Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Need help confirming frame rate doing high speed on a Sony RX10 IV

bradleyheathha

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need help confirming frame rate doing high speed on a Sony RX10 IV

Long story short is I've borrowed my buddy's nice Sony camera here that I've made a high speed film with and now that it's finished I need to confirm it's fps. I know virtually nothing about this camera so I had to find a youtube video to walk me through setting it up to do high speed, which thankfully went off without any hitches.

As far as I know I set the camera to film at 960 fps, but sometime when I was either copying the file over to my computer or importing it into my video editing program, a window popped up and said something pertaining to that if the file was NTSC it would be 960 fps and if PAL would be 1000 fps, or something close to that; and that's got me wondering. Memory is a little hazy and I probably rushed through that process too quickly. I'm in the states btw.

So now I need to confirm somehow or another what my video's fps is. I was hoping I could just pull the file up in explorer the fps might show up in it's 'properties' but that wasn't the case.

How can I go about confirming my video's fps please? Thanks.

Jan 18, 2023 at 06:32 PM
osv2
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need help confirming frame rate doing high speed on a Sony RX10 IV

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Jan 18, 2023 at 07:09 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need help confirming frame rate doing high speed on a Sony RX10 IV

Mine goes to 11... err, I mean 240/480/960 fps. You know the frame dimensions get smaller with each higher fps, right?

Jan 18, 2023 at 11:56 PM
bradleyheathha

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need help confirming frame rate doing high speed on a Sony RX10 IV

I downloaded MediaInfo and it shows the frame rate as 23.976. In a different forum I was told that if the frame rate was 25 or 50 then that would indicate PAL and thus 1000fps. If the frame rate was 24 or 30 then it would be NTSC, thus 960 fps.

I've opened this video in at least 3 video programs and they've all indicated this same 23.976 value, with one showing 23.976024.

Any thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/i5M1AAG.jpg

Jan 24, 2023 at 09:09 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need help confirming frame rate doing high speed on a Sony RX10 IV

You are confusing 'normal' movie recording (4k/HD) at 30P or 24P (frames per second), and the "HFR" option on the left top dial, which is 240/480/960 FPS at various frame sizes.

--- OR ---

You are seeing the *playback* rate (which is set in the HFR menu) of 60/30/24 FPS.

The camera lets you record at, say, 960 FPS, and set the file to play back on your PC at 24 FPS-giving you slow motion.

Given the screenshot you show, I'd say you recorded at HD, at the 24 FPS rate. This is NOT HFR.

Jan 25, 2023 at 09:27 PM
bradleyheathha

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need help confirming frame rate doing high speed on a Sony RX10 IV

Every video program I've used to open the file says the same thing, but it took 4 seconds to film a 2m 35s video.

Any thoughts?

Jan 26, 2023 at 11:27 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.