New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2023 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

Tim Carpenter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

I recently purchased a refurbished canon 5DsR - purchased this camera for landscape photography, I'm pleased with the purchase and the images I'm able to create. The resolution is amazing and provides flexibility in cropping and large print sizes.

My other camera is a Canon 6D. I'm considering upgrading that camera for improved AF, High ISO image quality, improved dynamic range, and some improvement in resolution. I'm now wondering if I should give made the move to mirrorless and chosen one camera for all needs. Otherwise, I'm thinking maybe I should look for a used or refurbished 5D IV.

Just not sure making the investment in mirrorless really makes any sense. Appreciate any feedback.

Jan 08, 2023 at 09:36 PM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

The future is mirrorless. I doubt Canon will release too many more DSLR cameras or EF lenses. I had been waiting on Canon to release a 6DIII and finally came to the realization that it was just never going to happen. So I recently went to mirrorless. It's a bit of an adjustment, the screen in the viewfinder takes some getting used to, but there are some really nice advantages.

Jan 08, 2023 at 10:25 PM
Mike_5D
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

The 6DIII was renamed to the R6, which would make an excellent upgrade for the thread starter's 6D. They can be bought used for quite a discount now. If video is important, then I'd look at the R6II. Don't let the 20 MP of the R6 fool you: It will out-resolve older cameras with the same or slightly more resolution.

Jan 08, 2023 at 10:28 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

One camera is great until it isn't and then you have nothing.
Get an R6 II.

EBH

Jan 08, 2023 at 11:03 PM
enjoiyourlife

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

I shot with a 5D mii for many years before moving to the RF mount. I had previously also shot Fuji mirrorless which made me want to transition to canon mirrorless for paid work. I really enjoy mirrorless for the live view in the view finder and the RF glass is just stellar.

Not sure it’s worth switching to mirrorless for you now but if you pick up an R5 to replace your 6D, you can just adapt all your EF glass and use it as a main camera.

Jan 08, 2023 at 11:10 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

I have both the 6D and R6. I use both cameras and for most general photography there is little difference in IQ and high ISO images. Big difference in AF and tracking but if you are not photographing fast movement or animal/birds that's a moot point also.

Jan 08, 2023 at 11:35 PM
Gregory Edge
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

I made a similar post the other day. I have a 5D4, I do love it but lugging it around all day does get old.

I was thinking of mirrorless to lighten the load but unless I go with Olympus OM-1 is does not look like there is any real weight savings with FF mirrorless.

I am testing the OM-1 now. I have another week or two before the return window closes. I am mixed about it but it is a pretty good camera. Need to test it with action. Maybe I can get my dogs to play ball and I can photo them to test out the AF.

Jan 09, 2023 at 12:06 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

Tim Carpenter wrote:
I recently purchased a refurbished canon 5DsR - purchased this camera for landscape photography, I'm pleased with the purchase and the images I'm able to create. The resolution is amazing and provides flexibility in cropping and large print sizes.

My other camera is a Canon 6D. I'm considering upgrading that camera for improved AF, High ISO image quality, improved dynamic range, and some improvement in resolution. I'm now wondering if I should give made the move to mirrorless and chosen one camera for all needs. Otherwise, I'm thinking maybe I should look for a used or refurbished 5D IV.

Just not
...Show more

Fast frame rates and eye AF don't sound too useful for landscape. And those are 2 of the big draws to mirrorless

Jan 09, 2023 at 12:43 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

An R6 or R6II is the way to go for you. It has all the things you want in an upgrade. If you want more than 20-24mp, you have your 5DsR. Or you could go up to the R5, which you may find is one body to replace both of the ones you have.

All you need is a $100 EF-RF adapter, and you'll have a seamlessly integrated system that shares the lenses you already own. There doesn't need to be a huge upgrade cost to change all your lenses to RF. Canon really took care of us with the full functionality of the EF lenses on the RF bodies.

You could also look at the R, which is the RF version of the 5DIV. Though it doesn't have the EyeAF performance of the R6/R5, nor the speed, it will show some ISO improvement over your 6D. They can be had quite inexpesively by camera standards these days too.

I would not spend on a new 5DIV. I don't know how low used prices are, but make sure its worth it to you. If you buy it its a great camera. But you will miss out on the revolutionary features of the R5/R6 generation.

Brian

Jan 09, 2023 at 03:52 PM
xterra07
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

Try a mirrorless and see what it's like. Rented, or in store.
I rented a mirrorless camera in 2017 and it's been mirrorless for me since then.
Regular lenses with mirrorless body. Or in some cases strictly mirrorless lenses if you develop roots in mirrorless.

Jan 09, 2023 at 04:10 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

jedibrain wrote:
You could also look at the R, which is the RF version of the 5DIV. Though it doesn't have the EyeAF performance of the R6/R5, nor the speed, it will show some ISO improvement over your 6D. They can be had quite inexpesively by camera standards these days too.

Brian

As someone who jumped from 6D to the EOS R, I can "second" this. It's been an improvement in every way, except for the lack of in-body GPS (though the smartphone GPS option is close enough). Every now and again I wish I had slightly better eye-af and tracking capabilities or faster drive, but otherwise I'm quite satisfied with the R. In either case, those specs still beat the 6D so don't second guess that.

Jan 10, 2023 at 05:41 PM
nikhil.net

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

Another data point from someone who went from 5D3 to Canon mirrorless. I had never used mirrorless before, and the fact that the viewfinder shows you exactly what you're going to get in your shot can be really handy when exposing high-dynamic-range scenes. I would expect that in landscape work, that would come in pretty handy. Also, I bet it would be nice to see the exact effect of any filters on your final image live.

My exact use case is less useful for you since I went from 5D3+7D2 to an R3, but the R6 II and the R3 have an "optical viewfinder simulation" that you could initially use until you get used to the full power of the EVF.

Jan 10, 2023 at 07:49 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

Just get a used 5D IV, unless you know of some major reason why a mirrorless camera would be of much greater benefit to you.

None of us responding to you have any idea of how many more years you will be taking photos.

Jan 10, 2023 at 10:07 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

Here's my 2¢:

IF you photograph moving subjects, like to position them off-center, often work wide open or close to it, and would find subject/face/eye detection and lock-on tracking to be beneficial, then definitely get a Canon R5, R6 or R6II.

The other great 'new' feature in those mirrorless cameras that is not available in any Canon DSLR is IBIS (in-body image stabilization). With Canon's cameras IBIS works in conjunction with in-lens IS for really exceptional stabilization. Very nice if you tend not to use a tripod much. But I guess with landscape work you do often use a tripod and this feature might not be that useful, unless you also do other types of photography.

The 5DIV is a good camera. Very nice file quality. As someone else mentioned, at this point in the product life cycle, see if you can find a low mileage used copy rather than buying new, unless you prefer to have a warranty. Perhaps check Canon's refurb site for availability? It was a very popular camera and there should be no shortage of them on the used market.

Jan 11, 2023 at 02:08 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

For landscapes you barely even need AF. So, removing AF advantages for your work, the case for mirrorless becomes far weaker. I absolutely LOVE my R6... but if all I shot was landscapes and you love your 5DsR, I'd recommend sticking with that.

GAS is real and the grass can seem greener on the other side, but this is one case where I think you'd be burning cash unnecessarily by moving to an R5.

Jan 11, 2023 at 11:47 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

I lovel my mirrorless and since they work perfect with EF lenses, I would always so yes..go with mirrorless

Jan 11, 2023 at 11:51 AM
Tim Carpenter
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

deepbluejh wrote:
... but if all I shot was landscapes and you love your 5DsR, I'd recommend sticking with that.

I think the challenge is in lower light settings (both landscape and not), where a tripod isn't realistic. That is how I got on the thought of upgrading the 6D or as some have suggested...just shifting to a single body that can do all.

Jan 11, 2023 at 11:51 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

Tim Carpenter wrote:
I think the challenge is in lower light settings (both landscape and not), where a tripod isn't realistic. That is how I got on the thought of upgrading the 6D or as some have suggested...just shifting to a single body that can do all.

You should really take look at the R6 II. It has a lot of features that no other camera has.

https://youtu.be/NNtFJUMppuM

https://youtu.be/yfkhkfEK8gY

Jan 11, 2023 at 12:19 PM
CelesteForza
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

I would flip the 6D for an R6 and pick up an EF to R adaptor. Once you get acclimated with the mirrorless system upgrade your 5DsR to a used R5.

Jan 11, 2023 at 01:09 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D Mark IV or move to mirrorless

I can't speak for the OP, but if I use my Canon gear for landscape work, it's almost always in live view. While AF is not necessary, AF can be inconsistent, focusing on the wrong details. Manually setting focus is more reliable. The most reliable way to confirm focus is magnified live view. This is certainly doable with a suitable DSLR, but then you're stuck using only the rear display. For such use, my biggest knock against the 5DIV and many (or all?) higher-end Canon FF DSLRs, is the lack of a tilt/swivel rear display that would make shooting at non-eye-level height a lot more comfortable (6DII does have the swivel display). But I have to admit, since going mirrorless, it has been very nice to fall back on IBIS/IS and magnified focus confirmation in the EVF, hand-holding many photos I would have otherwise used a tripod. Not saying tripod is unnecessary, rather, that for some situations, it can be avoided to make an outing potentially more enjoyable for me (because I can cover more ground more quickly without the time lost to tripod set up and adjustment).

I also don't trust DSLR AF to be consistently reliable in low light situations. I often would over-shoot situations to be more sure of getting at least some images correctly focused. This is less of a problem with mirrorless cameras because they tend to focus much more consistently and accurately.

Something to ponder too, is how much will you use this camera at lower ISOs? If it matters to you, there's a considerable dynamic range gap of about two stops at ISO 100 between the 6DII and either the 5DIV or any of the current Canon FF mirrorless cameras other than the RP (which apparently uses the 6DII sensor). For example, 6DII vs. R6II and 5DIV: here. But this gap narrows as the ISO increases and eventually all three are very similar around ISO 1600.

If you're budget constrained to the 6DII new, then see about stretching to a used or refurbed R mirrorless instead. It's apparently the same 30MP sensor as the 5DIV and you gain some mirrorless benefits (though it does not have IBIS). I would probably pick it over a 5DIV. If AF is important, then I'd say R5 or R6II.

Jan 11, 2023 at 01:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.