New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · better grip on r7 part 2

volhoosier
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · better grip on r7 part 2

i am learning how to post photos with posts. bear with me. when it comes to learning new computer skills, i am not the brightest bulb in the box.

hopefully, there are two photos in this post. one shows the altered battery grip after the vertial part that usually goes into the camera body has been removed and the top smoothed even across. it shows the hole left in the grip that is covered once the grip is on the r7 body. if you prefer the hole to be more covered, black electrical tape should do it.

the second photo should show how the r7 looks with the grip attached. i believe it looks good and doesn't take away from the appearance of the camera.

i hope these pictures help show what i was trying to say in my first post.

once again, i apologize for any confusion and frustration i may have caused.

battery grip modified to fit r7

r7 with modified battery grip in place

Jan 21, 2023 at 02:30 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · better grip on r7 part 2

Does the battery grip twist under a heavy load? The R7 lacks the pin holes on the underside, so I'm guessing you had to file down the pins on the grip.

Jan 21, 2023 at 02:39 PM
volhoosier
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · better grip on r7 part 2

i have only used it few times. so far i have not experienced any twisting out of alignment with the body. i did debate with myself about drilling a small pilot hole in the r7 base to put the alignment pin in, but i decided not to. if it does twist during use, i will put either a rubber washer or fiber washer over the screw that attaches it to the body. that should stop the twisting. thanks for asking.

Jan 21, 2023 at 03:31 PM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · better grip on r7 part 2

This is the single reason I won't get the R7 even as a second body. Canon is asleep at the wheel leaving out a grip...although your solution makes me ponder.

Jan 21, 2023 at 03:58 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · better grip on r7 part 2

rwingsfan wrote:
This is the single reason I won't get the R7 even as a second body. Canon is asleep at the wheel leaving out a grip...although your solution makes me ponder.

I suspect Canon wouldn't sell too many R7 grips if they choose to make one. So I'm sure the lack of one was a well considered business decision, not slummer or ineptness. I'd never buy one. Now if Canon made an official R7 cage, the hybrid shooters (the main market) and kids would be all over it.

The R7 replaced my EOS M6 and it seemed huge at first. But it's only a little larger, but the R7 grip is substantial in comparison. With a small prime or zoom, the R7 is an ideal v-blog, coat pocket and purse cam. I like the R7 petite form factor but Canon made it just large enough to have comfortable controls I can use by touch memory. The M series controls were microscopic and hard to use quickly.

Jan 21, 2023 at 04:30 PM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · better grip on r7 part 2

Gochugogi wrote:
I suspect Canon wouldn't sell too many R7 grips if they choose to make one. So I'm sure the lack of one was a well considered business decision, not slummer or ineptness. I'd never buy one. Now if Canon made an official R7 cage, the hybrid shooters (the main market) and kids would be all over it.

The R7 replaced my EOS M6 and it seemed huge at first. But it's only a little larger, but the R7 grip is substantial in comparison. With a small prime or zoom, the R7 is an ideal v-blog, coat pocket and purse cam. I
...Show more

Canon offered a grip for Rebels, c'mon just because you wouldn't use one doesn't make one bit of difference. This apsc camera is aimed also at the wildlife segment and therefore it was dumb. I have used a grip on EVERY camera I've owned. No big deal really, I just won't be buying one.

Jan 21, 2023 at 05:32 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · better grip on r7 part 2

rwingsfan wrote:
Canon offered a grip for Rebels, c'mon just because you wouldn't use one doesn't make one bit of difference. This apsc camera is aimed also at the wildlife segment and therefore it was dumb. I have used a grip on EVERY camera I've owned. No big deal really, I just won't be buying one.

Good point. I've never seen any Rebel shooters out in the wild with a grip. They normally use them at arm's length in LV with a tiny kit lens. I suspect Canon has a warehouse full of unsold Rebel grips. Corporate noticed and invested in grips for their larger camera models. Ditto, just because you would use one doesn't make one bit of difference to Canon corporate. Canon is all about making money, and there isn't much money in making battery grips for tiny cameras.

Jan 21, 2023 at 07:44 PM
koenkooi
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · better grip on r7 part 2

rwingsfan wrote:

For some rebels, but not all. The SL1/2/3 only had 3rd party grips and the EOS RP only had a mini-grip. That mini-grip did make a huge difference for me, though.

I used this one when I rented an R7, it worked better than expected: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5545843

Jan 22, 2023 at 05:48 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · better grip on r7 part 2

volhoosier wrote:
i have only used it few times. so far i have not experienced any twisting out of alignment with the body. i did debate with myself about drilling a small pilot hole in the r7 base to put the alignment pin in, but i decided not to. if it does twist during use, i will put either a rubber washer or fiber washer over the screw that attaches it to the body. that should stop the twisting. thanks for asking.

All that is needed is a strip of that silicon plumbers tape on the base before tightening down. Once sandwiched in there, it shouldn’t allow any twisting.

Jan 22, 2023 at 06:57 AM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · better grip on r7 part 2

koenkooi wrote:
For some rebels, but not all. The SL1/2/3 only had 3rd party grips and the EOS RP only had a mini-grip. That mini-grip did make a huge difference for me, though.

I used this one when I rented an R7, it worked better than expected: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5545843

Nothing at that link

Jan 22, 2023 at 09:52 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · better grip on r7 part 2

You have to copy/paste the entire link. Or click here. I believe it's just the 3d printer instructions file. You will have to print your own, or have someone print it for you.

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:02 AM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · better grip on r7 part 2

rscheffler wrote:
You have to copy/paste the entire link. Or click here. I believe it's just the 3d printer instructions file. You will have to print your own, or have someone print it for you.

Thanks, this gives me more confidence to add the R7 as a second camera.

Jan 22, 2023 at 06:10 PM
koenkooi
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · better grip on r7 part 2

rscheffler wrote:

Thanks for the help! I keep forgetting that FM really doesn't like hyperlinks and goes out of its way to break them. I used 'open in new tab' twice this morning on this forum, you'd think would have learned that that isn't allowed here by now...

Jan 23, 2023 at 02:00 AM
Cnyphotoguy
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · better grip on r7 part 2

Someone made an updated version of the above linked grip with a battery door cutout - thingiverse.com link

Jan 23, 2023 at 08:04 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · better grip on r7 part 2

koenkooi wrote:
Thanks for the help! I keep forgetting that FM really doesn't like hyperlinks and goes out of its way to break them. I used 'open in new tab' twice this morning on this forum, you'd think would have learned that that isn't allowed here by now...

Just because forum software might break raw URLs, doesn’t mean they aren’t allowed. URLs can all kinds of weird characters in them and some of those might used as pattern or delimiters in parsing what you typed in your post text field and how the forum translates that into a nicer forum view. Usually a colon isn’t used in a typical web address, it used to be disallowed in older versions of web html. Their site should use typical query params or other appropriate constructs I feel.

All forums provide you the ability to put in hyperlinks or urls, you just have to use it. In fact the same exists for office products like MS word etc, where you can put in your link, then type the text you want to display for that link.

In FM if you look at the tool bar next to the box you type in, there is a button that has the earth and an chain link. Click that the next time you want to post an url. Viola, FM supports web links!

Jan 23, 2023 at 08:11 AM
volhoosier
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · better grip on r7 part 2

hello, in regards to your question about the grip twisting when under pressure, yes it does twist alittle so that it is out of alignment with the body. i found the best solution is to put a small piece of velcro on the end opposite the attaching screw and that keeps it in place.

Jan 27, 2023 at 04:12 PM
koenkooi
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · better grip on r7 part 2

TeamSpeed wrote:
Just because forum software might break raw URLs, doesn’t mean they aren’t allowed. URLs can all kinds of weird characters in them and some of those might used as pattern or delimiters in parsing what you typed in your post text field and how the forum translates that into a nicer forum view. Usually a colon isn’t used in a typical web address, it used to be disallowed in older versions of web html. Their site should use typical query params or other appropriate constructs I feel.

All forums provide you the ability to put in hyperlinks or urls, you
...Show more

I wasn't saying it is impossible I was trying to say the the FM software is opinionated when it comes to hyperlinks, compared to other forums.

Jan 28, 2023 at 03:42 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · better grip on r7 part 2

That makes no sense but ok. I explained that some URLs don’t follow proper formatting and FM code, when trying to pretty up your replies, has issues with some of that format. It isn’t opinionated, whatever that means. Each forum is different, learn how to use the forum tools and you won’t have any more issues.

Bring in the software field, I would say that FM code is klunky and antiquated, meaning it could be easily fixed up to HTML latest standards (fix up the regexp code to handle things better), but it doesn’t have some sort of “agenda”.

Jan 28, 2023 at 08:05 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.