New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2023 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

For many older photographers, like myself , the AF of modern cameras is often faster, more accurate, and more convenient than MF.

The focus-bracketing or focus-stacking that can be done automatically in-camera handheld is impressive and can only be done with a few models. Then there are always other features like in-camera panorama stitching and RAW Burst mode only available in a few models.

Jan 11, 2023 at 02:51 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

Imagemaster wrote:
For many older photographers, like myself , the AF of modern cameras is often faster, more accurate, and more convenient than MF.

The focus-bracketing or focus-stacking that can be done automatically in-camera handheld is impressive and can only be done with a few models. Then there are always other features like in-camera panorama stitching and RAW Burst mode only available in a few models.

Totally agree!

I know that with OVF cameras in the past, you could get focusing screens that would help with MF and macro manual focus, but the mirrorless have a few new tools to add to the mix for this as you mention.

- You can have a 5x or 10x loupe in your EVF for macros
- You can turn on focus peaking, the color and strength of the highlights
- Focus bracketing is useful in some situations

Also with in EVF simulation of the exposure, as you go pretty dramatic in settings for macros, you see the exposure impacts in the EVF before the shot, which can be helpful.

Jan 11, 2023 at 02:59 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

I'm late to this thread, but I'll chime in that I think your decision probably comes down to what style of photography you do.

While I appreciate the greater compactness of my R6 over my 5D4, by far the most compelling reason for me to switch was the focus tracking. As a candid people photographer, I found that eye-AF and subject tracking were good enough to put up with the disadvantages of an EVF and rolling shutter.

However, if I were shooting landscapes, many kinds of studio photography, or anything really where I could compose and work more deliberately, I would have no hesitation sticking with DSLRs.

The 5D Mark IV is a very good camera, and it would complement your 5DS well, IMO. While you can use adapters with EF lenses to good effect, it's hard to resist the pull of native RF glass, and I suspect once you buy in for one mirrorless body, you will soon feel compelled to upgrade everything.

If you don't need the subject tracking AF, then keep what you have and be happy.

Jan 16, 2023 at 09:25 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

Tim Carpenter wrote:
I recently purchased a refurbished canon 5DsR - purchased this camera for landscape photography, I'm pleased with the purchase and the images I'm able to create. The resolution is amazing and provides flexibility in cropping and large print sizes.

My other camera is a Canon 6D. I'm considering upgrading that camera for improved AF, High ISO image quality, improved dynamic range, and some improvement in resolution. I'm now wondering if I should give made the move to mirrorless and chosen one camera for all needs. Otherwise, I'm thinking maybe I should look for a used or refurbished 5D IV.

Just not
...Show more

If you did Magic Lantern on your 6D, might bring the DR up to R standards. I'd guess ML on Bill Claffs site means magic lantern.

Puts the 6D between the R6 & R6 II, right there compared to A7r2. Some risks but the 6D's aren't very expensive lately. Gets the 5D2 up over 11 stops, too, pretty close to the more modern cameras. Improves DR on 7D too according to his tests

Jan 18, 2023 at 12:14 PM
bridow
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

There is no reason to go mirrorless unless you need video or eye autofocus. Having multiple memory cards and readers will be a big pain. You can get really nice EF lenses at a steal of a price too. I went from 1DX2 to R5 and I really don't see any difference in image quality. Youtubers will say anything to get views. So, don't stress too much about sticking with EF gear.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:40 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.