New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

3rd party lenses

comotionfilms

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 3rd party lenses

Just saw this and thought about you. The article (and pictures) remind me how much I love this little travel camera, even though I primarily shoot Canon.

https://borisk.photos/posts/8-why-you-should-buy-sony-rx1-in-2022/

I clip it to my hip using a little spider pin, no lens strap or anything, and I forgot I even have it on me.

Jan 27, 2023 at 09:13 AM
akashyap
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 3rd party lenses

I had an RX1RII for a few months, pretty wonderful camera. I did miss 1.4 glass + IBIS, so I did end up selling it, but Iíd love to purchase it again sometime.

As far as the OP is concerned, I think they should buy an A7 camera and an EF to E adapter. It would be similar bulk as adapting any of the non native RF lenses to an RF body, with some hits to AF speed. However, Sony system opens up great used prices on Batis series, great used prices on Loxia series, and a full array of native Voigtlander lenses.

It seems like Zeiss is done making stills lenses, so the Batis and Loxia series are their last ones. I think Voigtlander will come around to Canon RF, but itís going to take a while.

Jan 27, 2023 at 09:25 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 3rd party lenses

Again, Canon's mirrorless lineup isn't just the R bodies, they have had a mirrorless lineup for almost a decade now.

The M6II with a compact lens (fast prime or otherwise) is a) compact and b) compete easily with any of the older non-Canon offerings.

Not only that, it is VERY easy to get rid of the crop factor on the M series, making it nearly a FF camera in all senses other than still having a crop-sized sensor.

This series, even though it seems like Canon has been ignoring the line, is very versatile, with good performance, pixel density, size, features and abilities to use EF, EFM, and EFS lenses. Asking someone that is very knee-deep in Canon gear and utilizing Canon files/workflow/controls to move to Sony seems a bit silly to me personally, especially since there are more than capable Canon options.

Samyang 50 1.2 M lens

ISO 25600 macro shot (f13, 1/500)

Viltrox speedbooster, converting the 24-70L f2.8 to a 27-77 f2 lens (M50 as a 1.1 crop body), keep in mind that these ornamental flowers are no more than 6" in length to the base.

Edited on Jan 27, 2023 at 11:39 AM · View previous versions

Jan 27, 2023 at 09:59 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 3rd party lenses

I looked at the first generation A7 series for alts as prices came down. Might get some ribbing from the Sony guys, but I though it might be good for the numerous alts I have. But those things have a lot of potential problems. Lens mount issue, shutter shock issue, can't shoot in extreme cold issue etc. So even though R is more early, get-one-on-the-board model, it looks much more polished than A7. Prices are apparently coming down. RX1 series 35mm only

I don't really think 3rd party 85-135's are lighter. Certainly 135/1.8 Sigma isn't. If you are 50mm or less, mirrorless might have some size advantages (but even then you have Voightlander 20mm, for one) but over 50mm it's just not there for the most part. The lenses have to be physically longer. Rebels + kit lenses can be ridiculously light but I seem to be one of the few interested these days.

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:09 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 3rd party lenses

I use my rebel kit lenses on my R6, the 18-55 STM and 55-250 STM are some of Canon's best low-cost EFS lenses for what you get from them. These lenses would work better on the R5 however for final results. There are a couple other great EFS lenses too, but beyond those, meh.

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:36 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 3rd party lenses

I've read 10-18 is supposed to be good, DLO in DPP can help and then + 18-55 & 55-250 you have 16-400 ff equivalent potentially under 3lbs.

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:45 PM
PicGuy
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 3rd party lenses

AmbientMike wrote:
I've read 10-18 is supposed to be good, DLO in DPP can help and then + 18-55 & 55-250 you have 16-400 ff equivalent potentially under 3lbs.

I have used this 10-18mm and 55-250mm STM along with the EF-S 15-85mm along with the SL2 for a number of years. It is a great combo to take when flying and luggage space is limited. I have been tempted to replace the SL2 with the R10 and keep chugging away with the three EF-S lenses. The SL2 batteries can be used in the R10 and the built in flash can be very useful in a pinch. For now I am in a holding pattern and am anxious to see what the rumored R8 will be. I hope it basically is an R10 with IBIS and some other upgrades. If it is then I will buy one.

Jan 27, 2023 at 02:20 PM
jay w

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 3rd party lenses

Commotionfilms. Nice article and Amsterdam brought back some memories. I did a lot of night photography with the Olympus XA in Amsterdam and it had a great meter for night shots. So yeah, I'd like something along those lines, but there's some sticker shock for an RX1 (unless going used). The article is compelling.

I also looked at the M50, but if feels like buying into a system that has been left behind. Anyway, I appreciate the comments. If I jump (or not), I'll check back in after the trip in March.

Jan 28, 2023 at 08:02 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 3rd party lenses

Good luck, please report back.

As for the M series, I personally donít care if canon has stopped paying attention to it, as long as the M bodies fill my needs and there are great lenses I can use.

Jan 30, 2023 at 02:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Z250SA
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 3rd party lenses

PicGuy wrote:
I have used this 10-18mm and 55-250mm STM along with the EF-S 15-85mm along with the SL2 for a number of years. It is a great combo to take when flying and luggage space is limited. I have been tempted to replace the SL2 with the R10 and keep chugging away with the three EF-S lenses. The SL2 batteries can be used in the R10 and the built in flash can be very useful in a pinch. For now I am in a holding pattern and am anxious to see what the rumored R8 will be. I hope it basically
...Show more

The addition of the adapter makes the R10 with 15-85 awkwardly and utterly frontheavy. I really hope C makes a RF 15-85.

Jan 30, 2023 at 04:53 PM
PicGuy
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 3rd party lenses

Z250SA wrote:
The addition of the adapter makes the R10 with 15-85 awkwardly and utterly frontheavy. I really hope C makes a RF 15-85.

So do I but I think the odds of this happening are very slim. I am used to using this lens on an SL2 so I might be able to live with the ergonomics of it mounted on the R10. For now I am not buying into APS-C in the R system due to Canon's 3rd party lens ban. Without 3rd party APS-C lens support the number of RF-S lenses will be abysmal.

Jan 31, 2023 at 07:36 AM
jpeter
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 3rd party lenses

I second the positive opinion on the Voigt/Leica M lens option on Canon RF. These lenses are tiny. Be warned that the wider M's may work better on some sensors than others. My 35f1.7 Ultron is great on my R5, but had color smearing on the original Eos-R. I also own a 75f1.5 Voigt. I don't have much luck using focus peaking for these. One of my back button focus is set to magnify and it works for me. So do your research if looking to go this route to make sure the sensor performs well.

I have some adapted Leica R lenses also, these seemed small when used on 5D2 and 5DSR, but the adapter definitely adds to the size/weight considerably. (using a stacked RF-EF & EF-LeicaR) The Leica M to RF adapter is very thin by comparison.

JP

Jan 31, 2023 at 08:14 AM
jay w

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 3rd party lenses

Tonight, I stumbled on a Fotodiox adaptor with a focus confirmation chip.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1449696-REG/fotodiox_nikf_eos_fc10_lens_mount_adapter_compatible.html?sts=pi
It sounds like the camera beeps (and central focus point blinks) when it hits focus (using the central focus sensor?). Also, focus distance can be adjusted if it's not dead on (but I don't quite follow the instructions). I'm curious is anyone has used a version of this with v10 chip? l think it might be worth me picking one up for testing.

BTW, jpeter, I'm curious why focus peaking doesn't work for the 35 and 75 (not having used focus peaking).

Thanks.

Feb 01, 2023 at 08:14 PM
jpeter
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 3rd party lenses

jay w wrote:
Tonight, I stumbled on a Fotodiox adaptor with a focus confirmation chip.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1449696-REG/fotodiox_nikf_eos_fc10_lens_mount_adapter_compatible.html?sts=pi
It sounds like the camera beeps (and central focus point blinks) when it hits focus (using the central focus sensor?). Also, focus distance can be adjusted if it's not dead on (but I don't quite follow the instructions). I'm curious is anyone has used a version of this with v10 chip? l think it might be worth me picking one up for testing.

BTW, jpeter, I'm curious why focus peaking doesn't work for the 35 and 75 (not having used focus peaking).

Thanks.

For me, the focus peaking doesn't work on any lens. The band of focus is pretty wide. In addition the peaking colors blot out everything, so it makes the viewing difficult. Some people seem to like it.

I had some old EF programed chips that you would glue onto the adapters. You could get focus confirm and exif data of focal length (which you would program in thru a tedious process.) These have a big advantage for the adapted lens on the R5. The IS needs to know focal length, and if it doesn't read it from the lens, you have to enter it manually. The old EF chips still work on the R5. The fotodiox might be nice.

JP

Feb 01, 2023 at 10:19 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 3rd party lenses

Wider lenses yield wider DOF, as do slower aperture lenses. I can guarantee that a fast mid prime like a 50 1.2 shows a sliver of focus peaking color, but something like an 18-55 shows a wide color swath, meaning that whatever is highlighted in color is indeed your DOF. I simply run the focus ring back and forth until I know the subject is in the center of the field.

In summary, if just about the entire screen is in color, one of three things are happening, a) you are using an ultra wide lens, b) you are using a narrow aperture, or c) your subject of focus is far off. Focus peaking is great with fast primes beyond 24mm or so, or close subjects like macros.

One final thought, some people can do better with focus peaking if they change the color the camera uses. I found that yellow highlighting works better for me.

Feb 02, 2023 at 04:11 AM
Z250SA
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 3rd party lenses

TeamSpeed wrote:
Wider lenses yield wider DOF, as do slower aperture lenses. I can guarantee that a fast mid prime like a 50 1.2 shows a sliver of focus peaking color, but something like an 18-55 shows a wide color swath, meaning that whatever is highlighted in color is indeed your DOF. I simply run the focus ring back and forth until I know the subject is in the center of the field.

In summary, if just about the entire screen is in color, one of three things are happening, a) you are using an ultra wide lens, b) you are using
...Show more

I suspect that we have to add the resolution of the sensor, the Mp, to get a final grip of this question. I used focus peaking with the RP to satisfaction. But not with the R5 which has roughly 30% higher linear resolution. I have no idea whether Canon does compensate for this. But now I zoom in on any subject in the middle of the intended zone of sharp focus with better result.

Have to try a different colour than red, interesting advise, thanx!, as I like to see the zone in focus move back and forth over the subject, usually something landscapeish rather than a specific object.

Feb 02, 2023 at 05:39 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 3rd party lenses

Well the firmware has to map the actual sensor results and what it thinks is in focus to a much smaller resolution EVF display, so there is that.

Using the 5x or 10x loupe is an option too, but for some reason I have less of a line for that feature. I have used it for macros and moon shots with success though. For moon shots, I am usually at 2000mm or so, and a loupe on the craters helps the final result.

Feb 02, 2023 at 10:43 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password