Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2023 · Finally dropped a camera....

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Finally dropped a camera....

I have a Hassy film back in Lake Louise in Calgary. I think that's the name . I was doing aerials from a Helicopter and bam flew off my lap. It was unexposed though. I had about 7 backs ready to shoot. This stuff happens. One time in Monument Valley at the North window I almost dropped a tech cam with a 50k back and lens on it from a pano head that slipped through. I caught the damn thing and it actually happened a second time same workshop and I threw the damn head out immediately. It was a pano clamp head from RRS no less.

I have taught a lot of workshops where I have seen falls, drops bad card readers bad cards and a tripod that fell apart. Unfortunate this stuff happens and worse some folks actually got hurt. Most important is just staying alive chasing one down and not get hurt

Jan 25, 2023 at 09:11 AM
MARKFER
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Finally dropped a camera....

I'm sorry to hear that. I dropped a 100-400GM a couple years ago. Front element smashed. It's really heartbreaking.

Jan 25, 2023 at 09:29 AM
chiron
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Finally dropped a camera....

1bwana1 wrote:
I tripped and fell off an embankment this Summer. My Leica around my neck. Focused the whole fall on saving the camera. It never hit the ground, not a scratch. 5 surgeries later and facing one more big one. Doctors say about 1.5 years to reach the best recovery I will achieve. Never going to bec100%. Still relearning how to walk. Will probably suffer problems the rest of my life.

I have great insurance but estimate total costs so far in mid plus six figures.

Incalculable costs to Wife and loved ones.

Camera was fully insured against all risks.

In retrospect I should have
...Show more

That is a terrible story. Very sorry to hear this. Best wishes for recovery. A good caution to others about what really counts.

Jan 25, 2023 at 09:44 AM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Finally dropped a camera....

chiron wrote:
That is a terrible story. Very sorry to hear this. Best wishes for recovery. A good caution to others about what really counts.

In reality there is plenty of good news. They can pretty much fix everything. It is just a matter of going through the process, allowing time to heal, and working on recovery. I have the good fortune to live in an area with superb medical facilities, and Doctors. Thanks to modern medical miracles I am very optimistic about the future.

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:12 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Finally dropped a camera....

Steve, so sorry to read about your accident. Wishing you continued recovery.

Dropping a borrowed camera and lens was what got me into photography. In the 1990’s , went on a business trip to France. My associate said I will bring you a camera to use. He shows up with some Nikon F version film camera with a 70-200 mm lens. No strap, no case. My experience with cameras to this point was nil. I nursed that camera through the whole trip. Had a ball learning to use it. Then, 2 days before the trip was to end, I set it down on a table. I watched in horror , as it fell in seemingly slow motion to a cement floor. Lens no longer worked , camera had several pieces that cracked or just fell off.

When I returned home, my husband asked, What did you buy in Paris. My answer - a broken camera and lens . I had it repaired and well here I am many years later still spending money on cameras and gear !!

Birdie

Jan 25, 2023 at 11:15 AM
Charlie N
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Finally dropped a camera....

dropped my A7iv and 16-35pz.... the hood shattered, some broken threads, body damaged, but all is working. Acted a little quirky afterwards however I continued to use it for the rest of the day and up to this moment, glad no repairs needed, it's a little ugly now, and that's ok

Jan 25, 2023 at 12:08 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Finally dropped a camera....

mikekel wrote:
Less than 24 hours after ordering a new A7RV I decided to take my A7RIII, which was in really good shape and was to be put up for sale tomorrow, out with the metabones adapter and a Canon wide angle, to the beach for a quick test. Coming back to the car, managed to lose footing, fall down and smash the rear screen. So this morning was going to resell for $1000, this afternoon looking at $500 plus for a repair.... go figure

Maybe you should just keep it for a backup? Do you use the rear screen? I've dropped bodies several times and knock on wood they worked most of the time. Sorry this happened to you.

Cheaper than a visit to the ER or doctor a lot of the time I suppose

Jan 25, 2023 at 01:24 PM
Zayne12
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Finally dropped a camera....

I once forgot to zip my backpack and the second I stood up out came my 12-24 f4 lens and smacked against the rock. There was a minor dent in the rear housing and the lens still functioned fine ended up selling it with a minor loss in cash with full disclosure of the issue.

Jan 25, 2023 at 02:16 PM
tctmp
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Finally dropped a camera....

1bwana1 wrote:
I tripped and fell off an embankment this Summer. My Leica around my neck. Focused the whole fall on saving the camera. It never hit the ground, not a scratch. 5 surgeries later and facing one more big one. Doctors say about 1.5 years to reach the best recovery I will achieve. Never going to bec100%. Still relearning how to walk. Will probably suffer problems the rest of my life.

I have great insurance but estimate total costs so far in mid plus six figures.

Incalculable costs to Wife and loved ones.

Camera was fully insured against all risks.

In retrospect I should have
...Show more

That sounds terrible. Hope you heal well and soon.

The issue is that a lot of human reflex is wrong in the grand scheme of things. So we need to play out those scenarios in our minds before hand, how unlikely they may be, and make choices. Even that, im not sure whether we manage to stick to the decision when it really happens.

Jan 25, 2023 at 04:36 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Finally dropped a camera....

RoamingScott wrote:
This is why you add an insurance rider to your home policy!

Depends on the deductible.

Jan 25, 2023 at 05:30 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Finally dropped a camera....

I had a Sony A7-something with an Otus 85mm attached to it disconnect from the ballhead and fall on concrete steps. The lens got the impact, but only the hood showed damage. Now, the lens was a loaner from Zeiss, but they never charged me for the damage and kept sending me loaners and even asked me to write for their blog.

Jan 25, 2023 at 05:38 PM
gipper53
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Finally dropped a camera....

I've yet to actually drop a camera while it's in my hand. My gear accidents have been camera bags that come tumbling out the back of the SUV hatch when I open the boot. It's happened twice and both times it's damaged a lens. First time was about 15 years ago, and the 2nd just this past December.

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:00 PM
Jimi3
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Finally dropped a camera....

Sorry to hear that! My switch to Sony happened 8 years ago after the tripod supporting my Canon 5d Mark II fell over into a lake! The Canon did not survive, so I took the opportunity to buy an A7r2, and it’s still my main camera.

Jan 26, 2023 at 03:59 PM
shadow9d9
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Finally dropped a camera....

RoamingScott wrote:
This is why you add an insurance rider to your home policy!

Be careful aboit this. Doing so, for me, would mean only coverage in the US. I spend 1/3 ofnmy year abroad, so I had to go with state farm specifically for gear coverage.

Jan 26, 2023 at 11:44 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Finally dropped a camera....

shadow9d9 wrote:
Be careful aboit this. Doing so, for me, would mean only coverage in the US. I spend 1/3 ofnmy year abroad, so I had to go with state farm specifically for gear coverage.

My home owner scheduled item policy on my camera gear covers me World Wide against all risk. It is from USAA so this may be provider specific. Check with your agent.

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:19 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Finally dropped a camera....

A few years ago I was t-boned in west LA while riding my Harley home from work. I was meant to sell it the next day.

Jan 27, 2023 at 01:15 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Finally dropped a camera....

Not sure rider home insurance actually covers outside USA, something to check. Being a Pro I could not use a rider insurance Home policy so had to get a business insurance one. Don't forget you will have a deductible usually 500 or 1000

Jan 27, 2023 at 06:42 AM
snegron7
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Finally dropped a camera....

I feel your pain. I too have dropped cameras and equipment in the past.

1. I mistakingly left my Pentax K1000 on the trunk of my car and drove off. Camera bounced on the asphalt several times. Left a few scuffs but continued to work flawlessly.

2. Dropped a Nikon FM2N while covering a college athletic event in the late 1980's. Landed prism first on the ground. Meter was damaged but camera worked well.

3. Dropped same FM2N in "muddy" floor of newly discovered cave. Turns out the "mud" was actually several century's worth of accumulated bat guano. Camera still works well today.

4. While trying to take pics of a waterfall in Northern Georgia/Southern Tennessee, I dropped my tripod on the slippery rocks. It shattered into pieces. It was an aluminum tripod.

5. Dropped a Nikon D1X while riding a monorail at Disney. Startled everyone around me. Lost the circular eyepiece.

6. Dropped a Panasonic m4/3 (G3 I think) on the ground at a parking lot in Disney. Some scratches but camera still works well several years later.

7. Not a fall, but equally annoying: While shooting an outdoor wedding several years ago, I left a large camera bag with my spare camera, spare lenes, spare flash on the floor near me unattended. Some random dog urinated on the camera bag, and a nice wedding guest hosed the camera bag with water to get the dog pee off of it.

Jan 27, 2023 at 07:51 AM
InFocus2014
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Finally dropped a camera....

GMPhotography wrote:
Not sure rider home insurance actually covers outside USA, something to check. Being a Pro I could not use a rider insurance Home policy so had to get a business insurance one. Don't forget you will have a deductible usually 500 or 1000

Homeowner insurance companies very often cancel policies after claims are made against the policy. I would hate to add the rider for cameras/lenses only to have the full policy canceled for a camera loss. For that reason I prefer to use separate, dedicated camera insurers.

Jan 27, 2023 at 08:46 AM
Erichimedes
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Finally dropped a camera....

mikekel wrote:
Less than 24 hours after ordering a new A7RV I decided to take my A7RIII, which was in really good shape and was to be put up for sale tomorrow, out with the metabones adapter and a Canon wide angle, to the beach for a quick test. Coming back to the car, managed to lose footing, fall down and smash the rear screen. So this morning was going to resell for $1000, this afternoon looking at $500 plus for a repair.... go figure

Out of curiosity, have you thought about selling it as-is? If it's just the screen, someone may want it the way it is for the appropriate discount. I've thought about this exact thing because I use the screen so infrequently, that I'd love to have a backup body, but I can't afford one. I might take a flyer on one with a broken screen.

Jan 28, 2023 at 01:25 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.