Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Can flash be used during focus bracketing on A7R5?

Michael Gordon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can flash be used during focus bracketing on A7R5?

Flash during focus bracket on my Oly cams is available. However, as the electronic shutter is used the sync speed is slow. I looked at the manual but did not see any mention of flash during focus bracket on the A7R5. Any ideas? I sometimes manual focus bracket flutterbys (not an easy task with active critters) as fill flash really makes them pop as they have structural color and raising shadow in post in not as effective.

Jan 22, 2023 at 04:13 PM
j4nu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can flash be used during focus bracketing on A7R5?

It looks like so:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a7rv-initial-review

Exposure smoothing, exposure delay to allow flash recycling and the option to save bracketed images to a separate folder are also options.

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:33 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can flash be used during focus bracketing on A7R5?

Thank you for spotting that one sentence in the review. I wish it had the shutter of the A-1. It is not clear to me that flashes work with the e-shutter.

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:49 AM
j4nu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can flash be used during focus bracketing on A7R5?

Yes, I was surprised there's no clear explanation in A7RV help guide.
Regarding flash, only mechanical (/EFCS I think?) shutter can be used on A7RV.

Jan 23, 2023 at 01:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can flash be used during focus bracketing on A7R5?

Yes, I believe you are correct that no flash permitted with silent shutter. A1 e-shutter sync speed is an amazing 1/200. Also curiously with Oly cams the flash during focus bracket is restricted to manual only, not TTL. I trust Sony's is TTL?

Jan 23, 2023 at 04:44 PM
jeffbuzz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can flash be used during focus bracketing on A7R5?

Although the a7RM4 doesn't advertise it clearly, it will fire a flash with the e-shutter but only while doing pixel shifting. There are caveats like a 1/8 sync speed and needing to slow the capture rate down so the flash can recycle. I can only get it to work if I first put the camera in mech shutter and trigger the flash normally. Then switch to pixel shifting and the flash will fire while the camera is using only e-shutter to capture the shifted images.

The a7RM5 has the same instructions and caveats around pixel shift so I assume flash works the same as on the a7RM4. Focus stacking may use similar protocols so flash might work there too. Really need an a7RM5 owner to test it though.

Jan 23, 2023 at 05:40 PM
Burnard
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can flash be used during focus bracketing on A7R5?

I use focus bracketing with the a7r5 with studio strobe with mechanical shutter.

Jan 24, 2023 at 07:26 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username      Reset password