FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11              end

Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

nehemiahphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

@fredmiranda

Are you making a separate testing thread? I am excited for my copy. I have been waiting for CV 75/2.4 replacement for the last several years. As much as I love the 73 Sonnetar, not crazy about it as a landscapper/nature lens.

Mar 24, 2023 at 07:37 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Fred Miranda wrote:
Having completed the infinity resolution/contrast test, I must say that this lens has surpassed my expectations in terms of sharpness and micro-contrast, even when used wide open, for those who value such qualities.

Another good news is that both my MC and SC copies were well centered.

That is indeed good news! If mine isn't well centered, I'll buy whichever one you don't want to keep

Mar 24, 2023 at 08:44 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

nehemiahphoto wrote:
@fredmiranda@

Are you making a separate testing thread? I am excited for my copy. I have been waiting for CV 75/2.4 replacement for the last several years. As much as I love the 73 Sonnetar, not crazy about it as a landscapper/nature lens.

Yes, I will start it over the weekend!

Mar 24, 2023 at 09:23 PM
Tonzah78
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Just in time to solidify my decision. Hoping to order mine after the payday at the end of this month.

I've really been hoping for a successor for the old CV75/2.5. I really miss that tiny little lens. So I'm really interested to see how this lens performs on Fred's Sony. Juha's samples on A7C looked good enough so far.

Mar 25, 2023 at 04:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

Posting this here so it wonít clutter up the official review thread.

Even though itís tiny, THIS LENS IS A TANK.

I just dropped mine 3í straight onto a tile floor before I could even get it mounted on my camera. Never before in my life have dropped a camera or lens. It just rolled off the dining table (bar height) after I accidentally knocked it over with my camera bag. Iím shocked that optically it still seems perfect. Lens is still perfectly centered and rangefinder focus seems correct. It took scrapes to the lens cap, aperture ring, and focusing ring. The only functional damage was stiff focus due to the focusing ring being a bit out of round. But I carefully applied some heavy pressure to the focusing ring at 45 degrees to the ding, and now the focusing seems fairly easy. One things seems clear ó the MC version is not brass after all, at least the focusing ring, aperture ring, and metal hood are not.

Iíll may end up sending it back to Voigtlander for a repair if they can replace the damaged parts with new parts. If not, Iíll send it to DAG just to have the focusing ring made perfectly round again and have it checked out. Or you may see it pop up here on the buy/sell board for half off, lol.

So far I really love the output from this lens. My only real complaint is the incredibly short focus throw. I remember my 75 1.5 also had a short throw, but this feels shorter. It might end being fortunate that my focus is slightly stiffer than usual after being damaged since itís easier to focus that way than my old 75 1.5 was.

Mar 25, 2023 at 02:46 PM
tri_fin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

I bet that was a tough experience. You seemed to have coped with it well! I bet you were nervous when checking to see if it was centred..

Mar 25, 2023 at 03:25 PM
highdesertmesa
• • • •
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · Cosina to release Voigtlander 75mm f/1.9 VM

tri_fin wrote:
I bet that was a tough experience. You seemed to have coped with it well! I bet you were nervous when checking to see if it was centred..

I didn't cope very well for the first 30 minutes after it happened I was nervous about the alignment, but first thing I was worried about was a broken element. I think it survived optically intact and aligned because it didn't tumble and hit the ground at an angle. It hit perfectly parallel to the ground, so the force was spread out a bit I guess.

The price is a huge plus for Voigtlander Ė I can replace it several times over for the price of an equivalent Leica lens. I've already ordered a replacement from Camera Quest. I'll see about getting the current one repaired, then I'll sell one or the other in the end.

Edit to add: Popflash (where I bought the copy I dropped) says Voigtlander does not repair lenses from the U.S. Only option is to send to DAG for repair.

Mar 25, 2023 at 04:38 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.