New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4              11       12       end

Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

panos.v
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Looking forward to this. I had a 75/1.5 and didn't like the shape, 3 sections of increasing width (great output though!). This looks like it will be nicer to hold. I'll be getting a SC to match with my 35/1.4 II SC.

Jan 15, 2023 at 07:15 AM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

EVIL_guy wrote:
No bayonet hood!

Ugh, I hope it doesn't use the screw-on trim ring + exposed screw clamp hood combo like the 75 1.5. I strongly dislike that design both aesthetically and functionally. A screw-in-only hood would be even worse.

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:34 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

highdesertmesa wrote:
Ugh, I hope it doesn't use the screw-on trim ring + exposed screw clamp hood combo like the 75 1.5. I strongly dislike that design both aesthetically and functionally. A screw-in-only hood would be even worse.

I just used the hood ring as a mini hood, mainly for a bit of protection as the front element is so far ahead. I hate those screw-in things, I just don't get the concept vs a normal snap on/screw on thread one...

Jan 15, 2023 at 12:36 PM
Al Trujillo
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

And yet, no E-mount...(insert tears)...

Jan 15, 2023 at 01:15 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

The new Ultron 75/1.9 VM just got announced:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/vm-mount/ultron-75mm-f1-9/

Auto-translated:
https://www-cosina-co-jp.translate.goog/voigtlander/vm-mount/ultron-75mm-f1-9/?_x_tr_sl=ja&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

It's not part of the Vintage Line category. S.C. version is Black Paint and M.C. version is Matte Black Paint. Both weigh in at 290g. They focus to 0.5m which is very nice. Official Japan Price is 100 000 JPY (excluding tax). I expect Japan street price to be a bit below that (including tax).

Also the new Nikon Z-mount lenses got announced at the same time:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/z-mount/nokton-50mm-f1-aspherical/
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/z-mount/super-wide-heliar-15mm-f4-5-aspherical/

Jan 16, 2023 at 01:03 AM
ArchnemeSwiss
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Very very exciting. This lens is super compact, about the same length as a 50mm Summilux ASPH and a touch wider in diameter. Amazing. Could be my first 75mm M lens.

Jan 16, 2023 at 02:27 AM
fjablo
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

English page is now also up https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/en/vm-mount/ultron-75mm-f1-9/

My length estimate was off by a millimeter, fair enough

Jan 16, 2023 at 02:43 AM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Map Camera has them up at 88200 JPY (including tax):

https://www.mapcamera.com/item/4530076132658
https://www.mapcamera.com/item/4530076132665

Jan 16, 2023 at 02:57 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Amazing, goes down to 0.5m too (not that I care much for this). I guess it will be around 700 in the UK, will definitely getting the SC when it arrives here.

Jan 16, 2023 at 04:26 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

The size of this lens is very nice. I doubt it will block the 75mm frame lines really at all, and weighing less than 300g is great. This lens is on my to buy list if the performance pans out and will make a really nice two lens kit with a 35mm.

Jan 16, 2023 at 10:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Looking at this new lens and thinking about the naming of the other Voigtlander M lenses more, I think I have finally figured out the Voigtlander naming conventions. There are three names for lens speed: Nokton for f/1.5 or faster; Ultron for 1.7-2.0; and Skopar for 2.5 or slower. These are the names given to lenses unless Voigtlander wants to emphasize the lens' design and there are two types of lens designs they choose to emphasize - Heliar and Lanthar. So in the 50 f/1.5 Heliar they replace the Nokton label that would have been used based on speed with the Heliar label based on lens design. In the 75 f/1.8 Heliar they replace the Ultron label that would have been used based on speed with the Heliar label based on lens design, and in the 50 f/3.5 Heliar they replace the Skopar label that would have been used based on speed with the Heliar label based on lens design. Similarly in the 50 f/2 APO Lanthar they replace the Ultron label that would have been used based on speed with the Lanthar label based on lens design, and in the 110 f/2.5 APO Lanthar for Sony they replace the Skopar label that would have been used based on speed with the Lanthar label based on lens design. In this reasoning is correct the 90 f/2.8 APO is labelled a Skopar as would be expected based on the speed of the lens because Voigtlander thought it wasn't anything like the Lanthar designs, which it really isn't. In this way, Voigtlander isn't really using the APO label any differently than any other company. They just add it when it applies.

As was pretty clear to me before the Vintage line is a separate label based on the exterior of the lens, and the Classic line is a separate label designating the lens as a character lens. Interestingly, whether a lens has MC and SC coatings now seems unrelated to the line as we now have one lens in the regular line (the new 75 f/1.9), one lens in the vintage line (50 f/1.5 Nokton II) and two lenses in the classic line (35 f/1.4 Nokton and 40 f/1.4 Nokton) that have been made in both MC and SC versions. That said all three lenses in the classic line (35 f/1.4 Nokton, 40 f/1.4 Nokton, and 50 f/1.5 Heliar) come in SC versions, so SC does seem to be emphasized in the classic line which makes some sense.

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:03 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

CV 75/1.9 Ultron lens official sample images by photographer Seiket Mio.

From English translated page:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/en/vm-mount/ultron-75mm-f1-9/

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:20 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Looks good. Screw-in hood looks surprisingly nice, like part of the lens design. Leica would have used a retractable hood, but but perhaps that's one less thing that can break.

I'm guessing the black paint is not on brass since two separate weights were not listed in the specifications. Without brass, I think I'm leaning toward the MC in matte black.

Edited on Jan 16, 2023 at 12:34 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:29 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Similar optical layout as the Voigtlander 75/1.5 Nokton with spacing tweaks. Different special glass location and absence of rear aspherical element for the new Ultron.

Spec differences:

CV 75/1.9 Ultron is 60 grams lighter than the CV 75/1.5 Nokton, 9.2mm shorter, 49 vs 58mm filter thread and the Ultron focuses closer at 0.5m (vs 0.7m). Same angle of view for both at 32.6.

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:31 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
Same optical layout as the Voigtlander 75/1.5 Nokton with spacing tweaks. Different special glass location and absence of rear aspherical element for the new Ultron.

Spec differences:

CV 75/1.9 Ultron is 60 grams lighter than the CV 75/1.5 Nokton, 9.2mm shorter, 49 vs 58mm filter thread and the Ultron focuses closer at 0.5m (vs 0.7m). Same angle of view for both at 32.6.

Interesting. The smaller front element and barrel must be the reason for the slight edge swirl I see in the last sample you posted. I don't remember seeing that with the 75 1.5.

The close focus of 0.5m is unexpected but welcome.

I think this will be a great pairing with my 35 8E for a 2-lens set.

Edited on Jan 16, 2023 at 12:40 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:38 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

highdesertmesa wrote:
I'm guessing the black paint is not on brass since two separate weights were not listed in the specifications. Without brass, I think I'm leaning toward the MC in matte black.

I think that with usage, both matte/gloss painted versions will reveal the aluminum barrel underneath the paint though. The SC version should have higher veiling which may be a good characteristic for portraits.

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:40 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
I think that with usage, both matte/gloss painted versions will reveal the aluminum barrel underneath the paint though. The SC version should have higher veiling which may be a good characteristic for portraits.

I would prefer the SC, but that matte black would match my SL2-S Reporter really well

I don't know about Voigtlander's paints, but Leica's matte finishes tend to not wear as quickly as the black paint, which tends to be softer. Without brass underneath, I sure don't want a fast-wearing paint.

Edited on Jan 16, 2023 at 12:47 PM · View previous versions

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

highdesertmesa wrote:
Interesting. The smaller front element and barrel must be the reason for the slight edge swirl I see in the last sample you posted. I don't remember seeing that with the 75 1.5.

The close focus of 0.5m is unexpected but welcome.

I think this will be a great pairing with my 35 8E for a 2-lens set.

The Voigtlander 75/1.5 Nokton's optical design allows for moderate amount of optical vignetting. I'm not sure which will be higher but swirl is also a characteristic for the Nokton.

Here is a sample showing the specular highlight shape at close and longe distance for the CV 75/1.5 Nokton:

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Should we expect $699 US price?

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:57 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Juha Kannisto wrote:
Also the new Nikon Z-mount lenses got announced at the same time:
https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander/z-mount/super-wide-heliar-15mm-f4-5-aspherical/

Wow, the CV 15/4.5 Z-mount has a removable hood! Be jealous M and E-mount shooters!

Jan 16, 2023 at 01:07 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.