New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Speedlite output in ETTL

deone

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Speedlite output in ETTL

If I'm triggering two optical slave speedlites in the same group and using ETTL, do they put out the same amount of output? What if they are of a different power (e.g., a 580EX series and a 430 series)?

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:23 PM
Bassat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Speedlite output in ETTL

Good question. I went from using a mixture of 430EX, 550EX, 580EX because of the output in MANUAL slave mode. It seems quite obvious to me that if group A is set to 1/2, and one flash is 580EX and the other is 430EX you are going to get a different amount of light from each flash.

Since Canon master is seeing the preflash from BOTH members of that group, all it can do is select ONE power level to fire at that best lights the subject. If the master output is one level (whether that is 1/16, 1/8 -0.33, or 0.836893) you are going to get differ amounts of light from different units.

I must admit, I never noticed a difference in output from the 3 different flashes. But I knew it was there. I feel more comfortable with all 580EX II units. A bit anal, I suppose. Who cares, Canon EX II units are dirt cheap. Oh, so am I!

EDIT:
ETTL? With multiple flash units? You really need to be in manual mode at this point.

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Speedlite output in ETTL

I've gone away from using optical triggers in the studio. Now, I use hotshoe adapters on the cameras, with PC Synch and 3.5mm audio connectors. I daisy-chain the cameras together (usually two or three of them) with stereo patch cords, that are also connected to a pair of Elinchrome strobes through their own 3.5mm ports, and to a YN-E3-RT, that controls the background/alternative lighting (three 600EX-RT). Any one camera can trigger all five light sources simultaneously (i.e. it works), and each light can have a different output.

Jan 22, 2023 at 07:05 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.