Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
  

As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock

  
 
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


Would I buy one if it existed? Probably for two lenses tops. Am I going to complain about it till infinity over it not existing? No. I honestly have way better things to do with my time and creative energy.
quote]Desmolicious wrote:
Yes a screw drive FTZ will be more expensive. But no-one will make YOU buy it. Only the people who want one will buy it.

Where's the downside?





Jan 26, 2023 at 01:07 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


RoamingScott wrote:
Ask Nikon. Theyíve clearly identified one because the product doesnít exist.



Or they clearly ignored a golden opportunity to differentiate themselves.

Nikon is famous for that - like how they were convinced mirrorless wouldn't catch on and so stuck with DSLRs.



Jan 26, 2023 at 01:09 PM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


They're doing it with their telephoto lenses, but if a person is hung on AF-D glass it's definitely not something they're going to pay attention to. I like the Z glass personally, but everybody has their own personal thing that floats their boat. And with the DSLR to mirrorless thing. They catch flack for it regardless of whatever decision they made. People mad because they transitioned out of DSLR and people mad that they stuck with DSLR for too long and didn't go headlong into mirrorless fast enough. So honestly people need to pick their poison and move on.
Desmolicious wrote:
Or they clearly ignored a golden opportunity to differentiate themselves.

Nikon is famous for that - like how they were convinced mirrorless wouldn't catch on and so stuck with DSLRs.





Jan 26, 2023 at 01:14 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


JadedWriter wrote:
They're doing it with their telephoto lenses, but if a person is hung on AF-D glass it's definitely not something they're going to pay attention to. I like the Z glass personally, but everybody has their own personal thing that floats their boat. And with the DSLR to mirrorless thing. They catch flack for it regardless of whatever decision they made. People mad because they transitioned out of DSLR and people mad that they stuck with DSLR for too long and didn't go headlong into mirrorless fast enough. So honestly people need to pick their poison and move on.



All Nikon had to do, and can still do, is make an adapter that works. Even now they can use it as a marketing tool. Why would you leave that benefit on the table?

Bunch of tiktok videos with influencers showing how cool Nikon is, cuz no other mfg does that! Bunch of you-tubers doing the same thing.

But no, lets just try to convince potential buyers that my insect eye AF is better than your insect eye AF. Even though all these type of cameras blend into the same thing...



Jan 26, 2023 at 03:37 PM
Desmolicious
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


Simple question to everyone. Why wouldn't you want Nikon to offer an adapter that allows for D lens compatibility?








Jan 26, 2023 at 03:45 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


Desmolicious wrote:
Simple question to everyone. Why wouldn't you want Nikon to offer an adapter that allows for D lens compatibility?




No one is saying they actively DON'T WANT one to exist. I'd love it Nikon made one, because we'd never have to hear about this again!

The majority of us are saying it's very unlikely that it ever WILL exist because the perceived demand for it on forums like this skews way higher than the average Nikon consumer demand out in the real world. Nikon is making products they think their customers will actually buy and provide a return on investment, like world class tele lenses, and more lately some value-based pancake lenses.

Almost no "normal" customer is looking to buy used AF-D glass in 2023, full stop.

I still don't understand the argument that someone would take their Nikon AF-D glass to Sony, where it would still be MF only, just to stick it to Nikon for reasons.



Jan 26, 2023 at 03:47 PM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


Unless you get very lucky like Fuji did with the X100V, tech sells it's that simple. A lot of the young film crowd doesn't even buy the exotic lenses like this and I have basically only seen 80-200's being used by freelancers on a tight budget. I don't think anything in the demographic would really care whether a camera body supports AF-D or not. I don't even see people on YouTube talking about it that much.
Desmolicious wrote:
All Nikon had to do, and can still do, is make an adapter that works. Even now they can use it as a marketing tool. Why would you leave that benefit on the table?

Bunch of tiktok videos with influencers showing how cool Nikon is, cuz no other mfg does that! Bunch of you-tubers doing the same thing.

But no, lets just try to convince potential buyers that my insect eye AF is better than your insect eye AF. Even though all these type of cameras blend into the same thing...





Jan 26, 2023 at 03:56 PM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


Because I honestly don't care. I'm honestly more concerned about Nikon moving forwards and not backwards and actually focus on getting better at internally servicing the stuff that they actually do make still and make products faster.
Desmolicious wrote:
Simple question to everyone. Why wouldn't you want Nikon to offer an adapter that allows for D lens compatibility?







Jan 26, 2023 at 03:59 PM
 


Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


my 17-35 2.8D works just fine with FTZ. but personally i prefer thr 14-30/4 S on it for weight alone.


Jan 26, 2023 at 04:09 PM
Max Power
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


JadedWriter wrote:
Like I honestly think Nikon looked at the people that haven't bought a lens from them in 20-30 years and were like:






You do realize Nikon had D lenses in their catalog as recently as 5 years ago, right? That is almost as recent as the release of the Z bodies. So, cute spin but..... no.

I understand the decisions and the economics of it. Its not hard. I kind of don't agree with it though. I don't think they would have made any money on an adapter if they priced it where people would afford it. But I am pretty sure they would have sold a lot more Z bodies, where they DO make money, if the people with D lenses could have AF on all their lenses. And what do people with Z bodies "eventually" do? Buy Z lenses.

I decided not to wait any longer for a solution from Nikon and just went out and bought a Sigma 150-600 and adapt that.

One thing I have learned, making a case for an SD adapter sure gets some people riled up. They just cant wait to spend a lot of my money...lol.



Jan 26, 2023 at 04:59 PM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


A lot happens in the span of 5 years.
Max Power wrote:
You do realize Nikon had D lenses in their catalog as recently as 5 years ago, right? That is almost as recent as the release of the Z bodies. So, cute spin but..... no.

I understand the decisions and the economics of it. Its not hard. I kind of don't agree with it though. I don't think they would have made any money on an adapter if they priced it where people would afford it. But I am pretty sure they would have sold a lot more Z bodies, where they DO make money, if the people with D
...Show more




Jan 26, 2023 at 05:04 PM
Max Power
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


They. Practically. Overlapped.


Jan 26, 2023 at 05:05 PM
JadedWriter
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


Yeah and then they discontinued the stuff. I'm not exactly sure when a company is supposed to be allowed to stop making parts or supporting a product. Maybe I'm too used to Playstation being what it is, but this is almost like if I got mad at Sony for my Playstation 3 discs not working in my PS5. I literally just move on. Arguing about why Nikon did doesn't change what happened nor is it a solution. Find something else that gets the job done and move on. It honestly feels more reasonable than holding grudges against a company.
Max Power wrote:
They. Practically. Overlapped.





Jan 26, 2023 at 05:10 PM
Max Power
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


JadedWriter wrote:
Yeah and then they discontinued the stuff. I'm not exactly sure when a company is supposed to be allowed to stop making parts or supporting a product. Maybe I'm too used to Playstation being what it is, but this is almost like if I got mad at Sony for my Playstation 3 discs not working in my PS5. I literally just move on. Arguing about why Nikon did doesn't change what happened nor is it a solution. Find something else that gets the job done and move on. It honestly feels more reasonable than holding grudges against a company.



I don't hold grudges. I just needed to replace lenses and ended up buying something that wasn't Nikon. I am not the only one, hence the point that Nikon lost the opportunity to sell more bodies. It's not even an argument, other than listening to people with no skin in the game telling me to shut up and move on.

That advice can be offered both ways. Capiche?



Jan 27, 2023 at 09:46 AM
Smiert Spionam
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


A screw-drive AF Z adapter would be complicated and expensive, but thatís not the only reason why Nikon might be reluctant to make one. It would also foreground the massive gaps in not only speed, but AF accuracy, of the older lenses ó they simply canít function to the level of precision that weíve come to expect with even inexpensive Z lenses. Such an adapter is inviting disappointment, frustration, and tons of user complaints. It would be a reputational liability to the company, and a pain in the ass to support.

I donít blame them one bit for making a clean break, and Iíve been shooting Nikons for 30+ years.



Jan 30, 2023 at 07:32 AM
Sauseschritt
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · As long as Nikon keeps repair parts in stock


Nikon still sells the AF 105mm f2 DC last time I checked. Some call it Nikons signature lens.

The AF 180mm f2.8 was discontinued only quite recently. I would call it Nikons moneymaker lens, or Nikons equivalent to Canons EF 135mm f2, which Canon of course now also has discontinued.

The AF 200mm f4 micro was discontinued earlier but there is still no replacement. There is also no replacement for the 180/2.8 of course either, but thats not an as unique and important lens as an extra long macro lens.



Jan 30, 2023 at 09:21 AM
1       2      
3
       end






FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password