Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

PureMichigan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

Had some situations recently where I needed extended reach.

With my ~20MP DSLRs, I always avoided shifting into DX mode. The file size just got a little too small. And with a TC you get the f-stop penalty and any/all quality loss from the extra glass.

Now with a Z9 - or really any other higher MP mirrorless camera -- I feel like DX has become a much more viable option for reach, producing file sizes the same as a FINE* D5/D6 file. After programming DX as a front button, it's pretty easy to shift a 200MM/f2 into a focal length equivalent of 280MM f2.? with surprisingly good results.

I don't ever see myself using a TC again unless it is integrated into the lens like to 400MM 2.8 TC.

Not an earth-shattering finding by any means ... but wonder if others have started to use DX a little more as MP counts have crept up.

Feb 09, 2023 at 01:34 PM
carl_g
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

I traveled to FL via plane recently for a soccer tournament and didnít feel like dragging down my 400 f2/8 so I used my 300 along with the z9 in crop mode and it worked great!!!

Feb 09, 2023 at 02:58 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

Crop mode doesn't give you any reach advantage. Shoot the same target from the same spot with two identical bodies, one cropped and the other full frame, and your target will be the same size on both if the focal length is the same. The only difference will be size of the frame. The target will contain the same number of pixels.

Feb 09, 2023 at 08:40 PM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

Absolutely true -- at least for me, it helps with composing and framing in camera. The point here is that we have more pixels to play with now. You can crop within the crop and still have a usable file. More latitude and flexibility in that respect.

Feb 10, 2023 at 07:51 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

The IQ still becomes questionable under high ISO and significant PP cropping. At least this is what I've experienced when shooting in aps-c mode on my Sony A1.

Feb 10, 2023 at 10:02 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

PureMichigan wrote:
Absolutely true -- at least for me, it helps with composing and framing in camera. The point here is that we have more pixels to play with now. You can crop within the crop and still have a usable file. More latitude and flexibility in that respect.

If you're shooting a prime from a static position and the target will remain within the crop, I can see it. But if the target moves toward you the potential risk is a truncated target. I'd hate to lose a great shot because the in-camera crop whacked off an athlete's head. If we're using a zoom, the story changes, but there will always be a risk of the target straying outside the crop.

Feb 10, 2023 at 11:06 AM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

I use my R5 and 300 2.8 in crop mode for indoor swimming all the time. The change in the viewfinder makes it easier to tracking swimmers 4 lanes away. Shoot jpeg, let the camera handle the NR reduction, minor changes in post and done.

Feb 13, 2023 at 11:05 AM
kreegerk
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

Yes, looking for composition, not IQ, and for that it works great. I have used it with any of the gold banded AF-S lenses, and the Z 70-200 F2.8 with great results.

The 19MP C60 mode added with Firmware 3 does an amazing job with any lens.

The Z TC 1.4 with Z 70-200 is the bomb.

The IQ of this can't be shown well with upload limits here, but examples are two cropped, SOOC Jpegs taken in 120FPS mode with the lower resolution 11MP of this combo.

©Keith Kreeger

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S Z TC-1.4x lens    220mm    f/4.0    1/8000s    800 ISO    -0.7 EV  

©Keith Kreeger

NIKON Z 9    NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S Z TC-1.4x lens    220mm    f/4.0    1/8000s    800 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Feb 13, 2023 at 05:43 PM
jpturner

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

I have with the Z9 and I'm very happy with the results. I've used my 70-200mm 2.8, making it a 300mm FOV, and used DX mode to reach from the outfield with the 500 PF, giving it a 750mm FOV.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-r9FNn8w/0/O/i-r9FNn8w.jpg

Feb 15, 2023 at 10:19 AM
kreegerk
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

Covering basketball last night, Z9 (iso6400) Nikon AF-S 200mm F2... with its background melting bokeh in the DX crop mode...

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:19 AM
Dbltfarmer
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

I also use it alot. In fact I have programmed my red movie button to switch between ff and dx. Simply push the button and it goes back and forth between the two. Shooting in DX mode gives me much quicker transfer than putting on or taking off and teleconverter.

Feb 19, 2023 at 07:29 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

Dbltfarmer wrote:
I also use it alot. In fact I have programmed my red movie button to switch between ff and dx. Simply push the button and it goes back and forth between the two. Shooting in DX mode gives me much quicker transfer than putting on or taking off and teleconverter.

DX mode doesn't increase your reach. All it does is crop. There is no telephoto effect.

Feb 19, 2023 at 08:23 PM
Dbltfarmer
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

henry albert wrote:
DX mode doesn't increase your reach. All it does is crop. There is no telephoto effect.

We know that. It is a tool that can be used for many different things. From decreasing post processing time to helping with composition it is a tool that is valuable to many photographers. If not why would Nikon, Canon and Sony all put DX mode on their full frame cameras.

Feb 20, 2023 at 08:30 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

Dbltfarmer wrote:
We know that. It is a tool that can be used for many different things. From decreasing post processing time to helping with composition it is a tool that is valuable to many photographers. If not why would Nikon, Canon and Sony all put DX mode on their full frame cameras.

If you know crop mode doesn't provide reach, then why keep saying it does? In the post I responded to, you compared crop mode to using a TC. Others have said they used a shorter lens and crop mode instead of a longer lens. I really don't care much about what anyone thinks or does anymore than they should give a crap about my opinions, but this myth about crop mode adding reach has been around forever. And it's misleading to newcomers to photography who think they'll get a free telephoto just by checking a menu box.

As for why the manufacturers put crop mode on their cameras, I suppose it's because market research has told them consumers want it. It's useless to me so I don't care if it's there or not. It takes only a few seconds to manually crop a frame during editing and my judgement will be much more flexible and probably closer to what the image demands than a one-size-fits-all crop imposed by a camera. Other shooters' mileage may differ.

Feb 20, 2023 at 03:02 PM
Dbltfarmer
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

Just as I have said in the previous post. It is a tool. In my case I use it for composition, reduced cropping in post and no loss of sharpness when using a teleconverter.

Questions, Why is DX mode put on many full frame cameras from Nikon, Sony, and Canon?

Why are so many DX cameras still being made? (and no I don't believe it is all about price)

Why did Olympus come out with the 4/3rd's camera sensor?

Why do many birders prefer DX bodies but use long telephoto lense?
6II
I have been shooting with a D500's for several years. A couple of years ago i added a D850. Then I added the Z6II and the Z9. I have shot in DX mode with both the D850 and Z9 but never the ZII due to its 24mp. I shoot both sports and wildlife. When shooting sports, it is for a fan website that will only accept 2mp or less for each image. At that resolution no one will notice if you are using a teleconverter or DX mode. Speed of uploads t websites and good composition are the most important attributes when downloading to the website.

Below are two videos that I remember seeing when after I bought my first D500. Both are from Steve Perry.
https://nikonrumors.com/2016/11/12/nikon-dx-camera-vs-cropping-or-putting-a-teleconverter-on-a-full-frame-body.aspx/#more-108749

Feb 20, 2023 at 07:47 PM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

Dbltfarmer wrote:
In my case I use it for . . . no loss of sharpness when using a teleconverter.

You're not listening to what I'm saying. You are using the same sensor and the same pixels. You will have exactly the same effect on the image whether you are using FF or crop. The cropped part of the image will be exactly the same in FF as in any cropped mode you choose.

Questions, Why is DX mode put on many full frame cameras from Nikon, Sony, and Canon?

Rhetorical, but answered.

Why are so many DX cameras still being made? (and no I don't believe it is all about price)

You're off topic and not talking about crop mode in an FF body.

Why did Olympus come out with the 4/3rd's camera sensor?

Ditto.

Why do many birders prefer DX bodies but use long telephoto lense?

Ditto, ditto.

I have been shooting with a D500's for several years.

I'm no stranger to crop sensors myself. D200, D1x, 1D2, 1D2n, 1D3, two D500s.I still have and use a D500. But that has little, if anything, to do with using crop mode in an FF body.

And finally . . .Steve's video isn't about crop mode.

Is the horse dead yet?

Feb 20, 2023 at 08:52 PM
Dbltfarmer
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Are You Using DX Mode More With Your Higher MP Cameras?

DX mode is simply and in camera crop. As I said before it is simply another tool that the camera gives you. I have heard and read many photographers state that it gives them more reach. If you want to fill the frame of the camera you have four choices. Get closer to the subject, get a bigger lens, use a teleconverter or crop.

All of these things will work. When you shoot wildlife or sports you are limited to how close you can get. Most photographers cannot afford the longer lenses like a 600. Even with the superzooms like the 150-600's loose significant IQ and focus speed.

Then you have cropping which can be a DX camera, post processing or a DX mode in a full frame camera. All of which will work. With the Z9 you not only get files that are very close in size to some of the most popular DX cameras. Plus you get much better AF, shooting speeds and a larger buffer. Also I again mention the time it takes to crop images in post processing that I can save by using dx mode at times. Not to mention that I can go back and forth from FX to DX mode with the simple press of a button.

Finally you could use a teleconverter. In my small part of the world I don't want to be taking the lens off as it can be very dusty here. I have only had to clean my sensor on the Z9 once because I am very careful about when, where. and how I change my lenses. I won't even change them in my truck or car. Secondly in sports and wildlife you can miss many shots by putting on or taking off a teleconverter.

https://backcountrygallery.com/all-about-your-cameras-crop-modes/So the obvious choice for me is to use the Z9 in DX mode at times.

When I first got my Z9, I tried several of my lenses with the Z9 on a tripod. When I got to my old Sigma 150-600 sport. About 75 yards away was a prairie dog. I was in eye af in WL. The camera would not focus on the eye as it was too far away. I tried zooming in with the in camera zoom on the back screen when I put the camera in pinpoint AF. With this tool I could put the focus point right on the eye and get very good AF. When I downloaded the photo I found I could do and extreme crop and have a good photo. This past summer i did the same thing with the 500pf on a group of burrowing owls. This time I put the camera in DX mode and tried the same only this time with single point. It took me half the time to get focus on the owls.

For me the DX is a valuable tool at times and can help me in a lot of ways.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:44 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.