Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2022 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

graycat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

I have an R3, but I use my 1dm4 for daytime sports with a 100-400 on it.

Dec 31, 2022 at 09:49 PM
IlyaSnopchenko
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

Let's not forget how the 1D series cameras (the APS-H ones, anyway, but I don't consider 1D X {mark X} to be the part of the same series, rather a new one different to either 1D or 1Ds) were the source of endless entertainment ... At least for some people (like myself). The game was to find the (nominally) APS-C lenses that would work on 1D, and use them, preferably with as less issues as possible. I did proudly partake, most frequently with the 1D Mark IV + Tokina 10-17 fisheye combo, which worked well from 12 to 17mm. Mind you, I've even adapted the 18-135 STM at times.

Guess that since the (original) 1D series has wilted away, the spirit of the game went into the sport of adapting FF (mostly EF) lenses to the Fuji GFX bodies.

Jan 01, 2023 at 02:18 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

My DSLR history consists of the 1D, 1DII, 1Ds,1DsII, 1DsIII, 1Dx and currently own two 5DIV bodies. I miss the builtin grip and the sound of the 1Series shutter but not the weight as I carried the bag through airports, hence the two 5DIV's. I may buy a 1DxII or III but my clients aren't back to their pre-Covid level of work yet.

Jan 01, 2023 at 11:19 AM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

I still rely on my 1Ds2 & 1D4 for a lot of my shooting. Neither will bring enough money on the used market to make me think about upgrading until I wear them out.

Jan 01, 2023 at 06:25 PM
Ruffo
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

I am "sheepishly" starting the new year with my 13 year old 1DmkIV.

http://www.ruffomichelotti.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Hardy_Creek_Portrait.jpg
http://www.ruffomichelotti.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Missouri_River_Ram.jpg
http://www.ruffomichelotti.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/New_Years_Sheep.jpg

Jan 01, 2023 at 08:07 PM
adamx12m
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

Occasionally use my 1d4 and it still works like a champ. Shooting with any 1dx after you really notice the performance differences but like others have said while it's actual value is low it's not worth selling. Takes great pictures and with current post processing tools, you can do quite a bit with a 16mb body.

Jan 01, 2023 at 08:25 PM
RexGig0
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

When I first started using Canon DSLRs, in 2010, first a pre-owned XTi/400, then a pre-owned 40D, and then a new 7D, in quick succession, I did wish that I could afford the ~$8K US to buy the then-current flagship, a 1Ds Mark III. Fast-forward to mid-2018, when I had more disposable income, and was using a “team” of 7D Mark II, 5Ds R, and 5D Mark IV cameras, I found a well-preserved, pre-owned 1Ds Mark III, for less than $900 US. I bought it, for the love of it.

Actually, when I could finally justify the expense of a new flagship camera body, I bought a Nikon D5, because my wife, the mentor who had guided my start in SLR shooting, was a dedicated Nikon shooter. We were equipping ourselves for nature/bird/wildlife photography, by then, and we simply could not justify buying pro zooms, and the big telephoto lenses, for two systems, nor would we want to carry that much weight and bulk. The D5 was the first new Nikon DSLR I had bought, for myself.

So, I had a new flagship Nikon camera, before I bought my Canon 1Ds Mark III. I continue to use both systems. I cannot keep a fleet of nice automobiles, but, I can keep some number of top-tier SLRs and DSLRs, some nice lenses for them, and shoot with them, for the love of doing so.

Jan 02, 2023 at 11:03 AM
chas
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

I too, like many, have worked my way up the Canon body food chain, starting with the 300D Rebel back in 2004. Other than that body and the 7D when it first came out, I have never bought new. I have always felt that that:
1: My expertise will never exceed the capabilities of a 1 generation behind body, and
2: The premium you pay for a new body coupled with the rapid depreciation as compared to good L glass was never really worth it.

I have always purchased my used bodies (sounds morbid) from members of this community, and have never had an issue. My current kit includes a 1DX and a 5DSR. Although better auto focus is always a desire, the leap to mirrorless is just too much of a $$$ commit I am not ready to make yet. And as pointed out by others, not sure it would dramatically increase the quality of my output.

As much as I love the 5DS R for the detail of it's images, I am constantly amazed at the smoothness, colors and quality of the 1DX pictures. I always felt that the 5DMIII images were the best I ever got out of a body, and the 1DX images seem to be almost the same. I find that if I am going to a location where I may shoot both action (aviation or birds) and landscapes, I never feel like I am risking anything by taking the 1DX. For now and the foreseeable future, I'm sticking with it and the 5DS-R.

Respectfully, Chas

Jan 02, 2023 at 02:22 PM
aznature
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

I keep R5, R6, 1dx and 7dIi in my bag/s
The reason is the setup
The R6 goes with the 800/11 with or without RF x1,4
The R5 pairs great with 100-400 EF II also the 7dIi
The 1dx plus the 600/4 is a killer combination with or without x1,4iii and x2iii

Jan 07, 2023 at 01:03 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

I just sold my 1D4 to my friend but I am keeping the 1DX.

Jan 07, 2023 at 09:26 PM
Sage11
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

I sold my 1DXM2 to help fund my R3 purchase and I don't miss it one bit. My 1DXM2 always seemed to collect dust or dirt on its sensor, despite my care. I have yet to observe any dust or dirt on my R3's sensor and I enjoy its technological advancements.

Jan 08, 2023 at 07:58 AM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

I owned the 1Ds, 1Ds mkII and 1Ds mkIII, as well as the D30, D60 and 10D. The 1Ds mkIII really had my heart. It produced files with georgeous skin tones, had a terrific autofocus and with a fast lens could even do night football. In 2019, the main circuit board failed (the only service it has needed). Canon would no longer service it, but I found a company that would. I still use it today for events because of its stellar autofocus and beautiful files. My 5DS does great landscapes, but I still love my 1Ds mkIII.

Jan 08, 2023 at 09:02 AM
roboticspro
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

Good Morning,

I still have one of my 1D Mk IV's that I use for outside high school sports with the 70-200, 100-400 and 500 L series glass with great success. The other (with over 300,000 clicks) was sold to help fund my first Canon MILC, the R7, for wildlife using the electronic shutter. As an old time/old school electrical and mechanical engineer, the sounds and feel of mechatronics all working in sync still bring joy to my ears, along with the ergonomics (albeit for the weight) of the 1D bodies...just my 2 cents...

Regards,

Edd

Edited on Jan 08, 2023 at 12:33 PM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2023 at 10:43 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

I've noticed no decline in the quality of imagines I make. All done with old fashioned and archaic equipment: 1DX II, 6D IV, 80D and assorted lenses.

Jan 08, 2023 at 11:08 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

I still have my 1DX body and usually pair it with my 300/2.8is. I really love the combination, I love the colors, the battery life and the durability. I've had several different 1D bodies and I think the first was the N variant which was fantastic at the time. There is a certain look of the 1DX files that is very pleasing to my eye.

That said, despite the rock bottom prices it might be time to let it go. In my head I'm not 'that' old crossing into 6 decades, but the weight of this combo seems to increase every time I pick it up. I struggle with a direction to go because I want the ease of menus and ergonomics of Leica and the features of the R-line and a long lens.

Jan 08, 2023 at 11:19 AM
CCoppola82

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Anyone still love their 1D series?

I grabbed a 5dsr a while ago because it was high res and cheap. I then grabbed a 1dx from here in mint condition for a steal. Really, I wasn’t planning to keep it but always wanted to try the 1d line. It’s now my most used body over the Eos R. I just love the thing to a point where I’ll probably grab a 1dxiii when the prices come way down. I have a stable of L glass in EF and still shoot film with a 1v…so the EF glass won’t be going anywhere. The weight really doesn’t bother me since I put it on a more robust strap. The thing I noticed about it that I LOVE is the battery life…and more importantly while out camping I didn’t baby it at all. I beat the hell out of it and don’t think twice whereas a camera like the R I’d baby a lot more because it feels like a toy. That in itself lets me get shots I wouldn’t otherwise get.

Jan 15, 2023 at 10:57 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.