New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · Advice re: puffin photography in Iceland

rcm123
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice re: puffin photography in Iceland

I am interested in travelling to Iceland in July primarily to photograph puffins and other seabirds. The two locations I have heard have large puffin colonies are 1) the Westfjords area northwest of Reykjavik and, in particular, the Latrabjarg Cliffs, and 2) Heimaey Island and the surrounding Westland Islands.

I have concerns about Heimay Island. Although it apparently has a large puffn colony, it is accessible to tourists who have no interest in photography. While there are other puffin colonies on the tiny uninhabited islands surrounding Heimaey Island, they are only accessible by RIB boats and photography is very difficult/impossible from the boats.

From what I have read, the Westfjords and the Latrabjarg Cliffs are off the beaten pass and there are good photo locations that do not require a boat trip.

If anyone has been to Iceland to photograph the puffins, and can offer some advice as to good locations that would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has used a good photo guide, that information would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 17, 2023 at 11:30 PM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice re: puffin photography in Iceland

I stumbled on puffins in and around Dyrholae just off the ring road

I’m going back in August for my 7th visit.

Jan 18, 2023 at 12:12 AM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice re: puffin photography in Iceland

rcm123 wrote:
I am interested in travelling to Iceland in July primarily to photograph puffins and other seabirds. The two locations I have heard have large puffin colonies are 1) the Westfjords area northwest of Reykjavik and, in particular, the Latrabjarg Cliffs, and 2) Heimaey Island and the surrounding Westland Islands.

I have concerns about Heimay Island. Although it apparently has a large puffn colony, it is accessible to tourists who have no interest in photography. While there are other puffin colonies on the tiny uninhabited islands surrounding Heimaey Island, they are only accessible by RIB boats and photography is very difficult/impossible from
...Show more

There are several locations in Iceland amenable to puffin photography. Heimaey is one choice and the tourists will be a bother only during daytime. Assuming you are serious about photography, in July you will have the entire night to yourself and 99/100 of the Instagram chumps will be in their hotel rooms by 7 pm and in bed by 10. There is Dyrhólaey but that location has some restrictions as it is a sensitive breeding ground. Another option on the South coast is Ingólfshöfði where you are taken in a hay cart. ( https://www.fromcoasttomountains.com/ingolfshofdi-puffin-tour )

My recommendation is, skip the South coast puffins altogether. Instead, go to either Látrabjarg in the Westfjords or to the tiny island Grímsey in the North (it is the only part of Icelandic territory that lies on/within the Arctic Circle). There are other places but they will need special arrangements.

Logistically Látrabjarg will be more convenient. You can stay at Breiðavík - https://breidavik.is - from where the cliffs are a 15 mins drive. Another lodging option is Patreksfjörður, a drive of 45-60 mins. Borgarfjörður Eystri in the East Fjords is also a popular puffins site.

Exercise caution and common sense at Látrabjarg (and in Iceland in general). Much of Iceland is still wild and there isn't the kind of signage you find in the USA about possible dangers. Stay well clear of the cliff edges (photographers have fallen to their death here) despite the temptation to get closer. The ground is often very soft and wind gusts can also take you by surprise.

The last photo at this link should offer an idea of the general scene -

https://blog.parrikar.com/2020/05/29/puffin-latrabjarg-iceland/

Jan 18, 2023 at 03:51 AM
rcm123
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice re: puffin photography in Iceland

Rajan, thank you very much for your input. It is extremely helpful and appreciated. And, you photographs are exceptional - that's what i"m lookin for!

Jan 18, 2023 at 08:23 AM
keepclicking
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice re: puffin photography in Iceland

Rajan, those puffin images are outstanding! The lighting is incredible. Fantastic work as usual 👍🏻

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:48 AM
mike reid
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice re: puffin photography in Iceland

oh well never mind

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:49 AM
rcm123
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice re: puffin photography in Iceland

Thanks Mike! Great picture.

Jan 18, 2023 at 01:27 PM
nextlife1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice re: puffin photography in Iceland

Rajan Parrikar wrote:
There are several locations in Iceland amenable to puffin photography. Heimaey is one choice and the tourists will be a bother only during daytime. Assuming you are serious about photography, in July you will have the entire night to yourself and 99/100 of the Instagram chumps will be in their hotel rooms by 7 pm and in bed by 10. There is Dyrhólaey but that location has some restrictions as it is a sensitive breeding ground. Another option on the South coast is Ingólfshöfði where you are taken in a hay cart. ( https://www.fromcoasttomountains.com/ingolfshofdi-puffin-tour )

My recommendation is, skip the
...Show more

I went to both the Látrabjarg Cliffs as well as Grimséy Island in July 2019. They both offer fabulous photo opportunities but at least in my experience the opportunities are very different between the two. The puffins at Látrabjarg are very used to people and one can get very close; full-frame shots are practically possible with an iPhone. The setting is also very nice with flowers in bloom and distant backgrounds because of the cliff top location. But at least when I was there the opportunities to photograph puffins with fish/sand eels were very limited. First, very few puffins came in with fish when I was there. Secondly, when they did, they were coming literally straight up from the ocean far below, so there was only a second or two between when one was able to spot them and when they landed. Finally, at least when I was there, the few that came in with fish quickly disappeared into their burrows. I was only able to get a couple of quick shots. But got plenty of great puffin portraits, just without fish.

Grimséy is totally different. First there are many, many more puffins nesting there. Secondly, they are virtually constantly coming in with sand eels, krill, or a mixture of the two. They also circle multiple times at cliff top (i.e., eye) level giving one multiple very close shots. And the backgrounds are varied—distant water or cliff tops of varying colors, all nicely blurred due to the distance. Finally, when they land they tend to pose for a long time, often 10 minutes or more, looking around and giving one nonstop photo opportunities. And while the puffins on Grimséy are certainly a bit more skittish than those at Látrabjarg, it is still possible to get full frame portraits at focal lengths of 300-500mm. The link below will give you an idea of the type of shots one can get at Grimséy; a previous poster has already shown photos from Látrabjarg.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9cadpq4sw44wflg/AAC7hz8a1dHaWti5lrzJgrnGa?dl=0

Good luck with your travels. I can honestly say that Grimséy was one of the most fun photography trips I have ever gone on!

Jan 26, 2023 at 09:35 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice re: puffin photography in Iceland

Good photos, nextlife1.

My plans to Grímsey a couple of years ago had to be scrubbed due to bad flight weather. I’m not too enthusiastic about taking the ferry. It’s a great place not just for the birds but also for the solitude and to ‘get away from everything.’ (Well, these days there’s 4G virtually everywhere in Iceland.)

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:47 AM
outlawrock
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advice re: puffin photography in Iceland

We are going on a bird photo tour of Iceland in June. Not sure if you are interested in something organized, or if there are still slots available, but here is the one we are doing:

https://wildphotographyholidays.com/holidays/north-iceland-myvatn-birds-puffins-in-the-arctic-circle

Note we go to Grimsey island...

Feb 14, 2023 at 01:18 PM
rcm123
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Advice re: puffin photography in Iceland

NextLife1,
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on the Latrabjarg Cliffs and Grimsey Island. Extremely helpful and much appreciated. Also, your puffin photos are incredible!
Thanks, Rich

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:23 AM
nextlife1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Advice re: puffin photography in Iceland

rcm123 wrote:
NextLife1,
Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on the Latrabjarg Cliffs and Grimsey Island. Extremely helpful and much appreciated. Also, your puffin photos are incredible!
Thanks, Rich

Glad you found them useful. The opportunities on Grimséy are so plentiful one can get hundreds of shots like the ones I posted in a relatively short amount of time!

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:38 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.