FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2023 · Flakiness in radio communication 430EX RT III

tsangc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Flakiness in radio communication 430EX RT III

rscheffler wrote:
@tsangc@ I use Elinchrom strobes with the Skyport Transmitter Pro (previously branded as Transmitter Plus HS - it's the exact same hardware, just newer firmware in the Pro to support TTL and HSS with the latest units) when only using Elinchrom hardware (not mixing with Canon Speedlites). Elinchrom, Phottix and Sekonic have a partnership and I believe the Skyport Transmitter Pro hardware is made by Phottix. In any case, it has been very reliable in the same environments where I have had problems with the Canon RT remotes.

Phew. I haven't used my Elinchrom lights in a long time, so this is good news!

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:49 AM
deone

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Flakiness in radio communication 430EX RT III

I followed pokemeng's example by taking my 430EX RT III for a drive :-) Even during the drive the two 430 lost connection. I then reconnected and left my car parked in a largish parking lot while I went in for an appointment...again connection lost.
So I'm pretty convinced that whatever the cause is, the radio syncing is a dead end for at least the current Canon flashes. The whole point, for me, in moving to radio was to reliably trigger and control a flash from a distance without having a clear line of sight...if that is this unreliable it is useless to me. I'm returning my 430EX RT III and continuing to use my older flashes with optical triggering.

Jan 12, 2023 at 01:46 PM
pokemeng

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Flakiness in radio communication 430EX RT III

deone wrote:
I followed pokemeng's example by taking my 430EX RT III for a drive :-) Even during the drive the two 430 lost connection. I then reconnected and left my car parked in a largish parking lot while I went in for an appointment...again connection lost.
So I'm pretty convinced that whatever the cause is, the radio syncing is a dead end for at least the current Canon flashes. The whole point, for me, in moving to radio was to reliably trigger and control a flash from a distance without having a clear line of sight...if that is this unreliable it is
...Show more

bummer that even away from strong wifi they weren't able to hold connection.

Honestly, i guess its better that mine stayed connected? but it doesn't help me at home either.
I have hope that out on my dog walks they can be useful as fill if i need it.

If it's worth anything I explained this all the a rep at the canon service center and they suspected interference from home devices also and confirmed that moving to the 600EX RT II would not help. I did not inquire about the EL flashes.

Its a even bigger bummer that 3rd party flashes cant use TTL + HSS and canon flashes wont stay connected.

Jan 12, 2023 at 02:56 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Flakiness in radio communication 430EX RT III

deone wrote:
So I'm pretty convinced that whatever the cause is, the radio syncing is a dead end for at least the current Canon flashes. The whole point, for me, in moving to radio was to reliably trigger and control a flash from a distance without having a clear line of sight...if that is this unreliable it is
...Show more

Sorry to hear this.

I did not shoot much with flash during the 2020-2021 peak pandemic shutdown period here in Canada, but before that the RT system was very reliable. I've used it since the beginning and at hundreds of events, such as weddings. At some of those weddings, particularly during receptions, it was very heavily used. The only consistent problem was it shutting down due to thermal protection kicking in. I've only had this radio disconnection problem since events started up again here in mid-2022...

Jan 12, 2023 at 06:32 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Flakiness in radio communication 430EX RT III

rscheffler wrote:
I did not shoot much with flash during the 2020-2021 peak pandemic shutdown period here in Canada, but before that the RT system was very reliable. .... I've only had this radio disconnection problem since events started up again here in mid-2022...

Bluetooth uses this 2.4GHz band, and the various Covid “exposure detection” systems including the Apple/Google one use Bluetooth. This means that in regions where that was used (1) people might have left it active, and (2) everyone turned Bluetooth on.

It would be interesting to see whether anyone is having trouble with these flashes in Australia or New Zealand. In neither country were these Covid exposure detection systems used to any significant extent – we had barcode checkins instead. (The Australian government produced an app but few downloaded it and almost no-one used it.)

As for 5G, it operates on different frequencies.

Jan 12, 2023 at 09:03 PM
tsangc
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Flakiness in radio communication 430EX RT III

In 2022, usage of AirTags exploded, with "Track your luggage/people/etc" stories all over. Those use BT Low Energy at 2.4GHz as well, though I think they also have UWB at a higher frequency and wider range. Another thing which has grown a lot is wireless earbuds...there was also the popularization of 802.11ax WiFi 6...many more devices have that now--which is the same 2.4, 5.0 (and additional bands) as before, but a different modulation.

I didn't think about COVID detection apps, that's a good guess as well.

It could be something else altogether different but systemic--like maybe they use a radio module where the lead solder process was wonky and they're all going bad right now. Or capacitors. I mean, leading up to a 2006 directive for RoHS, there was a huge rash of lead free solder problems with consumer electronics. Everything from XBoxes dying to my JetDirect print server card in my printer going bad...

If I was doing a drive to test this, I'd go far into a local park or similar as far as you can and try it there. Don't bring your phone or anything else electronic.

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:34 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.