Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2022 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

jaygould
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

I currently own two camera bodies from Canon (the full-frame 6D and the new crop-frame R10). I also own 4 lenses (the 35mm Sigma Art, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4.5, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro. I also have a bunch of Godox flashes, remote triggers, flash triggers etc for Canon.

Here is a breakdown of my current "problem":

- I am not happy using my 10-year-old full-frame Canon 6D due to issues with AF
- I therefore purchased the R10, and while I love the small size of it, I am not that happy using APS-C since the bulk of the pics I take are portrait shots (not only do I lack lens options in perfectly suitable focal lengths for APS-C, but since I shoot quite often in low light conditions I've realized I could benefit a lot by using full frame)
- I want to purchase a really top-of-the-line portrait lens (I have mainly looked at the 105mm Sigma Art for $1600), but I am questioning whether: a) I will be able to use its full potential shooting on a crop sensor and b) whether 105 (168mm equivalency on my crop) will be too long of a focal length to be ideal (or even just good in most situations)

So now I'm planning on selling my 6D and replacing it with a new full-frame camera. The question is whether to stay with Canon or if I should just switch to Sony. I could either purchase a Sony A7 III (for $1700) or a Canon R6 mark I (for $2100). The Sigma lens I want (105mm Art 1.4) costs the same for either system.

With Sony I would get access to a lot of lens options. With Canon I would be locked into the old EF lenses and be forever stuck with using an adapter (I don't plan on ever purchasing any RF L-series lenses due to them being too expensive).

Things I need now and in the future:
- Good (the best) autofocusing (eye and people tracking)
- Amazing prime lenses available at under $1500 per lens (50mm, 85mm, 105mm, 135mm etc)
- A small-sized sharp and good wide angle lens under $1000 that is good for landscape and astrophotography

So what should I do? Sell what I have and start over with Sony? Or buy a Canon R6 and stay with Canon? Or am I simply overthinking things? Could I be fine sticking with my R10 crop sensor, put an expensive portrait lens on it that costs twice as much as my camera body and call it a day?

Dec 25, 2022 at 09:54 PM
thedutt
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

There is a lot going on here so I would suggest that you are overthinking things.

What would I do?

Buy EOS R, RF 35 f1.8 , RF 85 1.8, EF 135 F2, and call it a day. You get 3 fantastic lenses for portraits, all native to the system and 35 f1.8 can be used for Astro & Landscape. You can add a samyang 14mm f2.8 also pretty cheap.

But you should do you.

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:17 PM
jaygould
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

Thank you for the input. Appreciate it. So you think the Canon RF 35 f1.8 is better than my current Sigma EF Art f1.4? Or why do you recommend I switch to that one? And you mean the RF 85 2.0 Macro, right? I would really prefer a good 105mm to start instead of both an 85 + 135 due to costs.

It's just that I have gotten used to the very good IQ of the Sigma, so switching to a/several non L-series Canon lenses would feel like a big downgrade. I am basically not using any of my current Canon lenses due to them having much worse IQ than my beloved Sigma.

Ideally I'd like to own:
- One camera body
- Good and not too expensive wide angle lens for astrophotography (interested in the new 11mm Viltrox due to good reviews, although only available for Sony)
- Small-sized and light weight pancake (or slightly larger than pancake) lens with good sharpness and IQ (only thing available on Canon is the 16mm RF, I have not checked Sony)
- A good 24-70mm f2.8 zoom for less than $500-600 (Tamron or Sigma, potentially an older used Canon EF)
- The 105mm Sigma Art for portraits (this will be the lens I will use 80% of the time) - available for both Canon and Sony

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:43 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

jaygould wrote:
I currently own two camera bodies from Canon (the full-frame 6D and the new crop-frame R10). I also own 4 lenses (the 35mm Sigma Art, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4.5, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro. I also have a bunch of Godox flashes, remote triggers, flash triggers etc for Canon.

Best to check the Godox stuff really does work on the particular body you’re considering. If not, a sideways move to mains-operated studio lights might be a way out.

Other than that, I see only two really good pieces in your kit: the Sigma Art and the Canon macro lens, if it is the later L version.

I am not happy using my 10-year-old full-frame Canon 6D due to issues with AF

I’m having no such issues with my 12 year old 1Ds Mk III or 13 year old 1D Mk III. I suspect your problem is not the age of the camera, but the fact it’s only a base model. Have you considered a used higher-level DSLR? (But beware, Canon dropped the “precision” -S focussing screens for many bodies a while ago. I believe your 6D was the last one which supported it. This screen makes manual focussing, and checking AF correctness, much easier with fast lenses, at the cost of a dimmer viewfinder.)

I am questioning whether ... 105 (168mm equivalency on my crop) will be too long of a focal length to be ideal (or even just good in most situations)

IMO it is mostly too long. I’ve used 180mm to de-emphasise a scar once, but the trade-off is it makes the person look more aloof.

Things I need now and in the future:
- Good (the best) autofocusing (eye and people tracking)

Are you sure? The camera companies are very keen to sell us on it, mainly because that’s what they invested in. I haven’t found it as useful as I thought it would be, and I shoot wildlife! I think your best course depends on the answer to this question. If you’re currently having trouble nailing eye focus on your 6D, the remedy might be as simple as buying a $40 accessory focussing screen for it.

- Amazing prime lenses available at under $1500 per lens (50mm, 85mm, 105mm, 135mm etc)

IMO we will not see native RF lenses like that any time soon, if ever.

Could I be fine sticking with my R10 crop sensor, put an expensive portrait lens on it that costs twice as much as my camera body and call it a day?

No, go full frame. The fast lenses you can get come in focal lengths chosen for it, and you already have and like one such lens.

There are a lot more such lenses available in the Sony mount; even Sony themselves make some stunning ones, although if you know and like Sigma, it makes sense to stick with them.

Dec 26, 2022 at 01:07 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

IMO the Canon system makes sense if there is something in the RF lens catalog that you want, or are happy seamlessly adapting EF mount lenses (which includes third party brands). Based on your comments, it seems you won't consider RF lenses and dislike the prospect of adapting EF.

It's perhaps crazy, but a lens I really liked on the R7 was the 28-70/2, which at the long end was about 112mm equivalent and therefore covers a lot of popular portraiture focal lengths. It's a sharp lens with gorgeous prime-like rendering. Though on APS-C the aperture/DOF drops to f/2.8 equivalent, which I guess is too slow for you.

The Sigma 105/1.4 on APS-C doesn't make sense for general purpose portraiture; it's too long.

I have no recent experiences with Sony's FF cameras and how usable their eye detection focus is for portraiture. I have several months of experience with the R6 in various social event style coverage. It has reliable subject/face/eye detection AF. Where I will criticize it, is that when it finds a face, it's completely automatic which eye it detects. And there have been times it prioritized the far eye over the closer eye, forcing me to restart the AF process to get it to switch to the preferred eye. The R6II, which I recently acquired, addresses this by allowing the photographer to toggle between detected eyes quite easily (if the camera is set up accordingly), allowing for quick overrides if the camera initiates AF on the wrong eye.

In any case, as I suspect you've already somewhat experienced with the R10, if primarily photographing people, the subject/face/eye detection capabilities of mirrorless cameras is a real and significant improvement over that of DSLRs. I would not entertain the suggestion to consider a higher end DSLR model instead. In my case, I came from a high-end DSLR (1DXII) and ended up with a middle of the line mirrorless (R6II). The mirrorless's AF capability is superior, especially the ability to accurately focus on a subject's eye when the subject has been placed well off-center, where DSLRs typically struggle greatly.

Edited on Dec 26, 2022 at 02:52 AM · View previous versions

Dec 26, 2022 at 02:47 AM
aagirlz

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

Sony - but I'd get A7iv or A7c personally. the option of lenses is wider and the ff lenses you have still work with adapter.

you don't need sigma 105 if you have canon ef 100 macro - you could instead buy the 65i from sigma or at 75 or 85mm lens on sony - on canon you have less choice

I don't think I ever used the 6d but did use 5dii - there is a world of difference to me atleast in the autofocus between these cameras and the current r6 or sony a7c I have - I doubt you can go wrong with either - so buy what you prefer that has lenses that you want - that said the adapters make the camera bigger.

Dec 26, 2022 at 02:51 AM
Choderboy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

I think the first thing is to clarify 6D AF 'issues'.
The 6D will focus accurately on a black shirt in a dim room.
It's very good. But this is only for the centre AF point.
The other AF points are not very good at all. If you have not been aware of that, you may find a new appreciation for the 6D.

There is no doubt Sony gives you huge lens choice.

Dec 26, 2022 at 05:44 AM
jedibrain
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

In your boat, in the Canon system, I think you could look at an EOS R. They are cheap now, and good for portraits. If you do some action photos, the R6 would be great. It really is a killer camera. If you stretch up to the R6II you can get the latest of everything and still at a great price.

You keep your Sigma 35 Art, buy a 105mm Art you want. For the 50 and 85, I'd go for the Sigma art for the 50mm as well. I have that lens and it is amazing. 85mm is not one i use much, and I imagine you might not either if you have the 105mm. But there are great EF and RF options for the 85mm as well. Sigma Art EF or the RF 85mm f/2 which also can do about 1:2 macro would be nice choices.

On the adapter - you won't even notice it in actual use. It is totally seamless (at least if you have the Canon adapter. I have not tried any others.). Literally won't know its there. For $100, you get perfect performance and access to hundreds of lenses that can be had cheap on the used market or for often discounted new prices. Don't overthink the adapter.

-Brian

Dec 26, 2022 at 09:10 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

I will second the comment that the 6D should not have focusing issues with proper calibration (and knowledge of its strengths). The center AF point should be accurate and consistent. Outer AF points are less effective with this body, so a focus/recompose technique is usually needed.

If you are not achieving good results using the center AF point, then I suspect your lenses need calibration. Verify correct viewfinder focus versus Live View focus and adjust the former via MFA on the body if needed.

For your Sigma lenses, you may need to update these lenses with latest firmware and do any additional necessary adjustments via the Sigma Dock.

Dec 26, 2022 at 09:18 AM
snegron7
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I sold my 6dmk2. I currently have an R6 with several EF lenses (they work amazingly well with the inexpensive EF to R adapter). I also have a Sony A7c with several lenses (Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 G2, Tamron 20-40mm f2.8, Tamron 24mm f2.8, Sony 40mm f2.5 G, Sony 85mm f1.8 and the Sony 28-60mm kit lens that came with the A7c).

My R6 outperforms my old 6dmk2 by a large margin, especially in AF and low light performance. Between my Canon R6 and my Sony A7c, they are very different cameras. If I could do it all over again, I would have not spent the money on the Sony A7c. It's a nice camera for travel, and I get slightly better detailed images with it than with my R6, but my R6 is built better. The irony is that while I use my A7c for travel, it stays in the bag most of the time. I end up using my tiny Ricoh GRIII Street Edition for quick snapshots of everything (I love it's APS-C sensor).

One thing I find about my Sony is that it's a bit buggy (evf flickers when you are shooting, it takes a bit from start up to shutter click, etc.).

Dec 26, 2022 at 09:58 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

jaygould wrote:
- I am not happy using my 10-year-old full-frame Canon 6D due to issues with AF
- I therefore purchased the R10, and while I love the small size of it, I am not that happy using APS-C since the bulk of the pics I take are portrait shots (not only do I lack lens options in perfectly suitable focal lengths for APS-C, but since I shoot quite often in low light conditions I've realized I could benefit a lot by using full frame)
- I want to purchase a really top-of-the-line portrait lens (I have mainly looked at the 105mm Sigma
...Show more

I agree that ff is the better solution for portraiture and landscape. Apsc makes the lens too long.

The R6 would be way adequate for portraiture. Great AF. So would the Sony a7iii.

r6 would work really well with your EF lens. And better than Sony. Almost natively.

The canon rf 15-30 f4-7.1 is cheap and sharp and would likely do all you need with landscape.

I think you should rent a Sony and see how you like it. I have a7rii and had A7r and did not really like:
- body was not as comfortable with my hands as Canon
- I was not familiar with the menu and I found it frustrating
- the bulb mode drops you down to 10bit
- I think the canon has better wired shutter release, flash options
- dropped into lower bit rate in continuous - this is likely solved in newer versions
- I found the canon ef lens adapted to be more awkward
- The flip in adapter on canon with EF I really like for landscape. 1 system for filters.
- I found that the canon was way better at dust control when fstop is higher

Sony has
nicer really small lens. But for portraiture this is not a big deal. And canon is catching up with small lens

If you are planning to transition slowly to native mount, Canon will be better for you.
If you are planning to transition quickly, Sony has lighter broader collection of native mount lens

I personally found Sony ergonomics not to be as good for me. Only renting will reveal for you. Don't forget the peripheral devices (batteries, remote wired releases, etc) will cause you significantly more expense to switch in considering $.

Dec 26, 2022 at 10:16 AM
Ltgk20
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

The Canon line is very good, but without the desire to move to RF glass or adapted EF, and given the pricing ranges you list, I think the Sony will give you more options. The R6 is better than the a7iii in some areas and not as good in others. However, with respect to native lens options across a wide range of prices, there really isn't any comparison as, because of the open mount, there are so many lenses made by so many companies that fit natively on the Sony. The EF lenses adapt very well to the RF glass, but they're still adapted. Also, in the last few years lens designs and manufacturing from all suppliers has gotten better so, while still very compelling, the older EF glass will often not be quite as sharp as the newer stuff (though sharpness is not the only criteria).

Dec 26, 2022 at 11:20 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

If you move to Sony are you not going to get into the same issue getting expensive lenses? Lots of people using adaptors with EF lenses and those lenses will perform better on an ML body.

I had an R and love the sensor. For me 30mp is the sweat spot. Only thing is it has very slow fps so it makes tracking birds, etc more difficult. I used one for 2 years and I liked the AF so much my 7D2 never came out of the bag.

Check out the new R6II if you can swing that much.

Dec 26, 2022 at 11:33 AM
CharleyL
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

Switching camera brands should only require that you buy a Godox transmitter that is compatible with that brand of camera. You won't need to change your lighting, but if you buy more Godox lights, be certain that it has an X band receiver built-in. Most models now do and they are phasing out the models that don't.

My studio and field lights are all Godox or Flashpoint (rebranded Godox) and I have different X Pro transmitters to use with each camera brand (Four X Pro transmitters now).

Charley

Dec 26, 2022 at 11:40 AM
themb3life
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

Have you ever shot with the Sigma 105? If not I strongly suggest you rent if available. I rented it 2x and when I went mirrorless, the 105 was the lens I was going to build my set around.

Now having used it for nearly 2 years. My 2 cents, optically it’s amazing, the AF is razor sharp/fast. Now the ugly, it’s a BIG lens at 3.5lbs. I am a large framed guy so I can handle the weight but loading it into a camera bag with other lenses is a serious pain in the keester!!

For a full frame, I would advise getting either the Sigma 85 1.4 and a used Canon 135F2. Another option for the 100-105 length is the RF100 macro 2.8. I grabbed one about 2 mths ago as I didn’t own a macro and wanted a lighter/smaller portrait lens that’s easier to carry around.

My outdoor shooting season is over until the spring time but my initial testing has been fantastic, SUPER sharp. I understand 2.8 isn’t 1.4 but the bokeh is more for YOUR eyes than most clients, they care about the image being sharp/great composition. My 105 could be relegated to studio headshot work if the 100 macro works well. I would even consider selling it to fund the RF135 for outdoor work.

Dec 26, 2022 at 11:53 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

I doubt the A7III can compete vs R6 af

The 35/1.4 is supposed to be excellent EF mount lens, sigma or Canon, the 55-250 you have listed is one of my favorite lenses of all time, currently using STM. Very light 88-400 ff equivalent that fills the frame at about the same size as older 105/4 AIS etc 1:2 macro lenses on film. DPR used the 85/1.8 for its studio shot on the image comparison tool. If you like 100 and under $1500 the 100/2 is probably pretty similar, and might be more in the $300 range, even. Or less if you're lucky. 105/1.4 may be sharper but do you want every wrinkle & zit sharp? So EF lenses can be excellent imo. I disagree with 105 being too long on crop, maybe to some degree but I use MUCH longer for the few portraits I do like 250mm on aps. Also 200/2 is popular.

The 105/1.4 is large, as mentioned above, and I doubt putting an adapter on it is going to make it noticably larger? As far as not having any lenses I looked at the opticallimits test of the 85/2, a few days ago. Whatever people complain about, it looks very sharp. With the added benefit of 1:2 macro. 35/1.8 is only about an Oz or 2 heavier than 35/2 Sony, and has 1:2. 50/1.8 is very light

Dec 26, 2022 at 12:39 PM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

Whenever I'm unable to decide things for myself, I use an old, fool-proof method. ---- Toss a coin.

If you lean toward one choice over the other, use a coin with either "heads or "tails" on both sides.

Either way, if it "goes wrong", you can blame it on fate.

Dec 26, 2022 at 03:38 PM
muurman

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

I was using canon for multiple years. Then i bought a sony , tried olympus and now i'm back to canon.
so i would say if you want to try another brand try this first for some days

Dec 26, 2022 at 03:51 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

I mean, mirrorless vs dslr is roughly 1.5 vs 2 lbs for the full featured bodies. So if you put big, fast lens, over 0.5 lbs heavier than your dslr lenses, then mirrorless isn't lighter. I looked up the old 50/1.2 AIS Nikkor I used to have, 12.7 oz. A lot of these modern lenses are huge. Maybe the performance is a bit better on the late, huge lenses but mirrorless isn't really lighter.

Sigma 105 looks great but it's large for what it is. IIRC front element diameter same as 135 1.8. So given the longer FL 135/2 should be similar as far as getting rid of a bg. Might be the lightweight budget option.

How about the iconic 85/1.2 II L? That is a prime available for <$1k, last I checked. Proven portrait lens. You could get that and the 135/2 for the same as 105/1.4. So yes, there are definitely portrait primes in the R mount, using the adapter.

Dec 26, 2022 at 04:08 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Stay with Canon or move to Sony?

IMO if the OP is considering building an entire system around the huge Sigma 105/1.4, then he should also consider Nikon for their smaller 105/1.4. But because it's an F mount lens, it would require use of an adapter with their mirrorless cameras. Nikon also has a set of really nice mirrorless f/1.8 primes that balance optical characteristics better IMO than Canon's 'budget' primes. But maybe those aren't fast & sexy enough? Otherwise with Nikon you're probably stuck with adapting DSLR lenses if you want 3rd party options, though I think you can adapt Sony FE glass to Nikon Z? But still, it's an adapter, which OP doesn't seem to like.

Dec 26, 2022 at 04:36 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.