New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Finally dropped a camera....

mikekel
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Finally dropped a camera....

Less than 24 hours after ordering a new A7RV I decided to take my A7RIII, which was in really good shape and was to be put up for sale tomorrow, out with the metabones adapter and a Canon wide angle, to the beach for a quick test. Coming back to the car, managed to lose footing, fall down and smash the rear screen. So this morning was going to resell for $1000, this afternoon looking at $500 plus for a repair.... go figure

**Update - Decided to send the camera in to Phototech for an estimate. $720 for a new board and rear display and labor. Labor was only $165. The A7R3 will live to shoot another day! Hoping to see it in a week or so. Very satisfied with Phototech response, quote and the other things they will do (general maintenance, etc), plus 6 months warranty.

Edited on Feb 04, 2023 at 09:08 AM · View previous versions

Jan 24, 2023 at 05:02 PM
lattesweden
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Finally dropped a camera....

Shit happens when one least expect it. Sorry for your loss.

Jan 24, 2023 at 05:12 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Finally dropped a camera....

I always fear this will happen when packing up a sold item for shipping…. What a bummer!

Jan 24, 2023 at 05:17 PM
dcisive
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Finally dropped a camera....

And now you'll know why I ALWAYS ALWAYS have my camera IN a padded holster bag IF I'm not shooting with it. I can't say I ever dropped a camera in general, but IF I did at least it would be well protected. Being OCD does have it's perks.

Jan 24, 2023 at 05:19 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Finally dropped a camera....

that sucks. has happened to me. was in the gorge in oregon, and i slipped and went camera first into a rock. disclocated my shoulder - had to hike out with it not in socket.

but no damage to the camera or lens - wouldve been cheaper haha

Jan 24, 2023 at 05:57 PM
RoamingScott
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Finally dropped a camera....

This is why you add an insurance rider to your home policy!

Jan 24, 2023 at 06:08 PM
PaulMoorePhoto

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Finally dropped a camera....

I almost dropped my loved but old A7R2 the other day and I won’t lie. Visions of happily unboxing a newer model briefly flashed through my mind. 🤣

Jan 24, 2023 at 06:25 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Finally dropped a camera....

The bigger question are you okay. Screw the gear it’s replaceable

Jan 24, 2023 at 06:33 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Finally dropped a camera....

mikekel wrote:
Less than 24 hours after ordering a new A7RV I decided to take my A7RIII, which was in really good shape and was to be put up for sale tomorrow, out with the metabones adapter and a Canon wide angle, to the beach for a quick test. Coming back to the car, managed to lose footing, fall down and smash the rear screen. So this morning was going to resell for $1000, this afternoon looking at $500 plus for a repair.... go figure

It happens to the best of us. I think it was Fred who once dropped his perfect and mint copy of the Sony 24-70 f/2.8 GM into deep water.

Jan 24, 2023 at 09:30 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Finally dropped a camera....

Shooting a religious festival from the Ganges river in India I saw 3 cameras go splash into the river, two of the photographers had no spare and the 3rd did not have his spare with him.

I always travel with a spare camera because you never know when it’s your turn.

Jan 24, 2023 at 09:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tsdevine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Finally dropped a camera....

I had my 5D II and Zeiss ZE 15mm flip off my tripod. Caught it by the lens petal as it tumbled towards the ground.

Jan 24, 2023 at 09:48 PM
1bwana1
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Finally dropped a camera....

mikekel wrote:

I tripped and fell off an embankment this Summer. My Leica around my neck. Focused the whole fall on saving the camera. It never hit the ground, not a scratch. 5 surgeries later and facing one more big one. Doctors say about 1.5 years to reach the best recovery I will achieve. Never going to bec100%. Still relearning how to walk. Will probably suffer problems the rest of my life.

I have great insurance but estimate total costs so far in mid plus six figures.

Incalculable costs to Wife and loved ones.

Camera was fully insured against all risks.

In retrospect I should have let the camera go...

Jan 24, 2023 at 11:36 PM
Frederik0711
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Finally dropped a camera....

I feel the drop to my heart.

It has happened to me several (6) times, but mostly due to being clumsy. I also dropped two flashes.

Half of them slipped out of my hand (Zeiss Batis 18, Sony 35 GM and Sony 12-24 GM), and two fell off my tripod (Sony 16-35 G and Sony 100-400 GM), and the Sony 70-200 GM II took a hit with me when I fell and hit the ground, all of which I wanted to return or sell. Kept the 16-35, though, which I like to pair with the Laowa 9 f/5.6 and Tamron 50-400.

I always use a strap now when using the equipment handheld (either a hand strap or sling, depending on the balance). When walking around with a tripod, I either grip one of the legs with one arm and use my other to support the camera, or put the camera in my bag (safer).

Jan 25, 2023 at 02:12 AM
newdom

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Finally dropped a camera....

I bought a brand new A7Riv two weeks ago, my wife dropped it less than a week later and dented one corner

Jan 25, 2023 at 03:53 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Finally dropped a camera....

My D300s got a crack in the top LCD, I put an aftermarket thing on it and it works several years later. Same with my D500. Aftermarket glass sealed it

Jan 25, 2023 at 04:45 AM
mikekel
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Finally dropped a camera....

my first thought after was 'what ever to the padded camera covers?' I always had my 35mm in one. In all fairness, I had the camera in a bag in the car, was probably 20' from the car when I slipped.

Jan 25, 2023 at 07:01 AM
mikekel
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Finally dropped a camera....

yes, thank you!

Jan 25, 2023 at 07:02 AM
mikekel
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Finally dropped a camera....

oddly, I feel better now with a broken camera. Heal soon, sorry for your injuries.

Jan 25, 2023 at 07:04 AM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Finally dropped a camera....

Back in the late 70s, when I was just starting out, I was covering a hockey match. I was climbing over a fence to get to a better vantage point and I dropped my F-1 with a 200 2.8 attached. The lens barrel bent and the body was all banged up. The F-1 continued on to cover the rest of the event, albeit with a different lens. My very first thought was "Thank goodness I've got insurance". Canon fixed them both up and they went on to shoot for me for another 3 decades. At the time, insurance was a very expensive necessity, but I was sure glad I had it. That camera was really tough. I'd be surprised if a modern body would have survived a fall like that, onto concrete, let alone continue to function.

Jan 25, 2023 at 07:39 AM
bjhurley
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Finally dropped a camera....

Ouch!

When I was a kid, a friend of mine borrowed his father's Leica and we went for a hike in the woods by a lake. We sat on a log to eat our lunch, but the log turned out to be the location of a yellowjacket nest and we were soon surrounded by angry wasps and getting stung. We raced off, waited a few minutes, and ran back to grab our packs, lunch, and the camera. I picked up the camera with my left hand and was immediately stung by two yellowjackets on that hand. Instinctively I let go and the camera went tumbling downhill and then plopped into the lake.

Jan 25, 2023 at 07:49 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password