Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Indoor Sports - Next Step

JayRooney

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Indoor Sports - Next Step

Hey all, first post...

I am a sports photographer in the North Atlanta area, do a lot of freelance work for local paper covering High School sports. I am using 2 Canon 1D Mark IVs with Canon 400 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and Sigma 130 1.8 for my sports work. My outdoor product is pretty good however, indoor - mainly basketball, is not up to my standards - still too much grain.

I know my Mark IVs are a little old, however, I don't want to drop $5-6K on a new body to capture the image I want at lower ISO/reduced grain.

Any Canon body upgrades you suggest - used on a $1500 budget?

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:26 AM
rdalrt
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Indoor Sports - Next Step

Hey there, welcome to FM.

First off, what ISO's are you shooting at? What is your workflow/post processing? Can you post some examples here?

I was always fine with my 1D IV up to 6400-8000 as long as I could get proper exposure (ETTR) and with a bit of noise reduction in post (especially for newsprint/social media).

Does your upgrade budget include selling the 1D IV's or keeping them? With $1500 you are getting into 1DX II territory. Or with a bit more (sell a 1D IV) you could move into mirrorless with an R6. I can't speak to an R7 or R8 as I have no experience with them.

Or another option I would consider is, sell one of your 1D's and with your budget grab two original 1DX bodies and start using the other 1D IV for a remote camera. As a sports guy, I like using remotes whenever I can. Hard to beat the bang for buck upgrade that an original 1DX provides.

Just my thoughts.

Feb 18, 2023 at 12:03 PM
JayRooney

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Indoor Sports - Next Step

Thanks for the quick response.

Under poor [old gyms] conditions, I generally shoot at 1000-1250 ISO with my 135MM 1.8, or around 2500 ISO with the 70-200 at 2.8. Post is Lightroom basics- especially the presence options and lens correction, I generally do not use the detail options in develop.

Link to one of the gyms I frequent with less than optimal lighting conditions:

https://jayrooneyphotography.smugmug.com/Business-Portraits/Denmark-Basketball/2023/1-13-23-West-at-Denmark

Sure, I can sell one of my Mark IVs...thanks for the suggestions on 1DX II and R6, I'll have to do some research on those.

Feb 18, 2023 at 12:54 PM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Indoor Sports - Next Step

JayRooney wrote:
Thanks for the quick response.

Under poor [old gyms] conditions, I generally shoot at 1000-1250 ISO with my 135MM 1.8, or around 2500 ISO with the 70-200 at 2.8. Post is Lightroom basics- especially the presence options and lens correction, I generally do not use the detail options in develop.

Link to one of the gyms I frequent with less than optimal lighting conditions:

https://jayrooneyphotography.smugmug.com/Business-Portraits/Denmark-Basketball/2023/1-13-23-West-at-Denmark

Sure, I can sell one of my Mark IVs...thanks for the suggestions on 1DX II and R6, I'll have to do some research on those.

Consider yourself lucky with those settings. From my sports shooting years, If you are shooting at ISO 1250, you are not in poor lighting. Poor lighting is ISO 12,800, 2.8, 1/500, and still underexposed.
I currently shoot with an R3 but have used all the 1D bodies since the 1DIII. My issue with the 1DIV (I had two) was that the AF was unpredictable. If you are shooting 1.8, it might also be your lens that isn't sharp wide open.

FWIW, I found the 1Dx a minor upgrade in ISO performance but a significant upgrade in AF accuracy.
The 1DxII was another minor ISO upgrade to the 1Dx but again a significant improvement over the 1Dx in other ways
The R3 is simply in another league when it comes to AF abilities and controls. It too was a minor upgrade in ISO over the 1DxII for me.
I would suggest investing in Topaz AI before spending on a new camera body if you like the 1DIV. It can work wonders with images regarding noise. I would just make sure that you aren't mistaking slightly oof images or lens softness for noise issues. I was perfectly happy shooting at ISO3200 with the 1DIV. It is a great camera. I wish that they would bring that APS-H sensor back with modern performance.
Good luck.

Feb 18, 2023 at 02:28 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Indoor Sports - Next Step

Shot a hockey game this afternoon from upstairs with a 200-500, D6 and huge ISO jump. RAW processed in DxO Photolab. This about a 45 percent crop. I recommend RAW whenever possible and DxO Photolab to denoise and sharpen.

NIKON D6    VR 200-500mm f/5.6E lens    310mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    16000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 18, 2023 at 07:15 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Indoor Sports - Next Step

To expand a bit...I would urge you to investigate the various noise and sharpening apps before getting new equipment. I've dug out images from back in the day when I used a 1D2n, ran them through DxO and been impressed with the results. I threw a lot of frames away back then that I'd keep now. Here's a severe crop out of a 1DIII.

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:23 AM
JayRooney

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Indoor Sports - Next Step

Thanks again for the advise, Topaz AI was a great suggestion, gave me just the right amount of sharpness I was after!

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:42 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.