Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2023 · A few basketball shots

soccerphotos

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A few basketball shots

After an iffy first outing with the R3 earlier last week, I went back to the same gym a few days later too shoot another game. Some better IQ but still a little soft and not sharp. I turned off all the extra settings - no tracking, no eye, changed to single point, etc - and it made using the camera a little easier. I will need to keep trying to add back the settings one at a time. The R3 was lightning fast - i will say that - and i will have to better control the use of the 30/fps or I will end up with way to many photos come spring soccer season.

Any feedback or CC on the softness? I had to miss focus or had the single point too low as it almost looks like the jerseys are sharper than the faces. I had to resign down to get the photos to post, so I hope I did this correct.

Canon R3 w/70-200 F/2.8 IS iii @200mm, 1/1250, ISO-4000, F/2.8

Canon R3 w/70-200 F/2.8 IS iii @150mm, 1/1250, ISO-5000, F/2.8

Canon R3 w/70-200 F/2.8 IS iii @120mm, 1/1600, ISO-6400, F/2.8

Canon R3 w/70-200 F/2.8 IS iii @182mm, 1/1250, ISO-3200, F/2.8

Jan 09, 2023 at 09:45 AM
carl_g
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A few basketball shots

It appears to me that nothing is in focus. Have you tried to simply shoot a static subject in that gym with the same settings?

Jan 09, 2023 at 08:15 PM
osv2
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A few basketball shots

soccerphotos wrote:
After an iffy first outing with the R3 earlier last week, I went back to the same gym a few days later too shoot another game. Some better IQ but still a little soft and not sharp. I turned off all the extra settings - no tracking, no eye,

those settings are key to getting the best results from the camera.

the tiny pics make it hard to see the issues, but it looks to be front-focused in some shots... among other things i'd be testing it with a different lens.

Jan 10, 2023 at 01:51 PM
martha482

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A few basketball shots

awesome

Jan 11, 2023 at 06:39 AM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A few basketball shots

I agree that something is off. Maybe post larger photos next time so that it might be easier to see where the focus actually was. You have plenty of shutter speed so motion blur isn't the issue. If you weren't using eye tracking, what did you use? What zone, etc? Also, if you are shooting at the full 30fps, is the entire series soft like this?

Jan 14, 2023 at 03:40 PM
terenceng
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A few basketball shots

seems out of focus. what is your setting??

Jan 19, 2023 at 04:00 PM
JRobertson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A few basketball shots

Are you shooting RAW? If you're shooting jpg in camera with in camera processing, the images come out terrible. It's a first for me, but in camera JPG processing seems to be exceedingly poor on the R3, but RAW seems to be dramatically better. I can't explain why this is, and granted it's anecdotal on my part, but that's what I've been seeing on my end.

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:00 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A few basketball shots

Why no vertical compositions?

Feb 09, 2023 at 07:04 PM
graycat
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A few basketball shots

The R3 is super easy to use, and there is something obviously wrong with how you are using yours or something else.

I am curious about the lighting in the gym these were shot at. Is it really that well-lighted? I just shot about a thousand images at a district game yesterday using the exact same setup, and there is no way I could get 1/1250 at those low of ISO settings. I have to go to at least ISO 25000 to get images that bright and that shutter speed. I can only dream of using an ISO that low in the HS gyms I frequent.

Feb 13, 2023 at 02:06 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.