit of background, I understand that there may be some corner use cases such as swallows where the a1 is still better... but shooting people recently I find the Z9 to be at least as good as the a1 in terms of eye AF tracking, accuracy of focus on the pupil, number of tack sharp images.

Reading this forum I sometimes have the feeling that small birds shooting has become the measuring stick for AF... but I think it is a pretty minor application all things considered.

Mar 30, 2023 at 08:49 PM
jwolfe
• • •
p.24 #14 · p.24 #14 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

Yes yes all true. But the Z9 is still enormous and the only body Nikon has. So this is the year to prove it. Can they build a full system? True Sony is lagging in long lenses, but the ones they have are great. And if you aren’t shooting birds or sports there is an endless array of lens options. Which is honestly more of the market.

Nikon would need to offer a killer set of bodies plus something to match the 500mm pf in native glass for me to come back. I’m done with adapting. But I’m really hopeful that in a year or two that’s the case. But time will tell.

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:04 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.24 #15 · p.24 #15 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

Currently Nikon doesn't make a single camera body I would buy at any price. The Z9 form factor eliminates it completely. All of the othe Nikon bodies lag the industry by a sizable margin.

A few unique long lenses cannot overcome such a big deficits in bodies for me. Judging by sales and market share numbers I am far from unique in this position. The upcoming release of the Z8 and Gen III.

The Z8 is a very important release for Nikon. I hope it is not too big.

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:17 PM
lukemeup
• • • •
p.24 #16 · p.24 #16 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

1bwana1 wrote:
The Z8 is a very important release for Nikon. I hope it is not too big.

You're not going to buy it anyway, so what's the point of all those posts over the last couple years? It's like you're torturing yourself.

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:24 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.24 #17 · p.24 #17 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

I just spent today making money at work with a Z9 and Z7II with a fully native kit. How does Nikon not have a full system?
jwolfe wrote:
Yes yes all true. But the Z9 is still enormous and the only body Nikon has. So this is the year to prove it. Can they build a full system? True Sony is lagging in long lenses, but the ones they have are great. And if you aren’t shooting birds or sports there is an endless array of lens options. Which is honestly more of the market.

Nikon would need to offer a killer set of bodies plus something to match the 500mm pf in native glass for me to come back. I’m done with adapting. But I’m really hopeful
...Show more

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:36 PM
jwolfe
• • •
p.24 #18 · p.24 #18 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

Well they have exactly one camera with a stacked sensor and one camera that can compete with Canon and Sony on AF. So you tell me.

JadedWriter wrote:
I just spent today making money at work with a Z9 and Z7II with a fully native kit. How does Nikon not have a full system?

Mar 30, 2023 at 10:58 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • • •
p.24 #19 · p.24 #19 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

Why are we all of a sudden pretending that the majority of Sony shooters are shooting on stacked bodies? Those are niche cameras. Most creators and pros have been using A7iii and now A7iv bodies for many years.

Old guys with too much money shooting birds for fun is certainly a market, and Nikon is certainly excelling in that market right now. But it’s not THE market.

jwolfe wrote:
Well they have exactly one camera with a stacked sensor and one camera that can compete with Canon and Sony on AF. So you tell me.

Edited on Mar 30, 2023 at 11:05 PM · View previous versions

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:03 PM
JadedWriter
• • • •
p.24 #20 · p.24 #20 · Latest Nikon Rumors - March 25th!

You're literally goal post moving. Why does a manufacturer need nothing but stacked sensor cameras to have a complete system? At this point with that metric Canon's up craps creek too then since they only have one stacked sensor camera.
jwolfe wrote:

Mar 30, 2023 at 11:04 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.